+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how much benifit would i gain from buying another internal HDD?

how much benifit would i gain from buying another internal HDD?

Hey, so I record 1290 X 1200 @ 30 fps and have around 25-35 fps while actually playing

my system atm is

E8500 @ 3.2
    4gb 1333
    gtx 280
    samsung spinpoint something that runs wow/fraps ect
    seagate USB external HDD

now i'm wondering if the hdd is holding me back at all? or if my system will just cap out at 30 fps anyway

cheers

there is a setting in fraps that will limit your fps while recording which is set to 30 fps by default iirc. you really don't have to record any higher than that since most all tv shows and movies are recorded at 29 or 30 fps as well. you will be able to play and record a little smoother by going from a usb to internal hdd but the difference will be minimal to tell if you are already getting 30 fps while recording and there are no lag spots...
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

I record at 30 fps, but my in game fps drops from 60 to 25-35 and feels really sluggish.

and certain places, like magmatron's fire aoe will drop me to 15 fps and stay like that for the rest of the fight

FRAPS actually restricts frame rate to the recording speed. If you are running at 400 FPS and have FRAPS set to record at 30, as soon as you flip that switch then the MAXIMUM FPS is 30. The fact that you aren't getting 60 is expected.

Now if you weren't running FRAPS you may find yourself having a significant performance decrease during Magmatron's AoE as well. The performance decrease there may not actually be tied to FRAPS but how well your system performs under those conditions in the first place. If you cut your performance in half from say 60 to 30 during that AoE phase on normal, it wouldn't be unexpected to have a similar performance drop from 30 (the cap) to 15 while FRAPS is running.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I tried setting it to record at 60 fps and it still hovers between 25-35 in game

Recording to an interal HDD very well may help out considerably, USB can be resource heavy and potentially could be causing the issues. The system you have shouldn't have any issues. The biggest shortfall I see is your processor but even then it isn't bad either.

+ Reply to Thread