+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tank gear advice

Warrior Tank gear advice

I know my gear isn't the best, a couple slots (belt/gloves) that need replaced, but was wondering what you thought about things otherwise. I feel like I should be fine and don't really have any aggro control issues or rotation issues. Just curious if there are other areas I should focus on quickly. Money is usually an issue on my end as i don't farm a lot unless its farming dungeons for drops or vp/jp.

Some dungeons, mainly the 2 new ones, occassionally make me feel I am missing something though. Even today a healer basically humilated me in /party so i just humbly left as I don't see a point in arguing with people in a game. That was on the Akil'Zon fight. I know the concepts of the fight and the healer was dispelling static discharge. Only 30% of the damage I was taking was from Chain Lightning and the rest was from melee. Healer was also putting out 14k hps (paly). Being at least 2 of the dps were constantly dying in the discharge phases I didn't see it as me being the prime problem. We consistantly got the boss down to < 30% health and I have cleared the zone before without too much an issue (that fight was rough then).

Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aegloth/simple

For those without access

Base

Strength 3136
    Stamina 6766
    Mastery 21.78

Defense:
    Armor 35506
    Dodge 10.30%
    Parry 13.64%
    Block 52.66%
    Resilience 0

You skipped Field Dressing. That is a nigh mandatory tanking talent. Blitz on the otherhand is nigh worthless.

I can change that back later tonight when I am on. I used to have field dressing, but changed it based on some comments I had seen here in the past indicating that if your tanking you should be getting the majority of the heals anyways and that an extra 3%/6% heal boost just wasn't going to make or break things.

Need a new chest along with that belt and gloves.
    I would strongly reccomend a stam trinket instead of throngus's, especially if you are tanking ZA/ZG. With party buffs I am sitting just under 200k hp, even still when the last boss went lynx he targeted my healer when he was low HP so I had to taunt early and he tore me down. With your hp I would imagine even a perfectly timed taunt would get you ripped in half if the healer isn't really on his toes.

Field Dressing is pretty significant... not about who is being healed the most, it's about how fast you can get healed up when you start getting beat in the face. It is the difference between 10k hps and 10.6k hps, which over the course of a 5 minute fight has healed you an average of 180k more than you would not normally get. Helps your healers with mana since they need less spells to do the same healing, and helps you not die, always a plus.

Everything else looks pretty good, though I generally advocate getting socket bonuses.

The gloves were my next slotted upgrade for VP. If I can hold off for that it would work a bit better.

As for the chest, I think I will farm the mats for the BS chest for the time being. I have access to a 525 BS to perform the combine and a alchemist for the true gold so that shouldn't be too bad. The shield upgrade from wouldn't be a bad spend either.

As for the last boss in ZA, perhaps I had a on the ball healer in the past. I don't recall a problem with the cat form and his pounce/dot he does. I would taunt him immediately and just pop shield wall and don't recall it being overly difficult during that time.

I will definately drop Blitz and take Field Dressing tonight though. As for stam trinket, do you have any suggestions? I will check later (blocked from work) but I thought most of the stam trinkets were raid drops (at least the better ones). Don't recall seeing any drops of these from 5-mans or I would have picked them up (could just be unlucky on the drops though).

Warrior Tank gear advice

There is a stam trinket in stonecore if you are interested. I recommend having it in case you need it at some point for a particular fight. Having said that, Throngus's finger is not a bad trinket especially for a warrior (look at your talent Hold the Line). I would reforge it for mastery and use that over the stonecore trinket honestly. You should not need more than 140k or so stam unbuffed for ZA/ZG or to get a good start on raids. Work to maximize the mastery and avoidance you can get and stam will be fine. Every gem should have mastery in it, even blue sockets. From there, it's up to you if you want the bonus but it seems most do as do I. In that case:
    Red=mastery + parry
    Yellow and prismatic=mastery
    Blue=mastery + stam

Look for gear with mastery + avoidance (dodge/parry) reforge for mastery if it's not on the gear. Doing that, once your item level is appropriate, your stam is fine whatever the number it is.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Currently my Throngus's Finger is reforged for mastery so I have that covered already. I have had a lot of people slam me for going the mastery route (vs stam), but overall I have been able to successfully tank everything in front of me (successfully dont both ZA and ZG already). I considered myself raid ready even. Not quite at 140k stam, but am at 139k if I recall correctly (139,913 according to droid armory).

Perhaps it was just the healer that was frustrated that day. Quite a bit of the team was not handling the fight correctly, but didnt think it was all on me. To me his hps didn't mean a hole lot as he was healing everyone massively from the birds and getting picked up. There is, and always will be, room for me to improve though. I'll use this weekend on improving myself and seeing how things work after that. Might still squeek in a few ZA/ZG runs as there are drops that will improve my flawed areas there as well.

Currently, for sub-hard mode tanking Mastery > Stam. The reason being you have the smoothing incoming damage making you the easiest to heal, and the incoming hits aren't so large you need a huge EHP pool.

Hard mode tanks do need more HP because the raw size of the hits is that much greater.

One thing I see that should be fixed the next time you log in is you have 2 points in Blitz instead of Field Dressing. This is bad. It means the heals thrown at you are smaller than they could be.

Basically anyone that argues you should go for Stam is either:
    A) Thinking hard modes too soon; or
    B) Behind the times, living in a frozen world.

140k unbuffed is fine for normal mode raiding and more than enough for heroics. There might be a few fights where more HP would be nice (tanking Ignacious is one that rings a bell with the flame torrents) but not that many.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Draegloth View Post
    I can change that back later tonight when I am on. I used to have field dressing, but changed it based on some comments I had seen here in the past indicating that if your tanking you should be getting the majority of the heals anyways and that an extra 3%/6% heal boost just wasn't going to make or break things.

Indeed that was true at 80. At 85 that's no longer the case. anyone who slams you for going mastery over stam in anything but an HC raid doesn't have a good grasp of current game mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Indeed that was true at 80. At 85 that's no longer the case.
    ^ Yep.

In Wrath, Healers were pounding you with huge heals they could spam. Healers can't do that now. So Whereas in Wrath, overhealing was the norm, healers try to keep overhealing down in Cata. When everyone is good and doesn't stand in fire, it's not as big of an issue, but if you have raiders that don't move, your healers will notice it.

And in some fights, like Chimerion, healers are doing a lot, so little things to make keeping the tank up easier are good.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Indeed that was true at 80. At 85 that's no longer the case. anyone who slams you for going mastery over stam in anything but an HC raid doesn't have a good grasp of current game mechanics
    Agreed as well. This is actually the first time I have had a healer gripe about it. It was obviously a raid level Paly healer too based on his gear which really through me for a loop (granted having raid gear doesn't mean your right or know what you are doing). Basically I was being told my gear wasn't good enough for the zone. I knew my gear wasn't perfect, but was looking to replace them with VP level gear as there really wasnt a whole lot of JP gear, if any, that would be considered an upgrade.

+ Reply to Thread