+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: avoidance macro and warrior avoidance tanking.

avoidance macro and warrior avoidance tanking.

Ok question for the Marco creators. The following macro as served me for a long time but since the 4.0 patch and the removal of the Defense rating this macro need to be updated

Any suggestion or upgraded versions of this macro would be very helpful.

Old Macro = /run local b,d,p,r,a=GetBlockChance(),GetDodgeChance(),GetPar ryChance(),GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) a=1/(.0625+.956/(r/122.9625))

Also my Wow armory link is as follows http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dagon/advanced

I am an avoidance tank. Anything information that can aid me in my quest to avoid damage we be most helpful.

/run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Total avoidance and block: %.2f%%", GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+GetDodgeChance() +5));
    This should do it.

ok for some reason the whole Macro didnt copy and paste right

/run local b,d,p,r,a=GetBlockChance(),GetDodgeChance(),GetPar ryChance(),GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) a=1/(.0625+.956/(r/122.9625)) ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable: %.2f%% Avoidance: %.2f%% Defense %+.0f rating",b+d+p+5+a,d+p+5+a,r-689))

here is my old macro.

now is being unhittable still a factor ?

oh and thank you Stengel for your macro post. sorry i didnt have the whole macro posted. i cant help myself im an orc

Quote Originally Posted by Stengel View Post
    This should do it.
    Remember to change +5 to +7 if you're a night elf.

Why are you boxing yourself in by calling yourself an avoidance tank?

To me, it seems you are a rather well-balanced tank. You made some smart enchanting and reforging choices, and judging from those, I expect you to have some stamina trinkets in your bags just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I expect you to have some stamina trinkets in your bags just in case.
    i dont have any stam trinkets of yet worth anythng but there is always tomorrow right?

oh and Stengel thanks again for the Macro, at this point the score looks to be 71.53%

i may have overlooked something here but if you are counting the total amount of dodge parry and block this isn't really a useful value. Dodge and parry both mitigate 100% of the incoming dmg. Block on the other hand mitigates 30% of incoming damage. I would suggest a small adjustment to the macro that would produce a value showing the percentage of incoming damage that will be caught by avoidance and not do damage to you.

/run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Total avoidance and block: %.2f%%", (GetBlockChance()*0.3)+GetParryChance()+GetDodgeCh ance() +5));
    edit: for some reason there is a space being put in the dodgechance command, if you wish to use the macro be sure to remove it. also, change the +5 to a +7 if you're a nelf.

Quote Originally Posted by lodimas View Post
    i may have overlooked something here but if you are counting the total amount of dodge parry and block this isn't really a useful value.
    It is useful to determine how close you are to 102.4% which is easily reachable even at this point with Shield Block and/or certain trinket procs.

sorry, i have been playing my shaman quite heavily for a while now. What is the significance of the 102.4% mark? A link is fine, i'm intrigued

Your avoidance is calculated against a same level opponent, however a raid boss is three levels higher than yourself. That's the significance.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by lodimas View Post
    sorry, i have been playing my shaman quite heavily for a while now. What is the significance of the 102.4% mark? A link is fine, i'm intrigued
    It's 2 part.

First, every level a mob is above you, the mob negates .2% of each; Miss/Dodge/Parry/Block (or .8% per level increase). (think of it like Expertise). A boss mob is always +3 levels above you. For Cata, this means level 88 mobs, with an extra 2.4% chance to land a hit on you. So, if you make your Miss+Parry+Dodge+Block = 102.4% in your character sheet, every attack can only be a Miss, Dodge, Parry, or Block.

Secondly...
    Why does that matter? Well, if the absolute worst case is that you're going to Block an incoming hit (miss/Dodge/Parry do zero damage), that means every hit will be reduced by at least 30% (40% for Paladins). It helps smooth out incoming damage so healers can act/react better, while also lessening the worst case scenario.
    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with the software.

Very nice, time saving macro. Thanks!

thanks for the reply i see the significance now, i misunderstood what OP was trying to achieve. i thought he was after a way to calculate toatl mitigation.

I don’t know if I’m missing the point here but, let me try to explain what I’m looking for again.

I’m not looking for the macro that lets me know how close I am to 102 %.

From what I understand there are “for the warrior tank “ about 4-5 ways to mitigate incoming damage.

1) Dodge
    2) Parry
    3) Block a percentage of damage avoided
    3.5) Critical Block additional damage avoided
    4) Armor Physical Damage avoidance

What I’m looking for is a macro that will give me some details on how close I am to my target goal.

Example the out come of the macro should look like the following.

Avoidance (Dodge and Parry) 35%, Block 31%, Critical Block 50%, Armor 57% Physical. Note: the Critical block chance is optional in the macro.

This will show me a base percentage of where I’m at with each piece of gear as I swap them out or when I reforge them. After which all I would have to do is the simple math subtractions from the bosses levels above me to have a ball park on how much of a chance I would have at mitigating the over all damage I would be receiving. And make the right gear choices for the encounter. Since we can now have different pieces that can be reforged which can be swapped in and out for any particular encounter.

My old macro /run local b,d,p,r,a=GetBlockChance(),GetDodgeChance(),GetPar ryChance(),GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) a=1/(.0625+.956/(r/122.9625)) ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable: %.2f%% Avoidance: %.2f%% Defense %+.0f rating",b+d+p+5+a,d+p+5+a,r-689)) almost does this except for the defense rating part, and the block for some reason is pretty high or reflects the results of the macro Stengel added.

I would like to believe that my main job is raid awareness coupled with the ability to mitigate as much damage as possible so as to lighten the burden of heals on the tank. so as the healer can have more of a chance to make healing choices between spikes, from light healing to heavy heals to insure that he can better conserve on his mana pool and last until the end of the encounter.

And if any one could please link me any web site that talk about this in detail I would be greatly in debited to you, for some reason I cant find a lot of tank talk on Tankspot about warrior tanks. Or if I’m missing a post that is up to date with cata please link that.

Thanks Meldagon.

The 102.4% only applies to avoidance and block, armor doesn't factor into that equation because armor is part of effective health calculation or your ability to survive the damage that isn't avoided or mitigated in this way. Effective Health is separate from Avoidance. That math scares me. You're actually adding armor to avoidance and calling it avoidance.

So what you want is an approximation of how much physical damage you will take? This isn't actually possible in a macro because there isn't sufficient character space to run a full calculation on how much critical block you have. This is because overflow of block gets converted to critical block you need to run a complex calculation to figure out where that overflow point occurs. How much mastery counted for block and critical block, and how much mastery only counted for critical block? You also have to consider the variable point at which block overflow begins, since block is the lowest avoidance on the combat table, increasing dodge, parry, or miss chance actually results in lowering the functional cap of block. This cap is also variable depending on the targets level, the 102.4% is because of a raid boss being three levels higher or effectively having 15 weapon skill higher than your defense skill (while these numbers do not exist on your character sheet, the underlying logic of the combat table remains unchanged).

Your request isn't very clear and I think you should figure out what you want and state that clearly first. I believe what you are asking for is a way to approximate incoming physical damage reduction (including armor and avoidance). It may be possible to approximate that, however once you factor in critical block you will run out of macro space because you can't calculate that alone in a macro, 256 characters isn't sufficient. It would have to be done with an addon.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Bottom line is... Blizzard did not create easy API calls to determine the exact benefit you gain from your mastery. While you can determine the exact number you have for Mastery easily, the benefit can not be easily determined, especially in the case of a warrior where when mastery reaches an overflow point it changes. This calculation is done behind the scenes on the server when the combat table is checked, it has to figure out against each attack the likelihood of a critical block occuring because if you are attack from a level 80 mob or a level 83 mob, the chance of critical block is different once you exceed your cap. The only way you can determine this exact benefit is to run a relatively complex calculation to deteremine what the block cap is, is it exceeded, by how much, and how much of that overflow should be converted into critical block. While this is possible to code, a macro simply doesn't have enough characters to do this complex of a calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    The 102.4% only applies to avoidance and block, armor doesn't factor into that equation because armor is part of effective health calculation or your ability to survive the damage that isn't avoided or mitigated in this way. Effective Health is separate from Avoidance. That math scares me. You're actually adding armor to avoidance and calling it avoidance.

First I think we are missing the whole point here. I believe that we have two different opinions of the definitions of the words mitigation or to mitigate, or even the definition of the word avoidance.

Mitigation - is the art, knowledge of, or understanding of ones abilities in reducing ones damage to it most minute amounts before battle even starts.

Avoidance – is the art, understanding, and knowledge of the combat style known as to dodge and or parry, and there properties connected to the game of WOW. Not to be confused with mitigation, avoidance stands alone and separate with respects to block or armor for true avoidance can reduce damage to zero, while mitigation is limited or has a diminishing return.

In your quote you make it clear you did not understand and believe that I was connecting these to together. Total Avoidance is the combo of all that are relative to each other.

Armor.
    The Last line of defense. Unlike Un-hittable, and Avoidance your armor can only absorb physical, non magical damage.

Armor augments a character's health to a higher number (if the armor is positive), which represents the amount of physical damage a player can withstand. For instance, a character with 5000 health and 50% armor would be able to absorb 10000 damage before dying.
    The formula for determining damage absorption is:
    DA = (player health) / (1 - (% damage reduction given by armor in decimal form).
    For example, a character with 1000 health and 31.24% damage reduction would be able to absorb 1000 / (1 - .3124) = 1454 (rounded) damage.
    A character with 1000 health and 99.98 damage reduction would be able to absorb 1000 / (1 -. 9998) = 500,000 damage.
    Damage absorption only applies to physical damage.

Example: take a health of 44K and the RPD ( Reduction Physical Damage ) of 66.73% = DA of (132,251.30) not including diminishing returns.

Another way to look at this is, if the boss hits the tank for 50K – RPD which in this case is 66.73% will result in the tank only taking at max of (50K X 66.73 = 33365 – 50K) = 16,635 total damage. this will keep going until the total DA is depleted which is 132,251.30 or either the boss is dead or the tank has died.

But I think again this is all getting way off track from my target or the reason for my posting. The Marco I have posted shows Block, Avoidance, and defense. The defense no longer exists and needs to be removed from the macro for one. Two I would like to separate the block percentage from the avoidance (dodge/parry) percentage to give two numbers that can be monitored. By changing gear the block may have different numbers versus the avoidance numbers. Making some gear more desirable on some events more them other. And would greatly aid in the selection of gear.

On another note I would like to state that I am not a warrior that just excepts the gear that blizzard stuffs in my face, and I don’t gem because it’s the fashion. I am far from being a cookie cutter tank. I make every endeavor to milk every bit of avoidance out of every piece of gear that is presented to me. I believe the better my avoidance is the longer I will stay up in battle which will give my healers time to make the right choice in healing spell to keel me up and that will conserve their mana. Anything less and I would be a tissue tank.

So in short I ask again. if any of you macro gods can aid me in fixing my old macro so it will be more up to date that would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PRF_Meldagon View Post
    My old macro /run local b,d,p,r,a=GetBlockChance(),GetDodgeChance(),GetPar ryChance(),GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL) a=1/(.0625+.956/(r/122.9625)) ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Unhittable: %.2f%% Avoidance: %.2f%% Defense %+.0f rating",b+d+p+5+a,d+p+5+a,r-689))
    Posted by you quoted exactly.
    Ok... in your macro you litterally have...
    b+d+p+5+a
    as your first passed variable which is output as "Unhittable". You yourself are defining in your macro that armor is included in the "unhittable" calculation. It is not.

Second in your macro you have...
    d+p+5+a
    and you define that as "Avoidance". You are litterally added armor to dodge and parry and calling it avoidance.

Before you go and say I don't understand what I'm talking about have you even looked at what you yourself posted.

If I were to go to the evil tanking threads of some long time tanking theorycrafter in these forums, do you think I'd find anything about armor under the section for avoidance? Or in the unhittable calculation?

So what's this 102.4% thing?
    That's the point where you have removed hits, critical hits (and crushing blows) frm the combat table. 100%, but 102.4%, yep. Just as each level that the mob is above you increases its chance to crit by 0.2%, it also reduces its chance to miss by 0.2%, and your chance to dodge, parry, and block by 0.2%, or a total of 0.8% per level. For a mob +3 levels, that's 2.4% worth of extra hit chance the mob has that you need to make up for on the combat table, so you need 102.4% worth of dodge+block+parry+miss so that you are left with 100% combined on the combat table. We used to call that uncrushable, but since crushing blows are no longer something we generally need to worry about (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f63/4...ing-blows.html), we just call it unhittable now.
    From Satrina on the combat tables. That is the "unhittable" calcuation. And it DOES NOT INCLUDE ARMOR.
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...e-Combat-Table

You are trying to calculate something completely different, but are calling it the wrong thing. Therefore your math is incorrect. For that matter, armor would never be added to avoidance in a calculation. Rather, it would be multiplied by the remaining percentage of damage that comes through to determine the estimated damage reduction when combining armor and avoidance.

And I go back to my original post. Your question isn't clear because you are asking it in the wrong way.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 01-11-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PRF_Meldagon View Post
    From what I understand there are “for the warrior tank “ about 4-5 ways to mitigate incoming damage.

1) Dodge
    2) Parry
    3) Block a percentage of damage avoided
    3.5) Critical Block additional damage avoided
    4) Armor Physical Damage avoidance

i dont think i made mention of armor being part of avoidance.
    and why are we nit picking this apart. can the macro be fixed ? if your not sure let someone else give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread