+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Personal raid icons?

Personal raid icons?

Another nub question here...

Is there such thing as an add-on that can make personal raid icons that only you can see?

For example it would be helpful if I could mark the squishies in my group so I can immediately recognize when they are being attacked and where they are located.

Appreciate any help.

I have never heard of that, but I guess you never know.

I use my VuhDo addon, and I'm pretty sure you can single out certain people with the private tank module raid frame. This addon is very versatile and I couldn't heal without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Marking them in the world frame would be impractical because you would actually be looking at them in your unit frames. Functionally a nameplate mod could accomplish something similar to this however they tend to focus on hostile nameplate functionality rather than friendly nameplate usage. This is simply because healers, those primarily concerned with friendly units, perform their role via use of unit frames rather than name plates where as a tank which is primarily concerned with hostile units often does parts of their role via the use of nameplates (because it's not functionally possible to have hostile unit frames for every hostile unit).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Are you talking about pulling aggro back off of squishy units?
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Banterloft View Post
    Are you talking about pulling aggro back off of squishy units?
    Well what I'm trying to do is to mark the squishies so they are more easily identifiable in the chaos. If a somewhat non-squishy is being attacked I don't have to be so alarmed. I'm just trying to make it easy for me to recognize when they are being attacked.

I like to use TinyTip with targets set so that when I mouseover mobs, I can see quite clearly the ones that aren't attacking me. If that name is in blue (mage) or white (priest) etc then I know that's one I have to sort out fast.

I'm not sure I can think of anything to help you otherwise.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Tinytip, threat plates and vuhdo are all really great addons. If you're a healer I would get vuhdo and just give them a group titled 'Smushys' or tell them to stop pulling aggro >.>/

I remember reading something along the lines that how the Blizzard API handles mob IDs that your interface couldn't identify individuals of a given species. I lieu of the great ideas already posted, you should really encourage those squishies that can stand at range to stand at range, and all squishies to make good use of thier threat dumps (windsheer, Fade, TotT, Vanish, MD, feighn death, Mirror Images, Fade, soul shatter and invisibilty) lest they become squisheds.

Your raid fame should show if any raid member has threat on something. If you see a blue square with some red on it, it's probably a mage with threat, for example.

If you're tanking, the only people with threat should be you and any other tanks. Both the tank and the person with aggro should be doing something about it when it happens, regardless of their class.

If you're healing, just heal anyone who needs it. I shield people who get aggro even before they take any damage (and even if they don't end up taking any because they feign death or whatever).

Most "squishy" classes are not quite as squishy as they first appear anyway. Anyone non-tank dies about as easily. Casters tend to have spells to increase their survivability (inner fire, demon armor, shadowform, moonkin form, ice block, bubble, etc) as well as CCs. This means a fury warrior with aggro has at least as much priority as a mage, despite initially being considered less squishy.

For a DPS...
    You are primarily only concerned if you yourself are under attack. You may also have concern for your healer as well, however the general responsibility of protecting the healer falls to the tank. The responsibility for protecting DPS falls to themselves mostly.

For a Healer...
    You are concerned with everyone. The general order of priorities though would be yourself, the tank, and last the DPS. You use your unit frames (raid frames, party frames, whatever) to determine which friendly targets require your healing attention. Frames which identify who is either the target of a hostile unit or currently holds threat on a hostile unit are helpful in predicting where damage will be taken before it is taken. The base UI unit frames as well as many custom unit frames will have this type of functionality in them.

For a Tank...
    You are concerned with the hostile units more than your allies. While you may be able to determine who is taking damage similarly to a healer, you can not prevent said damage with the same tools. In order to manage hostile unit threat correctly you need to use nameplates, ideally set to indicate whether you have threat or not (i.e. TidyPlates_ThreatPlates). You are not as concerned about who in your group has aggro from something so much as the simple fact that it isn't you. Rather than identifying who in your group has aggro, you need to identify which hostile units you do not have aggro on because ultimately those are the units which you have to reclaim aggro on. The only exception to this general rule is the Paladin's Righteous Defense ability (a taunt which resolves it's targets server side but can be used on a friendly target with threat).
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-18-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    For a DPS...
    You are primarily only concerned if you yourself are under attack. You may also have concern for your healer as well, however the general responsibility of protecting the healer falls to the tank. The responsibility for protecting DPS falls to themselves mostly.

For a Healer...
    You are concerned with everyone. The general order of priorities though would be yourself, the tank, and last the DPS. You use your unit frames (raid frames, party frames, whatever) to determine which friendly targets require your healing attention. Frames which identify who is either the target of a hostile unit or currently holds threat on a hostile unit are helpful in predicting where damage will be taken before it is taken. The base UI unit frames as well as many custom unit frames will have this type of functionality in them.

For a Tank...
    You are concerned with the hostile units more than your allies. While you may be able to determine who is taking damage similarly to a healer, you can not prevent said damage with the same tools. In order to manage hostile unit threat correctly you need to use nameplates, ideally set to indicate whether you have threat or not (i.e. TidyPlates_ThreatPlates). You are not as concerned about who in your group has aggro from something so much as the simple fact that it isn't you. Rather than identifying who in your group has aggro, you need to identify which hostile units you do not have aggro on because ultimately those are the units which you have to reclaim aggro on. The only exception to this general rule is the Paladin's Righteous Defense ability (a taunt which resolves it's targets server side but can be used on a friendly target with threat).

^this
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

+ Reply to Thread