+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reforging / Stat Dilemma

Reforging / Stat Dilemma

Hello Tankspot Community:

My WoW Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rthos/advanced
    First of all I'd like to say that while I haven't been a forum member of T.Spot, I've followed and read the posts for the past two years. Tankspot has helped me through a lot of tough decisions and improved my game play greatly over the past few years.

Let me get down to business: I've been looking through the armory profiles of a lot of top end prot paladins and have been having a hard time figuring out what to do with my gems/reforging. I've read a lot of different posts that said a lot of different things and now find myself entirely confused.

What I have been doing: I've been reforging off Dodge/Parry/Hit/Expertise in favor of mastery and gemming Fractured Amberjewel straight out unless the socket bonus seemed worth it. I find my threat generation has suffered pretty greatly from this move. I "was" hit and expertise capped, now I don't really have any hit or expertise.

I essentially had two questions: 1. "Am I Doing It Right?" and 2. What is the logic behind gemming/reforging, I can't seem to get a grasp or understand "why" I'd want to gem one piece one way and another another way.

I know it's selfish to ask for help but I've been really frustrated by gemming/reforging and find I'm doubting myself no matter which way I cut it.

Ok, to start out, it isn't selfish to ask for help. I go all over the help forum here and i can honestly say i may have posted as many questions as i've tried to point people in the right direction.

Now to buisness: I actually think your gems/reforges look pretty good. (Granted I am a prot War, so our mechanics are a little different in some area's) but to my knowledge of how stats should balance out you look ok.

Basically you gem for a socket bonus if:
    1) It alows for straight mastery (yellow socket), no brainer.
    2) It gives a beneficial slot bonus (mastery, maybe stam/parry/dodge, but only if it's a sizeable bonus, 20 or less isn't really worth it in my opinion)
    3) you have a VERY solid amount of mastery already, go ahead and throw in a 50/50 gem. I don't know how much that is for pally's though, i would assume it's more than 50% block.

Reforging (note: I don't know if pallys are supposed to have parry/dodge even or not, so i'll just assume you want them about even) your priorities are as follows: mastery>parry/dodge>other stats
    1) If it doesn have mastery make it have mastery.
    2) If it's a "converted dps piece" ** take the non-mastery stat and use it to balance out your parry/dodge a little
    3) If it's Mastery, Parry/Dodge, you can leave it alone or adjust your parr/dodge closer to a ratio of your likeing

** some tanks like to take melee DPS peices with high amounts of mastery and reforge out the dps stat into parry/dodge. (ex: the 359 belt you get from being exhalted with Guardians of Hyjal) They make nice threat increase pieces.

*Enchants: There is actually nothing WRONG with mending, it is more a matter of what gear level you have and what content you are working through.

About you losing your hit/exp and suffering a threat loss, I actually did the same thing not long ago and I'll admit I did experience some minor discomfort for some time afterward, and every now and then a DPS would get a lucky crit in on my miss and get full aggro. But all of this can be overcum by tightening up your rotation a bit and if nescacary asking dps to be a little more concious of there own threat while you're still adjusting. (Embaressing to do as a Tank, I know, but as we all know, "It's always the Tanks fault" ~ every DPS and their mother)

If you have more question i would highly suggest you go here first: http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer
    In fact i'd go read it if you have some spare time, it's incredibly educational. It is more of a War tank guide, but most of it is a general Tanking guide, and even some of the things that are directly aplied to Warriors are also relatable to other Tank classes. (though there are a few parts that are purely war mechanics) But yeah, go check it out. It's a post by Lognosis
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 05-02-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Thought mending was useless. It's not. I still don't have a high opinion of it. To each his own.

+ Reply to Thread