+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Self Healing Based on Damage Taken?

DK Self Healing Based on Damage Taken?

So last night a friend asked if the DK tank tier was worth it and I mentioned that I had heard that the 5% to Death Strike helps with shield/healing. He pointed out to me that DK healing off of Death Strike is based on damage taken. And according to the tool tip he's correct. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49998

So if the tier bonus is 5% damage increase to DS (for 2 pieces), http://www.wowhead.com/item=60350; is it worth it. What's the benefit other then threat?

Blood shield gives a shield of 50% of the amount healed through DS, http://www.wowhead.com/spell=77513, but DS's heal is based on damage taken.

Is the tool tip wrong? I'm confused.

The 2 are not related, I've never questioned why our tier bonus for tanking is damage and not healing/avoidance of some sort. I can say that building to the 4 piece set is golden with the IBF duration being increased.

Doesn't this fall in line with other 2 pc sets, I mean normaly the first part of the set is only icing and not the cake, to enjoy both you have to invest in all 4 pieces. The Pally 2 piece increases their hit rating, and the 4 piece increases their dodge.

I guess it's in line with others though I haven't looked at all of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

I would guess that because our threat is based off of being able to hit, having an increase in the amount of damage done helps with threat generation - especially since people are expecting to reforge out of hit and expertise. Not sure if they did away with that part of threat gen because of vengeance, but it would make sense to me if they left that part in to boost the effectiveness of things like this.

But no, the tooltip is right, the shield/healing assumption is wrong, and I think most people just say who cares? when it comes to the 2pc and salivate over the 4pc.

Thanks, you're right about the 2 piece going to threat. I took a look at the old tier bonus and 2 pieces for Tier 10 was increased DnD damage and the 4 piece (my personal favorite, I just loved this bonus) was 12% damage reduction after using Blood Tap. Soul Reaper was a joke as a DK, between the 4 piece bonus and AMS and Vamp Blood you could just stand there all day.

But I guess I never noticed this threat/survival split before.

Yes, I understood death strike differently, one of the posts of wowhead clarify this:

"
    Say you have 50.000 Health, and your Death Strike will thus always heal for AT LEAST 5000
    Now you spec into Blood, and get Improved Death Strike

Your Death Strike will now heal for at least 7250 (or 14.5% of your total health), and will give you a Blood Shield which in this case give you a 3625 absorption shield (50% of the amount healed).

Now imagine you are tanking, and you are struck for 3000, 5000, and 2000 and within 5 seconds you land a successful Death Strike.

Now we go back to what happened: You took 10.000 damage within a 5 second time frame, and performed a Death Strike which landed (e.g not dodged/missed/parried etc). 30% of 10000 = 3000. But your normal Death Strike will heal for 7250.

So in this case your basic Death Strike will outheal the *scale-with-damage* Death Strike.

So after that Death Strike you are granted a 3625 Blood Shield but then are hit for 40.000! So you take 36375 damage (3625 absorbed) and perform yet another Death Strike!

30% of 36375 damage =10913. Which is more then your basic Death Strike heals for (7250), so in this case you are healed 10913 and granted a 5456 absorb shield."

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49998#comments
    Best Regards.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/naphazw/simple
    Other Characters visit my profile

It's minimum 7% of your health, not 10%, no? (before Imp DS). Also, it's 15% of previous damage.

I suspect the reason for your confusion is that in WOTLK, it used to be based off the damage dealt. In Cata, since blood is purely tank spec, it's based on damage intake only now, unless you glyph it for . IIRC, it used to be 7-15% of your health, but 15% of your health was too much, unless you get hit for 100% of your health (i.e. you are a dead knight not a death knight, or perhaps you get lucky with WotN), you shouldn't see it.
    Last edited by Insahnity; 04-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.

This all makes sense now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Naph View Post
    Yes, I understood death strike differently, one of the posts of wowhead clarify this:

"
    Say you have 50.000 Health, and your Death Strike will thus always heal for AT LEAST 5000
    Now you spec into Blood, and get Improved Death Strike

Your Death Strike will now heal for at least 7250 (or 14.5% of your total health), and will give you a Blood Shield which in this case give you a 3625 absorption shield (50% of the amount healed).

Now imagine you are tanking, and you are struck for 3000, 5000, and 2000 and within 5 seconds you land a successful Death Strike.

Now we go back to what happened: You took 10.000 damage within a 5 second time frame, and performed a Death Strike which landed (e.g not dodged/missed/parried etc). 30% of 10000 = 3000. But your normal Death Strike will heal for 7250.

So in this case your basic Death Strike will outheal the *scale-with-damage* Death Strike.

So after that Death Strike you are granted a 3625 Blood Shield but then are hit for 40.000! So you take 36375 damage (3625 absorbed) and perform yet another Death Strike!

30% of 36375 damage =10913. Which is more then your basic Death Strike heals for (7250), so in this case you are healed 10913 and granted a 5456 absorb shield."

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=49998#comments
    Best Regards.
    I'm afraid this post in wowhead is not entirely true. Even with IDS, the minimum heal is still 7%, not 7%*1.45. The healing boost only works for the "20% of the damage one takes in last 5 seconds" part, then it will be compared with 7% hp, and the larger one will be taken as the final result. Please read this post for the detailed DS test results.
    http://pwnwear.com/forum/death-knigh...nics-t740.html

It's an old post when DS doesn't stack. Just ignore that part. Other things still hold.

By the way since - Death Strike self-healing no longer generates threat - insc dps from DS from set bonus could maintain same TPS.
    If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average

+ Reply to Thread