+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dirty gold!

Dirty gold!

Was on my auctioneer the other night, pulling in a few thousand gold from the AH...
    and the thought occurred to me,
    How much of this gold is dirty?
    like how much has been bought by baddies from the nasty gold farmers?
    its probably one of those never answerable questions ay?

thoughts?
    DPS is the game, Healing is my Fame

Rankadin (Hpally)
    Skratchet (Kitty)

The auction house goblins have a crew of gnomes working long hours to scrub all the dirt from the gold.
    It's completely clean once you get it in your mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    The auction house goblins have a crew of gnomes working long hours to scrub all the dirt from the gold.
    It's completely clean once you get it in your mail.
    Blasphemy! A Gnome would never work for a Goblin! :P Plus Goblins are probably too cheap to pay.

This is an unanswerable question, like you said. It would be interesting to see the statistics though...I hope it's less than what it probably actually is. Mostly because gold is so easy to make, why would you buy it these days? Back at 60 when it was a big deal to have 200g, I could see the temptation. But now, you can make 1000's of gold in a few hours of playing. Why buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Skwish View Post
    But now, you can make 1000's of gold in a few hours of playing. Why buy?
    And how do you make that money? Not by grinding mobs for hours (remember scarlet farm session, solo bombing stratholme entrance or kite/abusing Dire Maul?) and selling those grey weapons for 1 gold each, you disenechant the green drops and sell one essence for 50 gold.. to other players because that's the price the auction house dictates. One daily only nets you 13 gold, but leveling from 80 to 85 alone nets you 2.000g and more.

All this leads to an enormous inflation, coupled with the insanly grown gold trading economy. You'll have to pay 13k for a bike and 35k for a drake just for the raw materials. Joe Average, family father of two, playing casually and logs into wow for 10 hours a week has never learned to play the auction house game. He can either farm for days/weeks or just pick his credit card and get what he wants in hours or less. 5 years ago you could sell an epic mount for one month worth of rent, nowadays you can buy 10k for the price of a happy meal.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    And how do you make that money? Not by grinding mobs for hours (remember scarlet farm session, solo bombing stratholme entrance or kite/abusing Dire Maul?) and selling those grey weapons for 1 gold each, you disenechant the green drops and sell one essence for 50 gold.. to other players because that's the price the auction house dictates. One daily only nets you 13 gold, but leveling from 80 to 85 alone nets you 2.000g and more.

All this leads to an enormous inflation, coupled with the insanly grown gold trading economy. You'll have to pay 13k for a bike and 35k for a drake just for the raw materials. Joe Average, family father of two, playing casually and logs into wow for 10 hours a week has never learned to play the auction house game. He can either farm for days/weeks or just pick his credit card and get what he wants in hours or less. 5 years ago you could sell an epic mount for one month worth of rent, nowadays you can buy 10k for the price of a happy meal.

Your "Joe Average" plays more than I do and I have no issues when it comes to gold. I play the game, maybe 6-8 hours per week and that's pushing it. I can easily make 1-2k gold just playing the AH in a few hours. Or, I can spend a couple hours flying around gathering metals that sell for a TON of gold on the AH. Making gold is insanely easy now.

Also, 1G vendor trash? I admit it has been awhile since I've paid attention to vendor trash prices. But, I distinctly remember vendoring quite a few items for well over 10g... :/

From the tone of your post, I'm guessing you buy gold and feel the need to defend breaking the rules of the game.

I can easily make 1-2k gold just playing the AH in a few hours. Or, I can spend a couple hours flying around gathering metals that sell for a TON of gold on the AH. Making gold is insanely easy now.
    If everyone did play the AH you couldn't make any money from it that's how it works. You need customers willing to pay

And if you spend "a couple of hours" from your 6-8 hours of playtime a week playing the AH or flying around and grinding/gathering there's not much else left to do, isn't it? Making "a ton of gold" on the AH with gathering materials alone several months into the expansion with dozens and dozens of bots running isn't that appealing as well. 50g a stack of Elementium Ore and 100g for a stack of Twilight Jasmin might be all you can get nowadays on a mid to high pop server.

From the tone of your post, I'm guessing you buy gold and feel the need to defend breaking the rules of the game.
    Actually i play so much ( (or just to much? ) i feel like Uncle Scrooge but i've a lot of friends with way less play time and i can see and understand their problems. They don't want to farm, learn to play the AH .. they actually just want to play that game and have some fun. Log in, queue for a dungeon/bg and push their Tol Barad/Therazane reputation via a daily or two.. increase their fishing skill while waiting.. you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    If everyone did play the AH you couldn't make any money from it that's how it works. You need customers willing to pay

And if you spend "a couple of hours" from your 6-8 hours of playtime a week playing the AH or flying around and grinding/gathering there's not much else left to do, isn't it? Making "a ton of gold" on the AH with gathering materials alone several months into the expansion with dozens and dozens of bots running isn't that appealing as well. 50g a stack of Elementium Ore and 100g for a stack of Twilight Jasmin might be all you can get nowadays on a mid to high pop server.

Actually i play so much ( (or just to much? ) i feel like Uncle Scrooge but i've a lot of friends with way less play time and i can see and understand their problems. They don't want to farm, learn to play the AH .. they actually just want to play that game and have some fun. Log in, queue for a dungeon/bg and push their Tol Barad/Therazane reputation via a daily or two.. increase their fishing skill while waiting.. you name it.
    Your friends in that situation can easily just play the game. If all they want to do is dungeons, bg's, increase fishing (or any profession) skill and rep grind then you need very minimal gold. In fact, I'd wager a guess that you could easily afford doing that stuff and still make a profit from simply doing a few random dungeons here and there. Your gold numbers aren't going to be high, but you certainly won't have to go out of your way to grind gold....ever.

Go to Twilight Highlands and watch the bots take all of the mining nodes and hog the herbalism mats. An ex-guildie(banned for botting) was making around 20k a week if he wasn't trying. All he did was raid, then bot. There has to be quite a bit of dirty gold in there. At least on my server.
    Jesus loves you seriously big time. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across the oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email

+ Reply to Thread