+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When addon is doing to much?

When addon is doing to much?

So my friend is a bad player. However I like raiding with him (he is not in our main group, but he can sometimes come if a "main raider" is absent). When i asked him about his low DPS, he said to me that he is not using key binds and is clicking almost everything. He is a warlock and I sent him a configuration of Power Aura to show when DOTs are out and other stuff. Helped, but not much. He knows when to cast something but is still clicking on an action bar. Then I came with and idea for "clickers". If they are all crossed out from raiding? Sure they can never be as good as us "all-key-binders" but after some twicking, he was able to make some decent dps and still be aware of fires, sound rings and other stuff.
    This is what I made after mixing some addons with Power Aura - http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5...ickablewow.jpg

The question is - is it ok?:P I mean, he is doing much better dps and pays much more attention to what's going on. I know that addon i playing the game for him, but so does other dot trackers, power auras, spellflash and so on. Here he is just able to click on the icon so he can focus on what's going on to his character.

P.S. That't not my or his UI - I was just configuring clickable addons on my lvl 80 warlock.

The only point of contention I see is that you are making the buttons disappear, effectively preventing him from clicking something "wrong". Telling him what to press next is ok, had plenty of FaceRoller type addons do that in the past. Making it so he can't press something wrong is another story. FaceRoller said push this button next, but it never took away your other buttons preventing you from ignoring the addon and making what the addon considers a mistake (in practice it may be the correct decision to deviate).

This is a new area in addon development. Instead of playing the game for you by doing the "right" thing all the time, we are now developing addons which instead are designed to prevent you from doing the "wrong" thing (such as the addon designed to prevent clicking on Atramedes' shields early). Blizzard hasn't really addressed this new school of thought in addon development yet. So "is it ok?" I don't know yet. Personally I disagree with it though. This type of addon however would only effect a clicker, because even if the button is hidden, the keybind is still active. So large scale application of such methods isn't likely in the near future.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

i don't think it is hard to design addon that will disable your buttons in certain conditions.

Except for combat locking conditions. Addons can not write macros, change keybinds, or change action bars while in combat.

Otherwise someone would have written long ago an addon that simply does...

Put whatever I should push on the "1" keybind. As priorities change, simply swap what is bound to that button. So that all I have to do to play the game is push 1.

Because of combat locking conditions, such an addon can't exist.

Now you can do something like that for clickers because the mouse can't interact with an invisible button. You can't click on it if it isn't there. However you can't do this same type of action for someone that uses keybinds because keybinds don't require what it is bound to being visible.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread