Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Recycled Content

Recycled Content

Is it just me or is Blizz becoming the kings of recycled content. I tried the new 5 mans last night and while it was fun, I could shake that deja vu feeling that I'd tread that particular path before.

BC had 16 5-mans (15 available at launch IIRC, but I could be wrong, its been a long time), none recycled content.

Meanwhile, Wrath had 12 new 5-mans at launch Azjol-Nerub, The Old Kingdom, Trial of the Champion, Drak'Tharon Keep, Gundrak, The Nexus, Oculus, Halls of Stone, Halls of Lightning, Utgarde Keep, Utgarde Pinnacle and Violet Hold. Blizz then added The Forge of Souls, Pit of Saron, Halls of Reflection & Trial of the Champion. None recycled content.

Then, with the release of Cata, we get 9 5-mans to start, only 7 of which are new along with two recycled instances. Then, we get 4.1 which comes with two more recycled instances.

Not to mention the rehashed wrath raids of Onyxia and Naxxramas.

I appreciate that it takes some work to redesign old content, particular old ten mans to suit lvl 85 5-man mechanics but I can't help but wonder if it would have required the same level of effort to just create new content.
    Last edited by Griff; 05-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.

well the theme of cataclysm, is witnessing the world being changed before us, so we can see stuff again. I will admit that the literal non-changes to ZA makes it less exciting as someone who farmed bear mounts forever...

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I like the reworking of the older content, I think they do a good job with it and would rather have it brought up to date then left unused. They seem to invest a lot of time and effort in doing these projects and, IMHO, are a far better product then Trial of Champion or Trial of Crusader.

We'll get new dungeons and raids in time.

I am a new comer so it is all new to me and as a new comer I am in awe.. Terrific to have such a nice large and challenging place to take 5 guys.. Seems very fun and exciting even though honestly we got our butts handed to us as none of us had addons yet.. Today should be better lolz (Actually I don't use many addons but my guys were turning 8K'ish so that is why)

P.S. We got a couple bosses to 25% and 50% respectively but we really just wanted to move on and look around

I'm loving it. Reduces the development time so that they can afford to come out with new 5 mans more often and keep them from being stale. It gets us using old raids that no one touches any more, keeping them relevant. We get nice big well made zones for the 5 mans instead of these relatively linear things we've been doing for so long. Makes it feel more like BRD or UBRS back in the day. I get a nice sense of nostalgia coming back in and seeing Jin'do the Hexxer and High Priest Thekal again.

I'm holding out hope for a Karazhan redux at some point. Maybe break it into Upper Kara and Lower Kara, and add a boss in the library area after Curator but before Illhoof.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

As long as the Chess event becomes optional... Gimmick fights like that should never be gatekeepers. But they make great optional fights.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    As long as the Chess event becomes optional... Gimmick fights like that should never be gatekeepers. But they make great optional fights.
    Fair enough. Chess was only fun once. Mostly cool just for the fact that it existed at all.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Old content is old, recycling is good for the real world but not so great for WOW in my opinion. I am glad and all that they added more 5 man contents and more ways to gear up pre-raids. But I am not glad to see ZA and ZG again since I spent months and months in those zones already. I do get that it may take less time to recycle a zone then make a new one but to me it's not any fun to do ZA or ZG.

They need to rerelease kara as a ten man. They don't need to simplify it into an easier five man like they did za. Let people meet the bc intro raid and show show them new skills to learn so they can become better at wow. Many of those fights built strong fundamentals of the wow raiding experience. Bringing it back as a five man would just ruin it if you ask me.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Really doesn't matter what Blizzard does now, they're not going to be able to please everyone who plays. I enjoyed seeing those old zones again in a 5-man. If you don't, fine. Don't run them, and get over it.

The game is not going to cater to your every whim. It doesn't cater to all of mine, either. There's millions of people to satisfy, and the odds that you're the special snowflake that Blizzard will do everything right for are pretty much zero.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    the odds that you're the special snowflake
    I meet lots of special snowflakes in PuGs.

The game is not going to cater to your every whim.
    I'm not really asking for them to 'cater to my every whim' but I'm paying retail prices for used goods. If Blizzard had provided a similar amount of original content as they have in previous expansions, I wouldn't feel crabby about it but they didn't.

That being said, I (hypocritically) wouldn't mind seeing Karazhan reworked..best raid ever imho.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing SSC/TK as 10 mans, just because barely anyone ever did them! I think more people have Illidan kills than have Vashj kills.

and while it was fun
    so clearing 1 boss and then wiping the rest of the time is fun? because,maybe you dont pug them.but thats all ive heard pugs can do so far in them.i know when i did ZA once because some guildies wanted to run it we wiped the whole time on that bird boss or whatever(he does the lightning thing,cant think of his name).i seriously doubt a random lfg pug group could down that

especially if they get a heavy melee group.but thats kinda a trend you see with cata now,screwing melee over when it comes to mechanics.eather way though,i might do them when im extremely bored or want to feel better about myself and laugh at retard pugs,or when they get nerfed which probably will be very soon(or at least ZA,i cant talk about ZG since i haven ran it yet)

Quote Originally Posted by PimpJuice4 View Post
    so clearing 1 boss and then wiping the rest of the time is fun? because,maybe you dont pug them.but thats all ive heard pugs can do so far in them.i know when i did ZA once because some guildies wanted to run it we wiped the whole time on that bird boss or whatever(he does the lightning thing,cant think of his name).i seriously doubt a random lfg pug group could down that
    Poor you! People can't down a boss without proper coordination and teamwork? This is madness! I want the entire instance cleared on the first day It comes out so I can have more purples!
    EU | Genjuros | Buffalowings
    -| Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. |-

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I meet lots of special snowflakes in PuGs.
    Every snowflake falls where it is meant to be - Zen proverb
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I only cleared ZA once because my guild was not interested in "small stuff" :/
    Never got that lovely caster hammer

Honestly, I think ZG and ZA deserved the revamp. I have 2 chars exalted with Zandalar. Well, not so exalted anymore, I guess. ZG was epic in its time. The first truly accessible raid. People pugged it and killing Jin'do required BWL gear or you would not be able to beat the DPS requirements even tho the rest of the instance was not that tough. Also I remember the Great Ironforge Plague when some guy summoned his infected pet smack in the middle of the IF auction house. That was the greatest MMO event WoW ever had.

Also, there is no reason to diss the rehashes. WoW is quite, quite old by now and sometimes you have to celebrate the past glories. I loved what they did for Onyxia. Also how many new boss mechanics are out there? By now anybody who comes up with something that is truly new, not overly complex and not too fragile when it comes to class combinations either
    a) deserves a lovely Nobel prize
    b) will find that it had been done before

Also, I like the idea of 5 man progression. It worked in WotLK. It shall work in Cata. People will learn. People even managed to beat HoR when it was said that it couldn't be done in a pug. Give it time.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Also, I like the idea of 5 man progression. It worked in WotLK. It shall work in Cata. People will learn. People even managed to beat HoR when it was said that it couldn't be done in a pug. Give it time.
    Raiding has gone from 40 to 25 to 10. Maybe the next step is cutting edge competitive 5 man instances? One can always hope

After clearing ZA and ZG, I would say that the difficulty is fine. ZG is, other than the environment art (even that has changed to a certain degree, completely new. Yes, it is still recognisably Zul'Gurub, but as an instance it is completely new. They have done a magnificent job there.

Zul'Aman is basically the same as it was back at level 70. The time run is doable with a competent epic geared group. The biggest differences to tbc ZA are malacrass (only two adds) and the end boss (only uses two aspects). Malacrass' shadow volley could do with a buff, it hardly tickles, doing perhaps 10% of your HP isntead of over 50%.

I keep getting ZG as a random and it's getting more and more doable as the mechanics become more common. Have not gotten a full clear yet seems I keep running into time for work or server restarts. I still die a lot while healing (note to self, stop casting, save self let dps standing in stuff die) and the pugs I've been in still wipe a fair amount, but there is a level of patience for now.

This morning after 4 wipes on first boss in ZG, we all coordinated and downed him with no deaths and everyone's health topped off. The archeology bosses seem to be loot pinyatas.

So far I like ZG it really is aesthetically pleasing.

Closed Thread