+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary items?

Legendary items?

Ok, so I know there is an awesome new legendary staff coming in the 4.2 update. I am a mage, so it particularly interests me - not that I will be getting it right away, but it might be a long (perhaps very long) term goal that I would like to set.

I just started playing WoW since late Lich king right before Cataclysm came out, so I don't know about how the process of obtaining legendary items such as the staff work.

How exactly does this work? I know there is a complicated questline (which I've seen on forums like MMO Champion), but are these questlines hard because the drop rate on the gathering items are hard to get? I assume there will be a raiding requirement to get the staff, so is that where your guild comes in?

Particularly so, how long does it take to obtain legendary items and how exactly does it work - is it a group effort, or more of a PuG/random, etc.

Thanks for your time!

-Shikhir

You will have to do some quests but i doubt any of them will be to tough. You'll have to kill raid bosses to drop questitems for you (that's where pug/guild/raid comes into play) and this process of acquiring the drops will take quite some time. In Naxx & ICC it took us about 2-3 months of clearing the whole place for one legendary. So it's most likely again 95% group effort and 5% you spending some gold and air miles to get the rest done.

You'll need 25 "living ember" about the same as primordial saronite from wotlk. That will costs quite some money somewhere around 125k or so if they go for 5k each. Will probably be higher at the start of 4.2 and slowly drop in price. The rest is just quests and collecting shards in the raidinstance. Looking at the datamined info on mmo you need 25 seething cinders from the firelands raid.

It would be nice if they made getting a legendary, actually difficult. I mean, c'mon, it's a LEGENDARY. :P

I like the "collect 20 peices and rebuild it" type of system, though. But, I think it should take an effort on the part of the entire guild to finish it. Put a huge quest chain directly in a raid dungeon, or some sort of world even that requires a 10 or 25-man raid to complete. Sure it would be a pain in the ass to finish. But, after all, it is a LEGENDARY. :P

@Skwish, a legendary that ONLY ONE PERSON will have. That you need (really need, if its actual content) the effort of other X persons (depending if you raid with the same people or others) for doing so, make it a stupid system. I mean, okey, this is a social game and things must be done in group. But you cannot give the legendary for all the group, as it kinda lowers the value of the legendary. And no, making shareable rewars like the boes from Arthas box or the pet from this staff is not enough.

I agree with being real hard to make this items. But personally, I would like more "legendary-like" individual quests that mixes the epic feeling of doing something really important lorewise or/and in a personal sense in the context of your pj, but that can be achieved in with a little number of friends, but still being VERY difficult. If you still feel that like too much easy, you can reward people with a downgraded version of the weapon and requiring the player to do some special content to unlock the best parts of the item (like with Shadowmourne, just make the fight for the acid bloods an especial instanced event for one/three/five persons, and the process of harvesting souls previous to being able to use the epic version).

Anyway, I don't know. The best WoW quests are actually epic, but they lack the feel of you having a very important role in them; you are just a merc the real protagonists hire/get help from or a traveler that just happen to pass by. Still, it seems like this staff first half of quests are going on this direction, and this just make me hope it will be the same for more things in the future.

The shadowmourne quest did have some bits that were 'challenging' (killing each of the wing bosses in an achievement-style way that required the person to do something a bit special). I haven't seen anything equivalent in the Firelands quest chain. It looks like "get X crafter orbs" -> do some RP solo stuff -> "get Y random boss kill drops" -> rp -> "Kill Ragnaros" -> collect lewt (and RP). That's similar to the shadowmourne format, but without the "do boss X while standing in fire" phases. Until it goes live, we can only speculate.

So probably the first challenge, and one you can prep for, is to "get X crafter orbs"... If things remain true to form, you'll either be able to buy these orbs from other players with money or grind justice points with a fleet of alts - so preparing means "stockpile cash and be ready to camp the auction house" or "get some alts (and friends?) ready for heroic farming". It's quite likely that doing this will reward you with an epic staff (perhaps combined with a single boss drop) which then gets upgraded over the course of the quest chain. The constraining factor within a single guild tends to be "get Y random boss kill drops" - as the boss drops are normally given to 1 guy first, then another guy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazar View Post
    @Skwish, a legendary that ONLY ONE PERSON will have. That you need (really need, if its actual content) the effort of other X persons (depending if you raid with the same people or others) for doing so, make it a stupid system. I mean, okey, this is a social game and things must be done in group. But you cannot give the legendary for all the group, as it kinda lowers the value of the legendary. And no, making shareable rewars like the boes from Arthas box or the pet from this staff is not enough.

I agree with being real hard to make this items. But personally, I would like more "legendary-like" individual quests that mixes the epic feeling of doing something really important lorewise or/and in a personal sense in the context of your pj, but that can be achieved in with a little number of friends, but still being VERY difficult. If you still feel that like too much easy, you can reward people with a downgraded version of the weapon and requiring the player to do some special content to unlock the best parts of the item (like with Shadowmourne, just make the fight for the acid bloods an especial instanced event for one/three/five persons, and the process of harvesting souls previous to being able to use the epic version).

Anyway, I don't know. The best WoW quests are actually epic, but they lack the feel of you having a very important role in them; you are just a merc the real protagonists hire/get help from or a traveler that just happen to pass by. Still, it seems like this staff first half of quests are going on this direction, and this just make me hope it will be the same for more things in the future.
    I never said "a legendary that only one person can have." I just said, make it a massive effort to build, and put a more epic questline around it. Who's to say that you can't have 20 people in the same guild with the item, if the guild is willing to work to get it 20 times?

It's not very legendary when you just collect 20 drops (that aren't all that rare, tbh), and BAM "I gots an orange item zomg!"

I didn't mean't to contradict you, just drop my thoughts. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    The shadowmourne quest did have some bits that were 'challenging' (killing each of the wing bosses in an achievement-style way that required the person to do something a bit special). I haven't seen anything equivalent in the Firelands quest chain.
    Speaking from personal experience, I am VERY happy to see that change. It was unbelievably annoying to have progression stop in ICC because someone had to figure out how to finish a quest. Yes, it could be fine, or it could cause a wipe or 3. You end up with 24 people wanting to just kill the farm boss after 1 wipe and 1 person really upset if they can't get several pulls to learn it. (Oh, and I went through this with a DK who swapped to dual wield after doing the quests... but before he started collecting shards.)

I'm quite torn on that actually. I had a very similar dilema on a couple of occasions, where we'd perhaps want to be trying the hard mode but have someone else wanting to do a stage in the shadowmourne quest (and some of them, knowing they'd probably never finish the shard collection but just wanting to experience the quest). As such, a bit of a headache...

...but at the same time, driving variety in raid content is a good thing I think. As long as what they ask you to do isn't *that* much more challenging than doing the boss the normal way, I think something that spices up a regular boss clear is a plus. I'm glad to see the guild-wide reward, I think this is a fair reflection of the guild effort... I think it being a non-combat pet is a bit weak though.

Blue posts on the legendary creation over the past couple of days seem to indicate that there's more than just 'collect some orbs' and 'collect some shards'... "many new quests, legendary-specific raid boss fights, and a great personal challenge which evokes the spirit of those old classic World of Warcraft epic quests.". We'll have to wait and see...

+ Reply to Thread