+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KGPanels, images appear green after uploading

KGPanels, images appear green after uploading

Hey there,

I've been having problems to upload images into KGPanels. It doesn't matter if I download a package (I tried Aliena's art pack for example which also didn't show up properly). After importing them into the addon they show up green. I've checked out some solutions on the KGPanels page on curse (http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...kg-panels.aspx) and asked for advice on mmo-champion(http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-doesn-t-load.), but no luck on getting it to work again so far, so was hoping anyone here can help me out. I'm by the way not using any SharedMedia folder. Thanks in advance.

Do you see a preview of your tga file in the kgpanels menu when you load it into the art library?
    i.e. About the 4 minute mark of the tutorial.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8sGfa5Sd8

If you don't see the preview of it, then you either have the path wrong, the path is invalid, or the file is corrupt.

What path are you using? While you should create a unique path, the path must exist in a valid place for LUA to read from such as the Addons folder. LUA inside of WoW can't read and write files anywhere on your harddrive or any path you decide to create, there are limitations to where these images can be placed. This is the most common reason why people fail to get their artwork loaded, because they put it in some place where it's not possible to read from in game.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Did you lock the particular panel after doing all the creation/manipulation to it?

The movement highlight (which I think is more light blue than green if memory serves) should only be active while you are moving the frame, it shouldn't be permanent even if you still have it unlocked (because it only highlights one frame at a time, whichever you are hovering over). I believe green is the error color meaning the image isn't loading, which will also be reflected by the image not being previewed in the art library where they define it.

Most of the time this is either file issues or where they put the file. Since it's a packaged artwork collection it is unlikely problems with the files but rather how they are being used. If we know the path the user is defining when trying to import the artwork we can likely identify the issue as to why it is failing to load.

For example, little known limitation but you ever notice that no addons have spaces in their folder names. One problem with kgpanels is the user has to create folders of their own for the artwork and I remember one incident where a user simply created a folder with a space in the folder name. As a result, the file path couldn't be used. Addon developers are familar with limitations like this however end users generally are not aware of them and can make simple mistakes like this and not realize it.

Please provide the exact path you are entering to the tga file in your art library as that will likely help us identify what you may have done wrong. I really think your problem resides there, in setting up the art library.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Hey there,

I'm not sure if you read my post on mmo-champion, but I'll post it below as there's some more information there:

I'm trying to upload this image to KGPanels, but it doesn't work (well, I do see an image but it's either all white or all green instead of my own image). I tried using different paths to see if I was doing anything wrong, but none of them worked (\\x\\x\\x.tga, \\x\x\x.tga, x\x\x.tga) The thing is I think I used it in the past without problems (it's been a while). Right now I have another version of Windows installed (Windows 7 64-bit) and I'm wondering if it has something to do with this. When I save my images in PsP I have to choose between 16, 24 and 32 bits (and all my images are created using the power of 2 and not bigger than 512). On another note, I have installed WoW on another partition, but when I still had Vista installed I had it installed there as well when KGPanels still worked, so I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Hope you can help me out

When I was talking about my art showing up as green I indeed meant the preview in the in the art library. The exact place where I had my tga files stored are Interface, Textures, UDpriest.tga (in that order with reversed slashes (written in the way i described above) in between). I also tried Aliena's artwork which also showed up as green, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not using any spaces in any folder or file name either.

I believe the syntax for it is...

\\Interface\Textures\UDpriest.tga

I think there may also be another limitation involved. I'd recommend trying to move your Textures folder into your Addons directory and try that. For some reason I think there is a limitation around creating paths in the Interface folder itself but I can't remember for sure.

\\Interface\Addons\Textures\UDpriest.tga

Later when I log in I can verify the syntax of the path.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-27-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Ok, I did some more testing and it seems I managed to upload and see a preview of one of aliena's pics into the addon. However when I was doing the same thing with my own pic it didnt work, while using the exact same size as hers. My conclusion is that it's something to do with the way the file is saved. Any idea what the problem could be here?

Edit: Ok, I finally managed to import my image into the game =D, now the last thing I'd like to know is how I can make sure parts of the pic are transparent as they become white instead when I use it ingame. Thanks a bunch for all the help btw
    Last edited by deloris; 05-27-2011 at 04:12 PM.

I have the same problem, except if I use Aliena's art pacl it works if I use mine they don't. Do I have to use photoshop to save it to .tga because I'm using irfanview to save it to .tga

What did you finally do to get your green box fixed?

I had the same problem and after some trial and lots of errors I found the fix. I had to use images that are 512x512 in size. 64x64 works as well. The images have to be in multiples of 2 to work. Otherwise WOW can not read the image file correctly. Thus the green image.

+ Reply to Thread