+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Druid Tank Hit Cap?

Druid Tank Hit Cap?

Hopefully I am posting this in the correct area. It's my first post on TankSpot. Please move it, if I am in the wrong.

Ok, without going into too much detail, I'll try to sum this up:

We were without our regular warrior OT this week, so we had our boomkin go bear-tank and tank with me (DK) this week. This is all normal 10 man raids.

We managed to finish this week with 10/12 (no Nefarian or Al'Akir ). It was during our Cho'gall attempts on Tuesday that I noticed that the bear had some taunt and "dps issues."

The next day I took a closer look at his gear, enchants, reforges, etc, etc. He is sitting at 3% HIT in bear form. Is this a little low? It seems to me he should be shooting for 8%.

I approached him about this and he claims that "hit rating doesn't matter for bears." I didn't challenge him on this, because...well...I don't know much about bear tanks and he was only filling in for the week.

So, I want to help this guy. I can't seem to get any clear answers from any Druid or bear tanking forums. So I need to here some opinions, and ideas.

Should he be shooting for 8%? I have no idea what his expertise is at. I just want our "backup" bear to be the best he can be. If that means sacrificing some health for better mitigation and stats, then so be it. Cata isn't about "stam stacking" anymore.

Any advice, suggestions or links would be helpful.

Thank you.

ps. To add, here is our raid setup from this week:

TANKS
    DK
    Bear

HEALS
    Disc Priest
    Holy Paladin
    Resto Shaman

DPS
    MM/Surv Hunter
    Enhance Shaman
    Dest Warlock
    Fire Mage
    Arcane Mage
    <||Solus Verum||> Stand on your own and seek the Truth
    http://SolusVerum.com/

His hit rating is just fine unless you NEED him for interupts. If you have melee this really should be there job.

Taunt and dps issues, I usually pull about 9k dps give or take on cho'gall (going into cat to dps when I can) and taunts CAN NOT MISS. So if he is taunting and losing aggro to you its your job to watch omen and not pull back off him as this can happen sometimes after a taunt if your are not mindfull of each other.

He should be reforged for dodge on every piece and should be gemming pure agi, agi/stm, dodge/stm or agi/dodge.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...oopin/advanced

If you would like to look at it and see how I gem etc.

As you have an enhancement shammie i would say putting the bear on interupts would be overkill, so the bear shouldn't be aiming for hit as a threat stat. It does have some interplay with the bear mastery, since you need to hit to crit, and bears need to crit to activate their version of bloodshield. Our guilds Bear tank has ~4% hit and generally is fine aslong as the tanks don't decide to go nuclear on threat after the other has taunted.

Remember Bears don't have vigilance like warriors do, If the the bear tank is not actively tanking something for even short periods of time his vengenace can drop off completely meaning that while your attacking with 20k AP when he taunts off he's likely only got 6k or so AP and given bears rediculous dodge chance it can be sometime till he take s a hit to regain his vengenace. a warrior on the other Hand is going for block so is likely gonna take ~70% damage from the first hit and since the other tank is vigilanced his vengenace hasn't fallen off as much and if you overaggro, coz being silly you didnt back off, his taunt is refreshed each time your hit.

Tanking doesn't require hit rating. Interupting does require hit rating. Tanking does not eqaul interupting.

With vengeance as Powerful as it presently is, no tank really needs expertise for normal mode Raiding.

I appreciate the replies. I'll be sure to send him this way and read the advice given.

Thank you!
    <||Solus Verum||> Stand on your own and seek the Truth
    http://SolusVerum.com/

and this helps me out a lot anyways. but my question is doesn't expertise matter to push dodge off the table?

+ Reply to Thread