+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury aggro

Fury aggro

Welp guys are some of you know I hung up my shield a couple of weeks ago and decided to roll fury and slip back into the ole raid leading role. Here is my issue and I'm going to try real hard not to sound like a ass here...

While I was tanking I held aggro. I managed aggro, I did not let anyone pull off me...

Now that I am fury... I'm hitting around 18 to 23k depending on the fight. I'm ALWAYS up the tanks ass with hate. Our pally healer and tank are blowing sanc on me every time its off CD. Last night I spent most of Malorak not using my slam procs because everytime I did I would pull hard...

Any tricks folks?

Armory link just because I'm proud of what I've built in less than 2 weeks

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lubaulz/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there really isn't too much that you can do yourself that doesn't gimp your dps.

Things the rest of the raid can do to help you out.

- Rogues and Hunters should be tricksing/misdirecting onto the tank
    - Get Vigilance from a Warrior tank
    - Get your tanks to beef up their threat
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Vigilance doesn't transfer threat anymore...it transfers vengeance (and refreshes taunt)...it's worthless to put on DPS.

Are you not switching to adds during green/dark? There should be no way you catch up to the tank on Maloriak after the first dark phase...or the first few minutes in general...vengeance should make his threat uncatchable.

Banter:

A) Is the problem throughout the fight or the beginning? If it's throughout the fight like you indicate with the Slam comment - your tanks have issues, not you.

B) When are you using your CDs? If it's early in the fight, then it's you if you're using CDs early. Even with 3 hunters in the group, I usually wait until the second CS before I pop my CDs because if I get lucky with crits, I can make up close to a million threat in the 30 seconds DW is up, and if the tank isn't far enough ahead, I have to stop attacking.

C) How many rogues/hunters do you have? Are they all tricking-MD-ing on open?

D) Do your tanks actually know their threat rotations?

As Furry our only threat dump is Hand of Salv or HoP to prevent us from attacking - or pulling threat and dying which is highly effective but not very desired XD. So part of it is we have to start slow and then build up.

One thing I started to do when tanking was using my best DPS weapon, even though it's crit/haste and has no real survability on it because we have some good DPS. Your tanks might be in the same boat - if they don't have Acrid Death, getting them a soul blade or lava spine (even a heroic version) may help as well - though it sounds l like this is a problem throughout the fight so a better weapon is only going to be a band-aid, ot a solution.

On your guy - Hit > Mastery - you've got hit reforged into mastery in at least one place and haste into mastery instead of hit in another. Haste/Mastery is kind of a toss up for TG, at least I haven't seen anything definitive, but hit > haste/mastery.

Gems are str or str/crit or str/hit. No crit/hit. There's still arguement over the socket bonuses - but I'd say for a rule of thumb, gem 40 str unless you'r getting a 10 str or 20crit/20crit bonus per non-red gem.

Make sure crit is on all gear, like your worm breaker ;D And don't forget about reforging trinkets

Don't be sub-optimal because of threat - bring threat up, not your output down XD
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

@Ion - I am switching to the adds but I'm pretty much staying on the boss and cleaving / WW so I can get interrupts on the storm. I have found that when we enter Red I will stack twards the back and start dropping cleaves on the adds when they are brought within range. This helps a bit.

Log - In last night's raid I was waiting until the 3rd CS to drop my CDs. I am running with two pally tanks so I call for salv constantly in the raid. I just used Malorak as an example. Its every single fight. One hunter 1 rogue and they are keeping MD and TOtT up or so they say.

I believe I'm going to work on my tanks tonight. See if I can get on early enough before raid time to tear down with them what I did to hold aggro.

Gear/Gems - Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I'm pretty new to the fury game or the dps game all together. Back in BC I played a shadow priest for a while. lol. Its been mostly sword and board for me. I'm at 9.4 hit in game. At least I was last night before I changed a few things. I was under the impression that once I reached 8% I started looking into Crit>Mastery>Hit>haste. I must have been wrong. When is it the breaking point to start looking into Mastery / Haste over Crit / Hit?

Banter - there is no break point for hit. There might be for haste/mastery at some level of crit. But Fury is pretty complex and right now everyone feels that generally speaking its:

Str > hit to 8% > exp to 26 > Crit > hit to 27% > haste/mastery. Haste/Mastery is the murky part. I think SMF is haste > mastery and TG is mastery > haste, but I'm not sure.

If it's the entire fight, it's defnately a tank rotation issue. Do you have logs of the fights? I don't know Pally tanking, but there are number here who do and might see something.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I wish I did. I did not run /combatlog for the past two weeks because... Well, blame my Southern Edgeumacachion. I do know that both pallies were running in the 5 to 6k dps last night where I normally was in the high 9s to 10s while tanking.
    Last edited by Banterloft; 05-25-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Loggerhead addon - asks you if you want to run combat logger for this zone the first time you enter a raid/dungeon and then automatically records that isntance everytime you enter it in the future

Can you link their toons? See if maybe their is anything that jumps out?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...A2mhain/simple
    I pull of this cat but not as much as the next one...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../larlan/simple
    I dont' know what the hell he logged out it...

Howdy from another member of Stormreaver.

Check their rotations, and check to make sure they arn't using taunt in their rotation causing each other to lose vengeance stacks so they can't reach max aggro.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../larlan/simple
    I dont' know what the hell he logged out it...
    Ignoring the weird gear setup he's logged out in, he's missing a Prime Glyph and a Major Glyph in his Protection spec. His spec is also bad; Judgements of the Pure is a whopping ~20 TPS per point, compared to Rule of Law's ~180 TPS per point, plus has minor survivability benefits due to it affecting Word of Glory.

That's the sort of mistake that screams to me "I haven't done my research" and I would bet good money that he's making mistakes elsewhere too, so send him over to maintankadin to read up on some things. And get a log of them in a raid so people can offer informed advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Vigilance doesn't transfer threat anymore...it transfers vengeance (and refreshes taunt)...it's worthless to put on DPS.
    That's right, I keep forgetting that.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

+ Reply to Thread