+ Reply to Thread

Thread: marking targets question???

marking targets question???

hi all after much debate ive desided to go with a pally for tanking im currently lvling him to 85[currently lvl 72] though the df....so, heres my noob tanking question other then skull being the target i have no ideal what the other markings mean...can someone explain what the other markings mean and, what should be marked with what???....thanks in advance

Only Skull and Cross have 100% correct meaning - others may differs from group compilation and Your choice.
    Most popular (of what I have seen / used without misunderstanding) :
    Moon - Mage poly
    Square - Hunter trap
    Star - Rogue sap
    Orange nipple - Druid hibernate
    Purple - Warlock fear
    But if You will mark Star and tell mage to poly that he will probably do it, so there is no 100% defined. Usually square and moon are cc'ed as soon as You mark them and 99% works without problems.
    If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average

What I usually do is look at the group comp at the beginning of the instance and then assign marks, typically pretty similar to what was stated above, though for me triangle is usually rogue sap and star is repentance.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

in another variations Triangle can mean Hunter's Trap and Square is Shaman's Hex. Ultimatly they generally mean whatever the person marking says they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    in another variations Triangle can mean Hunter's Trap and Square is Shaman's Hex. Ultimatly they generally mean whatever the person marking says they mean.
    Ind
    Mostly moon is sheep but hey if there isnt a mage in the grp :P

It will vary based on the group comp (what's being talked about is basically a rainbow group, where you have 1 of every class, not say, 4 hunters...). Green triangle = Hex/Banishment usually, I haven't seen that in there...
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Triangle= Hex/Bind Elemental/Banish
    Square = Trap
    Moon = Sheep
    Diamond = Fear
    Condom = Whatever else

That's just an example of what we do. It does change if we have 2 of the same class. It's pretty standard though for people who play a lot.
    Jesus loves you seriously big time. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across the oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    What I usually do is look at the group comp at the beginning of the instance and then assign marks
    ^
    Always do this. Even if what you are doing is what some might consider "standard". Never mark things and not define what, or at least who those marks are assigned to. Never assume strangers understand what you mean, tell them what you mean.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thanks for posting this today. I went home for lunch to do a quick random since I won't be on tonight, and all the targets I marked weren't CC'd, nor killed in any specific order even after discussion. The hunter trapped one healer, then started attacking it (/facepalm), as well as the rogue sapping then attacking said sapped.

Funny thing is though, I made sure everyone had been there before and they all said they had. I asked this question EVERYTIME we wiped.

After getting annoyed after the third wipe on the same trash because the healer was OOM due to the trash healers not getting CC'd, I linked this page in party and left.

Blargh!

I'm lvl 55 on my prot warrior at the minute. Most pugs i've encountered don't even bother with cc, even if I mark to poly this caster or that. Maybe I've been unlucky. I recon this will improve as I hit the cata content again though, as before my Druid hit il346 cc was adhered to. After that people just want to blow through stuff.

"pull everything pewpew gogogo!"

My marking which I throw up at beginning with a macro.

Skull = kill first
    Cross = kill next
    Moon = poly
    Thong = hex
    Square = trap

Anything else is generally agreed at beginning. Based on who showed up.

Anyhow, marking is a really good thing to get into the way of. Great if you can do it on the move. I tend to autorun, target, mark skull, mark x, heroic throw, CHARGE!

But then I'm in fully enchanted heirlooms gear (which is extremely fun).

Hang on, I do x, skull, then charge in. Gives you a hop on the dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacans View Post
    Only Skull and Cross have 100% correct meaning - others may differs from group compilation and Your choice.
    Most popular (of what I have seen / used without misunderstanding) :
    Moon - Mage poly
    Square - Hunter trap
    Star - Rogue sap
    This is pretty much the standard from what I have seen with the different battlegroups I have been in.
    Though I do know of a few guilds/servers that X is first then Skull... O.o?

+ Reply to Thread