+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to PvE, need DK Spell Rotation and Talent Tree HELP.

New to PvE, need DK Spell Rotation and Talent Tree HELP.

Hello everyone.
    I was a PvP diehard and now i started doing PvE, i already got full zandalari gear + some other PvE stuff and i am actually more then ready doing 10/25 raids (already did some)

My DPS is average and with my gear i could score way higher then average, the only problem is that my spell rotation is crap and that probally my talent tree is not that perfect.
    I am a frost DK btw.

So my spell rotation is: Outbreak> Dead and Decay > Obliterate Spam > Frost strike 1-2x >Obliterate Spam> Festering Strike (to keep my diseases up) and then again obliterate spam then frost strike if i have enough power.

I know my rotation is crap so i need help with that.
    Also i don't think my talent tree is perfect so can some1 post me a Frost DK PvE talent tree?

Thank you.

As for rotation there really isn't one anymore It's mostly about hitting the Proc's.

I open with Outbreak or Icy Touch + Plague strike (if outbreak is down) then spread with pestilence, D&D. After that Howling Blast or WHATEVER OF THE 3 THAT HAVE PROC'ED! Then just keep diseases and D&D up and hit your proc's.
    If it's single target you skip the pestilence and maybe D&D (depending on fight), and alternate between frost strike and obliterate still hitting howling blast when it proc's.
    Last edited by Uranos7; 05-14-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    "It's always the Healer's fault; unless it's the Tanks fault, just ask the DPS'er in purples doing 5k!"

outbreak>OB>OB>FS>FS. From there watch for your procs using HB procs asap especially when you have a OB up since Ob can proc free HB. (quite possible to hit free Hb>Ob> free HB). After that prioritize OB over FS and use PS to refresh your blood plague (uses only 1 rune vs 2 with festering strike)

As for spec I use http://www.wowhead.com/talent#johZGc0rfuRzbuch for 2H which is hopefully obvious. With this spec I only have to refresh blodd plague once per outbreak cd.

There's no rotation. With Cataclysm DKs uses skills by prio. For frost DKs single target:

Diseases
    Obliterate
    if both Frost/Unholy pairs and/or both Death runes are up, or if Killing Machine is procced
    Frost Strike
    if RP capped
    Rime

Obliterate
    Frost Strike
    Horn of Winter

and for AoE:

Howling Blast if both Frost runes and/or both Death runes are up
    Death and Decay/Plague Strike if both Unholy Runes are up
    Frost Strike if RP capped
    Howling Blast
    Death and Decay/Plague Strike
    Frost Strike
    Horn of Winter

And do not use festering strike, instead glyph Howling blast so you can use the Rime procs to get the free HB to refesh frost fever. You still need to apply plague strike about 2x per minute, rest is covered by Outbreak.

Also like to add to Wiegraf that you want to check for Killing Machine procs (guaranteed crit of OB or FS) and use OB > FS for that.
    The full prio becomes

Diseases
    KM OB
    KM FS
    Rime
    OB
    FS
    Horn of Winter

Just for an example opener, with outbreak it becomes possible to use all runes for three OB in a row (which we want):

Outbreak, OB, OB, OB, FS (Rime proc) and there you have the start of a boss fight.

Here's DW talent tree - http://wowtal.com/#k=Ue_jCO4.aei.deathknight.-3BZg9
    DW is better in Unholy Presence
    Remember to use Pillar of Frost as it is only 60 sec cd
    Also Raise Dead - Ghoul scales with your attack power, haste, and hit based on the moment it was cast, and will retain those exact stats for its entire duration, so use it only after Pillar of Frost + some trinkets / BL
    Don't forget about stat priority: Strength > Hit to Cap > Expertise to Cap > Haste > Mastery > Crit
    If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average

Quote Originally Posted by Grindleguts View Post

Also like to add to Wiegraf that you want to check for Killing Machine procs (guaranteed crit of OB or FS) and use OB > FS for that.
    That's exactly what I posted. Sorry if it was a bit confusing. The first OB and FS is for the procc.

+ Reply to Thread