+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What tank should i roll

What tank should i roll

My guild recently asked me to tank and as of right now i have a 85 druid, pally, and dk and i also have a 80 warrior. I was woundering if anyone could point me into the right direct on what tank will be the best or good for raid bosses. I will be the main tank so if anyone can shed some light onto this subject thanks in advanced =D

cgrichyrich

All the tanks are good. Choose the one that most fits the way you like to play.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Well, it's never easy learning to tank at a high level. I would go with the pally if i were you. Try to snag a few tank peices and then try tanking some reg 5-mans and see how you like it.

Or go with your warrior that is still being LvLed. This is actally a pretty good idea.
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 05-02-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: lvling war slipped my mind, props Reev.

If you really want my opinion. I enjoy my warrior. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it would be easier to learn to tank on a toon you are still leveling up on than it will be on a level 85 toon, and warriors are fun and pretty consistent over the years in terms of never being too broken.

Well I have to say I enjoy my pally and my dk. Maybe my Dk a little more but I am worried that they take much more damage than my pally

If you enjoy your DK more, use your DK. They don't take "much more damage" than the pally.

Do you know if they will be good for end game tanking?

They are quite good for endgame tanking. I'm a warrior tank, but I tank alongside a DK who is as solid or more solid than I am.

This are tanks stats for 25 man heroic content:

Druid Feral Bear 4,426 15.35%
    Warrior Protection 10,321 35.80%
    Paladin Protection 9,673 33.55%
    Death Knight Blood 4,412 15.30%

These are tank stats for top 100 parses in 25 man heroic content:

Warrior Protection 1,200 26.30%
    Druid Feral Bear 1,069 23.43%
    Paladin Protection 1,185 25.98%
    Death Knight 1,108 24.29%

These are distributions for each class in the tanking role.

Take what you want from this

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Scor...14/60/default/
    Last edited by kopcap; 05-03-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Then why do people always give them such bad rep? Is it just because the majority of 12 year olds play them lol?

And are those stats for damage taken?

Quote Originally Posted by kopcap View Post
    This are tanks stats for 25 man heroic content:

Druid Feral Bear 4,426 15.35%
    Warrior Protection 10,321 35.80%
    Paladin Protection 9,673 33.55%
    Death Knight Blood 4,412 15.30%

These are tank stats for top 100 parses in 25 man heroic content:

Warrior Protection 1,200 26.30%
    Druid Feral Bear 1,069 23.43%
    Paladin Protection 1,185 25.98%
    Death Knight 1,108 24.29%

These are distributions for each class in the tanking role.

Take what you want from this

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Scor...14/60/default/
    I still don't understand what these numbers are I went to the website and I'm just confused now lol

Any of the tank classes are good for endgame tanking, peroid. What a certain person does with a certain class can differ from person to person. It has to be understood that a person that plays a warrior better than say he's play a DK doesn't mean a DK is a poor class, it just means the person is better at the warrior and maybe likes a certain thing that warrior does better than any other class.

It all depends on how much time someone decides to invest in a certain class, not everyone is going to put 100% into every tanking class they play. They may like a certain class a little more, min max it better, study fights more and understand the class mechanics better. This is all part of the human effect of WoW, and can't be resolved by saying a certain class is better than the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Well my problem is I like every tanking class in a way so now I'm just trying to narrow it down by there survivability

Quote Originally Posted by Cgrichyrich View Post
    Well my problem is I like every tanking class in a way so now I'm just trying to narrow it down by there survivability
    Don't do that. They're all capable and strong tanks. You can't just say X tank is more survivable than Y tank. Even if you could, it would just change the next patch.

Well why do people say that a DK takes much more damage than a pally if they are all good then why is this the general thing I hear

Because people have no idea what they're talking about.

The real answer (which I suspect you are not getting, despite everyone here telling you)
    It doesn't matter what tank you take. What matters is how you gear it and more importantly, how you play it. If you like what you play, you will naturally get better at it quickly. If you hate it, you will struggle with it. So try all and see what works.

The easy answer (because I feel you didn't read all the tanking guides here)
    Go with a shield tank. Either warrior or paladin. Shield tanks are more forgiving, provided you learn to not expose your ass cheeks to the mobs. Between warrior and tank, warriors are more versatile but more abilities to cope with, whereas paladins, despite getting less automated, are still predominately passive. Continue running as a DPS or healer (whichever is the case) in both toons, until you have enough tank gear between drops and craftables, and try whichever gets there first. If you don't like it, switch over to the other. Get used to tanking regulars (even if you are doing ZA/ZG runs now as DPS), then heroics, and then decide if you want to take it to raid-worthiness.

As for DKs and Bears taking more damage, the answer is yes and no, but the end result is no different than a shield tank, all tanks get the job done just fine. You haven't read enough of this this site to understand why people say that and why it is false, or at least take it on word in this thread alone that it's not true.

Okay thanks for the help and info and sorry for being difficult just a hard decision for me

We're glad to help, but we do ask that you read a bit. You are getting some of it and investigating, which is good.

+ Reply to Thread