+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My ST threat is terrible..HALP

My ST threat is terrible..HALP

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zim/soz/simple

Pretty much anyone doing over 15k+ on ST rips the boss/mob right off me.

My current rotation is SS on CD rend/TC/Revenge/Devastate/Shockwave at 3 stacks of TC buff and concussion blow on CD.

Course I only use rend once and TC will keep it up.

I know my hit and expertise are super low and those two stats are very important for threat. Any help or advice would be great! I just feel terrible when a rogue is getting beat on cause I cant keep it off em. :P

First of all, never feel bad about a rogue. They have 2 threat tools, if they don't use them, they deserve to get punched in the face.

When are you losing threat? Right at the beginning or deeper into the fight?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

At the start of the fight ill normally have a good amount of threat, so I would say it starts about a 30 secs in?

Rend is only worth using on single target if you have an Arms warrior, sub rogue, or feral Druid putting up the bleed debuff. You don't mention Heroic strike, on a single target this should be about 20-30% of our threat. Your major glyphs are a little funky, you've glyphed Piercing Howl, even though you don't have that ability, surely theirs something more appropriate for you. I would consider moving points out of Gag order, Thunderstruck, or Imp.Revenge and taking Cruelty instead. How often are you using Shield Block?

your Basic Rotation should Be:

SS>Fish>Fish>Truck

which restarts every time you get a SnB proc. Fish is either Devastate, or if your Rage starving, Revenge. Truck are your Truck abilities, CB, HT & Shockwave.

I had the same problem with a rogue. Dispite the fact that all rogues are pro and will own your face in a duel, if he cant reach his dps cieling without ripping threat off you hes probily just bad.
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Quote Originally Posted by Brackit View Post
    At the start of the fight ill normally have a good amount of threat, so I would say it starts about a 30 secs in?
    If it starts in, you probably aren't hitting HS enough like Teng said.

Moving the points from Gag Order into Cruelty will improve your TPS, but it won't solve it - but it is a help. Teng's right about this, just don't expect it to be a cure-all.

I didn't even look at glyphs --ooh Not much there to improve single target, but Cleave, Thunderclasp (for larger TC radius), and Demo shout glyphs are the key ones in your majors and minor.

It might be possible that the rogue is popping all his CDs 30 seconds into the fight and if he's good, he might be able to pull off (I know on an average tank I can pull off if I pop my CDs too early) - but he still has Tricks he can use to start this and don't rogues have a fade like ability to drop threat? Bad rogue is bad..

Using Inner Rage right after you shield block will often be a good idea, allowing you to use HS more often, building threat faster. Are you using Shield Block on CD to add Heavy Repercussions to your SSs?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Well I do use HS when above 60-70 Rage, I guess it's so natural to hit it I didn't mention it. Ill look into taking points out in gag order and throwing them into cruelty.

I do actually hit SB. I just switched to my tank spec the other day from arms pvp, thats why my glyphs are so nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Rend is only worth using on single target if you have an Arms warrior, sub rogue, or feral Druid putting up the bleed debuff. You don't mention Heroic strike, on a single target this should be about 20-30% of our threat. Your major glyphs are a little funky, you've glyphed Piercing Howl, even though you don't have that ability, surely theirs something more appropriate for you. I would consider moving points out of Gag order, Thunderstruck, or Imp.Revenge and taking Cruelty instead. How often are you using Shield Block?

your Basic Rotation should Be:

SS>Fish>Fish>Truck

which restarts every time you get a SnB proc. Fish is either Devastate, or if your Rage starving, Revenge. Truck are your Truck abilities, CB, HT & Shockwave.
    I prefer SS>Duck>Duck>Goose
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Quote Originally Posted by truculent View Post
    I had the same problem with a rogue. Dispite the fact that all rogues are pro and will own your face in a duel, if he cant reach his dps cieling without ripping threat off you hes probily just bad.
    If a rogue isn't using TOtT AND blowing off their aggro when need be I decide to make them dance. I turn the boss this way and that way. Everytime I see them behind the boss again I just turn some more. Same with kitties. By the time the song is over I've gain enough threat not to worry about it. The only one this doesn't work for is a fury/arms warrior. They have no aggro dump other than sitting in the corner in time out for a few seconds out of every minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

well it's any dps over 15k in general...I can't really say its all the time, I just feel uncomfortable tanking a ST fight when it gets ripped off me so easily. Who knows, ill switch my talents around tonight and see how it works out.

is this in a raid or a dungeon?

i'm having trouble thinking about that if 15k is ripping aggro you're pulling about 5k. Could you run a decent single target boss fight and tell us what your distribution of damage is between abilities, something like Prince Ulthokk or Slabhide. I think something is going wrong in your execution but i can't think what.

Alright ill be running some tonight...i'm switching my talents over to cruelty as well, so maybe it wont be "as" bad. :P

Oh it's dungeon btw, I have yet to raid tank. Mostly cause I feel i'm not ready. :P

I had the same issue as you, not being able to put my finger of what was lacking. Turned out it was that I didn't use HS much at all, and as soon as I specced into Incite 3/3 it all went away. You'll get so much rage a while into the fight that HS is the best bet to spend it on, and some crits on that will put you safely ahead on threat. Good luck!

It may also be a matter of reflexes. Grab a mod like Miks Scrolling Battle Text that'll say in big letters SHIELD SLAM READY so you can nail those S&B procs. Check your keybindings. Maybe they're a little awkward. If you run recount, check on a fight to see how many shield slams you hit on a boss and compare that to another tank when you run dps. And as everyone has mentioned, hammer heroic strike freely.
    If anyone in this nation could read, they'd be outraged!

+ Reply to Thread