+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post patch threat issues

Post patch threat issues

Throughout Cata so far I've spent a lot of time tanking on my DK and Paladin. I've never experienced any threat issues to speak of until 4.1 dropped. In larger trash pulls (eg. 3 or more mobs) I've found it harder to hold the attention of the pack. Frost DKs and Feral Druids have been the main offenders. It seems like a few classes have received AOE damage buffs while I haven't seen a similar increase in AOE threat production. Has anyone else noticed this or am I just off the mark/in need of reforging?

I can't answer for a Pally, but on the DK they took away the threat from the healing aspect of our Blood Shield. This would indeed affect you some on AOE pulls and you will need to tab or swap target somehow to build threat on all targets. Make sure you're using Skull and X at least and make sure DPS is targeting those targets.

This had to be done, our threat was insanely OP and I had to be very careful not to pull threat on a multi tank fight. It's a little more work now but it should be no problem if you swap targets and use your rotation wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

How much does a Death Strike heal for? Healing threat is the healing value divided by 2 and spread across all the enemy targets in the area, but would be affected by the Blood Presence modifier, evening it out so that the threat should be roughly equal to the healing divided by the number of targets. If DS healed for 40k and there were 5 mobs around, it would do about 8k threat per mob. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong here? That's still quite a lot less than pretty much any other threat move out there, but I guess it was on top of the other threat abilities you were already using.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

I don't have issues on my DK, it's on my Pally with AoE pulls that I can lose a mob or two if the dps don't give me at least a GCD to get an HoR off; I mean God forbid they let me get off an HoR and a Crusader Strike. I also find I need to keep my expertise at above 20.

Well that's not a threat issue, it's a dumbass issue.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

I find it tends to resolve itself after a few GCDs. For some reason after taking a few hits the overaggroing DPSer's completely disappear from the aggro table. I don't even have to taunt.

Edit in all seriousness however, i think some classes got a wee bit buffed and some players haven't quite adjusted to their new TPS. i have an arcane mage whose damage spikes very high sometimes, coupled with arcane's 4.1 buff he was totally unprepared for the TPS he was pulling on his first burn phase of patch night.

Quote Originally Posted by swollenpickles View Post
    Frost DKs and Feral Druids have been the main offenders.
    I think you are probably right, that the AOE damage output on certain classes is the change here. Frost DKs use howling blast - which actually had it's AOE damage reduced slightly in the patch, but at the same time the change in rune mechanics means that they can cast 4 in a row (and if they are in unholy presence, that's in 4 seconds) right off the pull, as well as chucking down death and decay. That's a lot of damage very early, while you are still ramping up. Of course, the answer would be for them to be just a little bit careful with that opening salvo, but I guess we are talking about pugs here... I had a similar issue with a feral druid in a pug, I don't know much about feral dps, but "Swipe (Cat) damage has been doubled" was in the patch notes...

I seem to have some minor issues at the start of boss fights in the new dungeons and the most common offender seems to be a warrior dps more or less pulling the bosses as soon as I move towards them. AoE threat doesnt seem to be affected very much by the DS threat nerf but it was so good before that a lot more has to change for it to become an issue.

I've pugged the new dungeon a few times and man do some pugger not know to start out easy and man are some pug tanks bad at threat generation. Think I've been spoiled by mostly running with guild before. But thats a whole other issue :-)

The problems I've had have been with PuG groups, and generally come about when the DPS start attacking at the same time I do, not giving me any time to get a head start threat wise. There's also the old standard of marking targets and DPS deciding that the one with the skull needs to die last. I guess both those issues are more a 'dumbass' issue, but previously it seemed a little easier to bring things under control a bit more.

Re: Post patch threat issues

Oh how I wish to see in the patch notes "DPS awareness requirements have been significantly reduced".

Until then, keep marking, telling restless DPS that if they think a requeue would go faster then piss off, and chastising people for not having or watching Omen. Healers who bitch out DPS for being idiots help a lot too. Not much else we can do...

Many AOE abilities have been buffed across a range of classes... in some cases this could be pushing geared players slightly over your typical threat threshold.

Post patch threat issues

As a frosty... Using HB four times is pretty dumb.
    I usually check for marked targets and stick to the tanks priority.
    So if he marked skull, skull it is...
    With the recent OBlit buff due to more runes anything else is suicide or at least stress for the tank.
    Stressed out tank tend to make mistakes, so do not stress your tanks

I am finding that I need inquisition for +3 mob pulls now that so many AoE spells have been buffed (seriously, I thought we weren't supposed to be seeing mind sear, blizzard, hellfire at the top of the enemy-damage-taken-by-spell list), maybe I'm just slacking idk, but it has become harder to keep the threat lead I had before the patch, especially in 5mans where my vengeance is much lower now that I am full epic (this is something many people including myself highlighted to blizzard during beta but it fell on deaf ears).

There are a few pulls right before and after the bear boss in ZA where I'm forced to spam both of my taunts even with a good start to the pull. It literally feels like I'm playing without RF on. I've removed it and re-applied it, but it's still an issue. I've checked all the usual suspects: Seal of Truth up, RF up, threat food buff up. I've tried to put a few extra pieces of threat gear on other than the sword in my armory, and that helps, but I don't like trading off survivability in there just yet. I know there's a few pulls where certain mobs are scripted to run to a certain spot before you can get aggro, but it still happens even with waiting for them to be set.

This wouldn't bug me so much if I wasn't concerned about getting the timed bear run, but it's still worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefius View Post
    Many AOE abilities have been buffed across a range of classes... in some cases this could be pushing geared players slightly over your typical threat threshold.
    Feral 'swipe' seems to have received a massive boost.

Swipe nearby enemies, inflicting 670% weapon damage.
    Not sure what it was before the patch but guessing it wasn't 670%? If there are 3 or more adds attacking a feral spamming swipe at the moment can be a tanking nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread