+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyboard with 6 arrow keys?? (Instead of just 4)

Keyboard with 6 arrow keys?? (Instead of just 4)

I have been looking at pictures of keyboards to try to find one with 6 arrow keys instead of the standard 4 arrow keys on all the keyboards I see so far. I want the keys to help strafe in some situations where I switch hands to move my character around by those arrow keys and 4 is not enough. Has anyone seen such a keyboard with two extra keys by the arrow keys?

P.S. I know the wow keyboard has this.. But I read about tons of compatibility issues with them and for 110 bucks man what a risk.

You mean something like this? http://bestgamingkeyboards.com/Produ...-Keyboard.html

Up, down, left, right, and up-right and up-left?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

its normally called wsadqe

Loganisis thanks that would be perfect except the keys are on the wrong side.. I still want them where the arrow keys are now but just with 6 keys.. I guess they don't exist I looked all over..

Quote Originally Posted by Contravene View Post
    Loganisis thanks that would be perfect except the keys are on the wrong side.. I still want them where the arrow keys are now but just with 6 keys.. I guess they don't exist I looked all over..
    you could use the number pad. unless you use that.

Do you not play with a mouse? or are you playing left handed?

I have a left handed guildie who's retraining himself to keybind. What he ended up doing is using the mouse in the left hand and using the num pad in the right. 123456 controlled all the movement (although if you're using your mouse to move, you only need left and right strafe), and all the other keys for keybinds. That's 12 easily reachable keys, or 16 if you only keybind left/right strafe for movement. In actual fact, you could probably get away with just one strafe key, too.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

With all the keys available on a standard keyboard... I would say bind your movement to different keys.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Yeah, if you really want 6 keys in those positions, you could use your Delete, End, Page Down, Page Up, Home, and Help keys like arrow keys. If you're really feeling adventurous you could even remove the arrow keycaps and move them up to those keys.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Thanks for all your help I think I need to work a better solution out.. The reason I wanted it is because I am an old (non mouse) Doom Player I haven't played games for years and when I came to Wow I ended up hybrid. I guess it is burned in my head how to fight now using these keys from those types of games. So I use (during fighting) arrows with my right hand and do my rotation with my left hand. I use the mouse with my right hand if need be very quickly and efficiently then my hand goes back to the arrows.

Right now to strafe I use CTRL+arrow but I am having a problem in stonecore that would be less of a problem if I could strafe.. I do use WADSQR also to walk by the way but I use arrows during a fight. Possibly I need to go back to the drawing board and relearn my layout cuz I need quicker straffing.

looking at my keyboard, slightly above my arrow keys is a block like this:

insert | Home | Page Up
    -----------------------
    Delete | End | Page Down

From experience, most 101+ key boards will have this, mine is a $15 basic logitech model I picked up when a key broke on my laptop.

*Logitch Keyboard K120 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...d/devices/6692

Oddly enough, I have the same play-style as you do: rotation (left hand), movement (right hand), no mouse.

I just hate using a mouse, especially after a couple decades of using a track ball. To add insult to injury, I play on a laptop without a number pad. So ... I key bind.

Movement control is done via the arrow keys, with "/" for strafe-left and "end" for strafe-right, because without strafe keys I can't circle-strafe in PvP. All of my attacks are bound to my number keys, F keys, and QWE keys, so far, with the most used being 1234567, F4, F5, F6, F7, Q, W, and E (minimal hand movement). Jump is still the space bar, and less used actions are 890-=, as well as Shift+ and Ctrl+ the same keys. I also have started experimenting with chained macros, but no real effect at the moment. In addition, I dropped the "push-to-talk" for vent, just to have one less button to worry about in a fight.

Taken all together its a mess, but I'm currently the #2 Horde prot pally on my server for raid content and I'm a death-machine in PvP, so I guess it works for me.

SJ

+ Reply to Thread