+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PST - Episode 31

PST - Episode 31

This week:
    0:50 - What gaming peripherals do you use?
    2:31 - What do you think of gear optimizers like Mr Robot?
    5:53 - What's up with the new premium Real ID feature?
    8:56 - Is there any room for melee in Firelands?
    12:37 - Is the summer slump in raiding going to affect Firelands?
    18:02 - Should racial abilities be more important?
    21:02 - Any tips to help raiders learn mechanics faster?
    26:39 - How is Months Behind planning to handle Living embers?
    30:21 - Is there a "right" spec for each class?

Loving the fact that you went for the spacegoat :P

Something I was wondering, could the premium service of being able to group with people on other servers be used for recruitment? This would negate the need for a new recruit to transfer servers to do some test runs. The only downfall I could see is the need to be RealID friends and privacy concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahler View Post
    Something I was wondering, could the premium service of being able to group with people on other servers be used for recruitment? This would negate the need for a new recruit to transfer servers to do some test runs. The only downfall I could see is the need to be RealID friends and privacy concerns.
    Well you can always remove that person form your real id friends list after the trial is over which negates the privacy issues.

With all do <3 lore =D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htTLWC1unMc
    loved it btw, keep on keepin on lifes a garden

The last question is a really tricky one but for me it's as much about attitude as anything else. When I run into someone with the attitude "I am willing to do/spec whatever is necessary to help the raid win the most." ... that's a person I really want to recruit. When I run into someone who says "I only want to play the game the way I want to." ... that's someone I definitely do NOT want to recruit as they are putting their own needs/desires before the raid. In the end this is a team game and the "optimal spec" changes so often there's just little to no room for people who are unwilling or unable to adapt and change with the whims of blizzard. I consider that attitude selfish and in a team environment I have very little tolerance for that. I've played a different character every expansion and in some cases every tier because I bend to meet the needs of my raid(s). I expect others to meet me at least part way.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Next to the murder capital of the world....
    I would just like to add a quick note for the "Any Tips to help Raiders learn mechanics faster?" question. You're essentially going into learning styles here. Just like in school, different people learn things differently - some people are visual (they can read/watch it then do it) others are tactile/kinesthetic (they MUST do it first before they really get how the fight works). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    30:21 - Is there a "right" spec for each class?
    Yes, there is a right spec for each class, and there is also a right spec for each person. Frankly the comfort factor that a player has with a spec has generally far more impact on the DPS totals than the actual differences in DPS between two DPS specs. The DPS differences can be often be as little as less than 10% under perfect conditions. In actual practice, 10% is easily overshadowed by individual player skill and comfort with their spec. So while best-of-the-best guilds will turn up their noses at anyone who is not using the optimal spec for whatever class, unless the guild you are applying to has server firsts or is aspiring to have server firsts, they really aren't in any position to reject someone based on spec alone. (I used to put out more DPS than all but on of the other hunters as a Beast Mastery Hunter back when Marksman Hunters were the "best" PvE spec.)

I find myself agreeing that there is a best spec for each class and within that spec there are typically a bunch of best talents to choose from (with 2-5 optional talents). For me, best is defined as having the greatest potential regardless of the human factor. In much the same way certain gear or gems are the best for that spec, math and simulations have proved it to be so.

In saying that, I come from a guild halfway through hardmodes, we had a Mage who really enjoyed playing arcane and initially that's what he did. He was never too far behind the rest of us either and so, because we wernt having to carry him and he preferred arcane, he was arcane and no one had an issue with it. However, certain fights did 'hint' that a fire Mage would be handy, maloriak, halfus, cho'gall being examples. So eventually he just permanently swapped to fire.

I think that's the key, play whatever spec you like until you start impacting the raid, then don't be a douche, swap and help your buddy's out.

Two other quick points. First while some people may state that they played the wrong spec and out dpsed those with the rightspec, all that proves is that the other people are bad, it doesn't, I'm afraid, lend any weight to any argument involving spec.
    Second, as with any change (keyboard turning comes to mind) players will find the new system a little odd, they are not as used to it and may experience a lesser performance. Again however, best is defined as having the highest potential, it's just a case of learning, or relearning how things work.

I preach this to my raiders all the time. A true team player does what is best for the team ... and that means things like specs and roles should truly be mutable. A good player can play any class/spec/role and nail it. Ideally we get people as close to their preferred class/spec/role as possible so they get the most pleasure out of their experience but a true competitor has at the top of "things that give me the most pleasure in this game" as "WINNING THE FUCK OUT OF THE CONTENT RAWR!!". To that end, the strongest spec should always be used for the role/class/fight the person is playing. If a person puts "being XYZ spec" ahead of "WINNING THE FUCK OUT OF THE CONTENT RAWR!!", then I honestly don't want them in my raid. I've now raided with 4 different classes in every single role they can each perform with the exception of boomkinn (which I hate, but will potentially end up raiding with come firelands). In the end ... I want to win the content FAR MORE than play my little special happy spec or whatever.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Next to the murder capital of the world....
    On the reforging...if you can add and subtract in your head fairly well - -you could also use rating buster. It's an add-on that will tell you how much you will gain or lose (percentage-wise) while you're in the reforging frame. :-D

+ Reply to Thread