+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Location macro

Location macro

Hi all I'm new to pvp did my first rated yesterday and wanted to know if there is a macro I can use to tell others in my raid group where I am so I can coordinate an attack on a base. Mostly for AB and cap the flag type BG's. I wanted one that would call out the name of the location not the coordinates. Is this possible?
    Thanks for any help.

I believe locations like blacksmith are subzones so yeah you could output something saying where you are with something like this (I think).

Code:
    /run SendChatMessage("I am at "..GetSubZoneText().."!","battleground")
    However in practice such a macro would be pretty much worthless.

1. If I'm a healer trying to help you run a flag, something like "going tunnel" is more useful than some broad statement that says you are somewhere in the horde or alliance base. Knowing a general area of where you are is worthless information because people can simply use a battle map to figure that out if they are people who need to know. Knowing more precisely where you are and where you are going is what matters.

2. Saying where you are doesn't help in a king of the hill situation. You don't need to communicate where you are, you need to communicate where the enemy is so that you can react to it by either re-enforcing or node trading. Something simple like "inc bs 5" is more useful than "I am at Blacksmith!". Knowing the enemy is there and how many lets others know how to respond.

3. Higher level play, particularly in rated battlegrounds will require voice communication (or even in an unrated battleground that is a preformed group). Typing is simply too slow.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-27-2011 at 09:09 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Pretty much if I was in a battleground with you and you started saying...

"I am at Blacksmith"
    Ok, good for you.
    "I am at Farm"
    Whatever.
    "I am at Mine"
    And I care why?

This is useless information. You're trying to simplify leading a group but this isn't leading. This tells me nothing about what you are doing, where you are going, what is happening where you are at, and what should I do in response to it.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-27-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

This is what ventrilo and skype was invented for ...

Location macro

I agree with all those statements it's just that at the moment my guild hasn't go a vent but we are organising one. I want to know this for our "scouting team" stealthed people scout bases and communicate if a base has a low number of guards.

Well again...

"2 at mill" is more useful than "I am at Mill".
    Saying where you are is worthless information, it really is. This information can be gathered from the battlemap. Saying where you are going or what the enemy is doing, that is information that isn't on the map. And at the same time, that information isn't something that can really be macroed.

+ Reply to Thread