+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP New raid leader

HELP New raid leader

Hey guys,

I have been asked be my guild leader if I would take on the role of raid leader and I was hoping that the tankspot commuity could give me some advise as to what I need to be a good Raid leader. I'm watching videos and make note etc.

Thanks Ian

Hey Ian,
    What kind of guild are you in? It vastly impacts on the preparation of the raid.

Preparing ahead is key to success as a RL.
    One of the most important things is knowing EVERYTHING (not just names of abilites, what it does, how it effects the raid, how to counter it, layout of the place etc) about the bosses you'll encounter. Depending on what kind of guild you are in you should know all the classes as well.

Communication is very important as well - not just what you say, also how you say it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04 comes to mind as a bad example).

Patience is something that's required of a RL. Wipes will happen if it's a progress raid. If the RL loses it the raid is doomed.

Also not everyone is suited as a RL. I've seen far too many RLs that have tunnelvision.

If you want a good place to practice RLing I can recommend LK HC since it requires some coordination (fail will most likely result in a wipe).

Hey Wiegraf,

The guild im in is a muture social guild. We are just now looking in to Raiding (Yes I know come 4.2 we will be a tier behind but we really don't care). My idea was to try a Normal Icc first as a lot of the guys and girls in the guild have never raided before. I have a rough idea on must classes and specs but I openly admit I don't know the ins and outs of every class and spec.

Ian

Don't worry about being behind in tier as with 4.1 ZA/ZG was released to allow people to catch up to start doing tier 12 content, so if you guys enjoy raiding you'll be able to try that as well soon enough.

Since it's the first time for several it's a good idea to start easy. Set routines, players getting familiar with raiding and also a good time for you to practice RLing and knowing the players in action and the classes/specs.

I can recommend getting some sort of VC if you guys don't use one atm.

Good luck!

we currently use Vent as a VC but if there is some other VC we should be using then pls let me know. As for tier we are not really worried its all about getting raiding going and weather or not guild members enjoy it.

1) Raid pacing is vitally important. Keep people moving or they get bored and get up to get a glass of beer, and while they're gone someone else gets bored and grabs a glass of beer. Try to keep things moving and watch the amount of time between wipes and picking back up afterwards.

2) You don't have to do everything yourself. Assign someone else to take care of loot (ideally an officer) so that you can concentrate on what's coming next instead. Assign people to important functions within fights who are not you. That includes doing call outs.

3) Make sure you have the appropriate addons and know how to use them. That includes Grid or equivalent, Skada/Recount or equivalent, DBM or equivalent. Know how to read Skada/Recount between wipes so that you know what happened. Look at World of Logs or the equivalent after the raid. Tidy Plates/Threat Plates also helps more than you might think for knowing what's going on at any given time.

4) Know and explain the fights, but don't be afraid to take advice from others in the raid. Sometimes they've learned something on some forums somewhere you haven't, and it's good to let them have input into the strategy.

5) Don't let the other players walk over you. It's good to let them have input, but in the end it's your decision as raid leader. I've had a few occasions where I had some dissenters in my raid in terms of opinion, but I was pretty sure we were on the edge of success with the strategy we'd been using. I firmly stated that we were sticking with the strat, and we killed it the next attempt, after which I see in /raid, "THAT'S why Reev is the raid leader."

6) Know when to take a break or move on. If you're beating your head against a wall for 2 hours without visible progress, or worse, regression, stop and take a break. Make sure to tell your raiders to get up and move around a lot. When people don't move for a long period of time, their mental concentration starts to wane. Doing a few jumping jacks or situps or whatever can help this problem immensely. When you come back from the break if the problem is still happening, evaluate if it's an issue with execution, or if you need to fundamentally re-evaluate the strategy. If strategy re-evaluation is in order and you don't have any ideas right now, you can always move on to an easier boss to get the morale up and look at the strategy before the next raid. Which leads us to:

7) End on a positive note and give homework. Even if you've had a shitty night wiping, make sure that you frame it as a learning experience and give the raiders some homework on how to study up. Emphasize that they shouldn't just look at one video and stop there. Most of the best information is found in the posts surrounding the videos or on class-specific forums. Getting a diversity of ideas and discussing them on the guild forums before raid time is extremely useful.

8) Look for the strengths and weaknesses in your raiders. There are some raiders that I know are very situationally aware and know how to move/click things at the right times, but I wouldn't trust them to kite anything if the guild depended on it. Know the players' capabilities and you'll save yourself a lot of heartache. This includes how players take criticism. Some people respond really well to yelling and view quiet private talkings to as weak. Others see any critical comment at all as a personal attack, and the only way to keep them in your raid team is to criticize them only in private. These may all be valuable members of your raid team, and there is no good one-size-fits-all approach.

9) Praise your healers. They need it and deserve it. They are quite possibly the least visible factor of success, yet probably the most important. Make sure they know damn well you appreciate them.

10) Realize that success isn't instant. I had a few players the other day complain that we'd spent 2 nights wiping on Cho'gall and that we were totally failing as a guild. Bullshit. It takes time to learn the execution on complex fights. Don't let other people's unrealistic expectations throw you. Make sure they understand that it's normal to wipe and to learn over time.

11) Don't put up with Prima Donnas. Players who think they're better than the rest of the raid and state it publicly are a drag to raid morale. Make sure they know what they're doing, gently, and if they continue, kick them. If they want to act like that, they can do so in some other guild with their "leet skills." Never let another player hold your guild hostage. No one is irreplaceable. There are ALWAYS people looking for guilds, and if you have to, you can PuG the 1 slot while you find your next great player. It's not worth the drama to stroke a Prima Donna's ego.

Hmm, that's all I have for the moment. Good luck!
    Last edited by Reev; 05-09-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

One thing to mention that I've noticed a lot... healers working together whether it's assigned roles that you task them with or them figuring out what works best for them. The healers need to know what to heal, when, and how to work together as a group. If your healers are experienced or have been playing together for quite some time, generally they will mold into their spot easily without anyone telling them anything. If your healers are new players (or at least new to raiding as your post said your guild is) then they might need a little guidance.

Figure out what works best for them to get what you want. As Reev said, they are the silent, invisible part of the success. If they aren't working together, things will fall apart. They shouldn't be wasting their mana healing the same target while letting another go down. If they work together correctly, the mana spent healing will be put to use the best than if they are trying to snipe heals from each other. In they snipe, most of it will go to overhealing, healers run out of mana, and people die.

So, in short, figure out what your healers need.
    1) Do they need you to tell them their role (a.k.a. pally on tank, shaman on g1, priest on g2)?
    Or,
    2) Can they figure it out on their own?

Option 2 is much easier in my opinion because people generally stick with what they are comfortable with. If they are comfortable with it, most likely they are going to do better at it.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I have a Icc set up for friday this week.

All you will ever need to know about raid leading:

http://overkills.informe.com/forum/h...amas-dt38.html

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    All you will ever need to know about raid leading:

http://overkills.informe.com/forum/h...amas-dt38.html
    +1 internets
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

One thing you need to get good at is analysing why you wiped, and when your banging your raid against a brick wall. Knowing what went wrong is key to keeping pace, any team player should not mind wiping all night as long as every wipe is an improvement. Wiping all night becuase one player refuses to do the fight correctly (doesn't target swap, can't interrupt/dispel) or is D/Cing constantly is going to bomb your raid morale.

The most important thing I can contribute here is to think slow and react fast. Make sure you command vent while you are in raid. Talking and fun are great between pulls but everyone needs to know, including the GM, that when you speak in a raid everyone shuts up and listens.

Know your toon thru and thru. You must be able to set the example for your raiders. For example, you cannot expect your mage to iceblock out of something if you don't do the same. Teach them to play their whole toons and call them out when they don't.

Keep it moving. Don't let it stop. Tell them up front when the afk is and stick to it. If someone takes excessive afk during a raid then bench them and pull someone else from guild. If you really want to drive the point home that this is your raid and your rules then replace them with a pug.

Make fast but educated decisions. When everyone seems to be dying and you think you can still pull it off, call out in raid for them to stick in it. If you command your raid they will tighten up and get to work.

Good luck. Its a stressful job at times but the rewards are spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

I'm listening to the youtube link on repeat because it's absolutely hilarious to hear that degree of nerdrage. Avoid this kind of trash coming out of your mouth. Basically just stay cool, and know how to crunch the numbers. Watch some youtube vids, and know wtf you're dealing with. If you bug out, your raiders are gonna get pissy, lose respect for you, etc.

More comedy!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPt1bckqJmU&NR=1 (Same dude, different rage/raid. I love this little guy! lol)

+ Reply to Thread