+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not undergeared but.. "Understated"?

Not undergeared but.. "Understated"?

Hello, I just took my bear off of the shelf and I have already ran multiple ZA/ZG heroics and completely cleared them. My main concern is how will I do raiding?

I just ran a regular heroic with guildies, our healer was undergeared but it seemed like I was taking a LOT of damage.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monkeys/simple

I know I have a couple of crap pieces but I am sitting at current stats in bear form.

144k HP
    31.57% dodge
    43k armor
    3617 agi
    7363 stam

My only concern is I am actually undergeared for raiding and the only reason I was able to complete the ZA/ZG was because I know what to stay out of.

Any help will be appreciated.

Ilvl wise, your not undergeared for normal mode raiding. Wont be carrying healers either, but your fine (only actualy "bad" piece is the pvp wrist).
    Now i dont know enough about bear tanking to tell if itemization is optimal or not.

1. You need to work on reputations. You aren't even at friendly and able to buy the talbard for any Cataclysm faction. There are several gear upgrades you can get from factions and more important still are the enchants you will use throughout this expansion. Two of your seven unenchanted items are in these slots.

2. Herbalism with Jewelcrafting seems like an odd selection of professions to pair up. Jewelcrafting provides a static passive bonus while Herbalism provides a use effect which is actually better suited to non-tanks since it now includes Haste Rating buff. Additionally you are not capitalizing on your profession bonuses by actually using the more powerful gems.

3. You need to enchant your gear. Even when doing heroics you should have your gear adequately enchanted and gemmed.

If I was a raid leader of a raid you were applying to I would turn you down. Even though your item level is sufficient to start raiding, your investment in your character beyond that is lacking right now. Your reputations in particular really kill you because you have weeks of grinding likely to catch up to where you should have been by simply questing through the zones while leveling. Which in all cases you will need to go back and quest at least far enough to buy the talbard.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I'm pretty sure I would never turn someone down due to something silly like reputations, but the rest is pretty spot on.

Bottom line though, he has to go back and do solo work on his character. He can't even buy talbards yet, he has to quest to get to that point. Someone that hasn't completed the solo pre-reqs for end game content still has to do them at some point to be viable long term.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I'm still not sure how those reputations (Other than Therazane I guess and maybe his head enchant rep, but those are BoA so some other char could have them) are pre-requisites to end game content.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    I'm still not sure how those reputations (Other than Therazane I guess and maybe his head enchant rep, but those are BoA so some other char could have them) are pre-requisites to end game content.
    This. My main is fully exalted with every cata reputation. The reason I haven't been picking up any of the enchants or using the JC gems is because he was in blues and greens yesterday and I don't want to waste money on an enchant or a gem that I am replacing anyways.

I know that there would be no way I could get into a raiding guild with this toon as a main raider. I am already in a raiding with my main. I am using this toon as a backup in case they are in need of a tank or healer (once I get his healing set geared). My biggest concern was my stats. Also remember. This is really the first time I have considered seriously playing my druid. Before yesterday he was in blues/greens.

My biggest concern here was if my stats/ilvl were good enough to start raiding.

Add: I just looked it up. The only reputation that I am currently needing is Therazane. I wasn't aware that their enchants were BoP.
    Last edited by Veight; 05-17-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Add

Quote Originally Posted by Veight View Post
    My biggest concern here was if my stats/ilvl were good enough to start raiding.
    Many guilds not looking at server firsts/etc were killing raid bosses with 340-345 ilvl gear. You're over 350.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Many guilds not looking at server firsts/etc were killing raid bosses with 340-345 ilvl gear. You're over 350.
    I understand that. Just I am new to cata tanking and was wondering if I was too squishy and should gem/enchant/reforge differently than I already am. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Veight View Post
    I understand that. Just I am new to cata tanking and was wondering if I was too squishy and should gem/enchant/reforge differently than I already am. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Should you do it differently then you already are?

You have 7 unenchanted items, a missing belt buckle, and no Chimera's Eyes.
    Different compared to not doing? Yes you should gem and enchant gear. It's not that you're doing it wrong, it's that your not doing it.

Your gear is fine. You're investment in it is not.

Quin is right. You're asking if you're going to be squishy. The answer is you're going to be a good deal squisher than you should be because:

A) You don't have enchants. Anything 346 should be enchanted to the sub maelstorm level at least.
    B) You don't have the best gems possible, which I understand why, but if you're looking to prevent squishyness, a dozen small improvmeents makes a difference.
    C) This goes back to Quin's point on Rep - You don't have all the rep items, several are 346 -> 359 upgrades you could have.

In reality - once you have the gear, then the best thing you can do to prevent squishyness is research the enchants and reforging and gemming prioritiers and get them ready.

You have the gear. It's worth investing in the enchants and gems, and if you're running heriocs, the rep tabbards for better gear on the cheap. :-)
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

+ Reply to Thread