+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PST - Episode 26

PST - Episode 26

This week:
    • How do I encourage people to use the forums/calendar without sound elitist?
    • Is theorycrafting law? Or just guidelines?
    • How can I stay interested in WoW even when it gets dull?
    • What's the best class for a raid leader?
    • and more!

PS: This was actually up yesterday, but since I'm mildly retarded (I blame the IGN Pro League) I forgot to actually post this here. Best way to stay on top of every episode is to subscribe to ZAMOfficial on Youtube, or follow me on Twitter or Facebook!

Of course, they'll still be posted here as well, when I'm not busy forgetting things :P

*You don't have enough beer in your diet. Beer makes you remember better. I heard that....somewhere.....I forgot.

*Disclaimer: Beer may not make you remember anything.
    Jesus loves you seriously big time. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across the oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees.. http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email

Sometimes it does make sense to push the phase early. On my guilds first 10M Nefarian kill we struggled in phase 2 at first. In order to save time while mastering this phase we would push to phase 2 asap. This allows you to get more practice on this phase during your raid time. This was done only after we mastered p1 of course. After mastering p2 we went back to getting multiple crackles in phase 1 before pushing, So for us it made a lot of sense to push the phase early.

Almost felt like I was x-ing out of AoL at the end there.

0:24 getting more use of guild website/calendar
    5:36 theorycrafting?
    10:00 how to stay interested in the game?
    15:30 what class or role is best to raid lead?
    18:55 in the next tier, what happens my valor and justice points?
    20:48 learning multi-phase fights?
    23:07 formal "gkick" regulations?

built off of a youTube comment with question times, just copy-paste from my post there.

"I'm being attacked by a murloc. . ."

owned :P

Casual does'nt = PUG

Every time Lore says "Share the Load" I get LOTR Sam flashbacks!

And I am glad he addressed the casual raid group question; because I was having a similar problem with people thinking casual meant PUG, and would show up if they felt like it.

So I fired the lot of them and started over with a strict policy of you no-show twice and your out.
    Obviously some exceptions such as they know ahead of time they aren't going to make it and inform me, or we have a doctor and firefighter that get some leniency too. ( they can't say "Sorry can't save you now It's Raid Time!)
    "It's always the Healer's fault; unless it's the Tanks fault, just ask the DPS'er in purples doing 5k!"

I feel it is really worth mentioning that there is almost always a reset on VP and Conquest points when each new tier is released which answers one of the questions where he asks if he should horde up 4k points

I think the best class for raid leading is a range dps with an easy rotation like moonkin or something. You can better see the whole fight and what needs to happen etc. You usually don't have to focus on a single thing so much and it's not where you have to use a cooldown at X or that's a wipe etc. The guilds i have been in say where the RL is the Tank the strategies have been not as good as they could be to put it mildly... if that's the situation having a limited perspective is something that needs to be worked around seems like.
    Last edited by Subetei; 04-24-2011 at 01:38 PM.

an easy rotation like moonkin or something.
    shhhh, I play a moonkin & act like its the most stressful thing in the world... Don't undo all my hard work!

Also I raid lead as a moonkin, its not too difficult, but because of my style of leading (pretty much having a running commentary of the fight as it happens) I found holding down control really messed with my bashing of the keyboard. Side mouse buttons as your push to talk key ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by Joacimcans View Post
    I feel it is really worth mentioning that there is almost always a reset on VP and Conquest points when each new tier is released which answers one of the questions where he asks if he should horde up 4k points
    Since we have not had a VP or CP reset yet, you are basing this on arena points, which is not necessarily the same.

It could be closer to honor points (the new kind) when the season started a couple of weeks after cataclysm's release. Most people had 4k but that only let them buy two pieces of gear and did not really give them any advantage. You can't instantly buy a weapon with anything but arena/conquest points. The most you could buy if you were at the VP cap and it wasn't reset would be two next tier set pieces and anyone at the cap would likely have to drop their current 4 piece set bonus (540 spirit in my case) to get this.

Do you have a blue post to cite that says definitively "we will reset VP when 4.2 is released" or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Subetei View Post
    I think the best class for raid leading is a range dps with an easy rotation
    Don't know about the easy rotation requirement. Arcane Mages are a good example of an easy rotation and most of them will agree that it is easy to the point of being boring, so you won't offend them by saying that. I do find that a ranged DPS makes a good class for a raid leader though. They have a better view of the room than a tank or melee dps and they aren't looking at their raid frames the entire time like a healer.
    Last edited by ghelyar; 04-25-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarhym
    On the subject of Valor -> JP, I believe it stated that it would change on the next raid tier.
    Seeing as that won't be until Firelands, which is not 4.1, I would ASSUME, the conversion will not happen.
    Correct. The conversion from Valor to Justice Points, as well as the release of the next Arena season, won't happen until the release of 4.2.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...307?page=9#172

Is that enough?

I suppose a conversion from VP to JP is almost the same as a normal reset to 0. Valor Points reduced to 0 and Justice Points remaining entirely useless, as you will have already bought anything you can in both 346 and 359 if you have 4000 VP already.

Time to sell as many VP boots as possible before 4.2 hits then.

if they wouldn't reset VP that would be the equivalent of over 3 weeks worth of VP that some people would have at the start of the new tier assuming they follow roughly the same itemization that is a new tier piece and enough after your first capping of VP for the first week to buy your 2nd tier piece so it would put people who could pool 4k VP at a huge advantage.

Justice points will shortly be usable to purchase maelstrom crystals, new heirlooms being released and also convertable into honor.

And with the raid lead question, I vouch for (in 25 man content) the Raid Lead+ role lead approach, hands down. My guild's GM is also Main Tankadin, yet in addition has I believe Healing role lead (Holy paladin), 2 melee role leads (DK and Rogue), A tanking role lead(Prot warrior), 2 ranged role leads (Warlock and Hunter), with role specific commentary (such as healing assignments) in custom chat channels e.g. ____melee, ___ranged, ____heals, et cetera. To create such a channel is as simple as /join customchannelname, assuming it isn't taken already. For privacy, the custom channels are also password-protectable, though I believe if no one is in the channel it resets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellium View Post
    Sometimes it does make sense to push the phase early. On my guilds first 10M Nefarian kill...
    When I heard the question, I immediately thought of Nef. I would be seriously surprised if it was in regards to anything else. I'm sure the question was asked in a general way, so that it would get answered. The problem is that the question doesn't apply to many bosses, and so in general doesn't make much sense.

+ Reply to Thread