+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guide on Tanking Neferian Adds, Heroic and Normal

Guide on Tanking Neferian Adds, Heroic and Normal

Hey to all you lovely tankspot bunch. I recently made a video on how I tank nef while on the adds. Probs should have made it a little earlier when but anyway here it is and I hope it can help anyone who is having difficulties or simply provide another point of view for the encounter.

Please let me know what you think

cheers Tsw

Appreciate the vid. I'd actually quite like to see one where someone does it perfectly. As you said, this was your first kill and you made mistakes - and that's very common with kill vids, as people seem to publish their first or early kills. It'd be quite interesting to see someone that had mastered all the tricks and was able to call those out. Anyone seen a vid like that?

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    Appreciate the vid. I'd actually quite like to see one where someone does it perfectly. As you said, this was your first kill and you made mistakes - and that's very common with kill vids, as people seem to publish their first or early kills. It'd be quite interesting to see someone that had mastered all the tricks and was able to call those out. Anyone seen a vid like that?
    Challenge accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    It'd be quite interesting to see someone that had mastered all the tricks and was able to call those out. Anyone seen a vid like that?
    Actually it's quite boring because on those flawless kills you just repeat the same 30 second cycle over and over again.

Mindset is something like this:
    [x] i got aggro on all 5/12 mobs?
    [x] shadowblaze timer is working and i've some seconds left?
    [x] mobs energy?
    [x] nefarian hitpoints? Do i have one of my cooldowns ready for electrocute? Else i'll have two save my shieldblock for it.
    [x] is stun ready? shadowblaze just hit the ground some yards behind the mobs and i can spare the healer some mana

@TSW
    glad to see you back in the game, your blog hasn't been updated in ages

A huge help is a shadowblaze timer for Nef so you don't have to watch our for himself and can just start strafing at ~ 2 seconds left on the timer. You're running way to far, just move about 20y between every shadowblaze (only run more if there's a pillar - healer line of sight issues!). Look at the 11th minute mark, the fire barely resets in time and you got some lucky blazes that saved your kill there.

If something goes wrong you need the room and it's a huge dps gain for your camp which doesn't have to reposition every 5 seconds to avoid tail/mouth
    Last edited by klausi; 05-27-2011 at 05:32 AM.

I found your recommendation of the audible countdown for shadowflame via Bigwigs to be of great assistance; Ive been trying to tank the adds but relying on visual DBM timers was not working well for me, they were often getting overlooked due to the high volume of visual information I am regularly having to process... I was either moving too much, resulting in shadowflame getting spread around too much leaving me with nowhere to tank the adds, or moving too little or at the wrong moment and getting the adds hit or too close to shadowflame making 1 reset hard and 2+ next to impossible.

Since using the Bigwigs audio cues, I was able to get it perfect on the first attempt: 2 perfect resets, shadowflame not spread around too much; I could have easily kept it up indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefius View Post
    due to the high volume of visual information I am regularly having to process
    I'd highly recommend remove almost all bars, you don't care for Nefarian's taillash, next dominion countdown or something like that. All you need to know about is boss hp (focus frame and or somebody on vent announcing it) and your next shadowblaze timer (during the 10 seconds in between you can plan ahead for the next crackle regarding cooldown management).

Most important thing when you ever screw up (which will happen): breath, check for the next shadowblaze so you don't screw up again and after that call for additional healing during the next minute, an external cooldowns during crackle w/o shieldwall up and the damage to stop if you feel uncomfortable with the speed of crackles.

+ Reply to Thread