+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick pally question

Quick pally question

So I was curious...if I am tanking heroic maloriak can I have one if our ret pallies put blessing of protection on me to mitigate he damage I take during the cast he does during black phase or will this cause me to loss aggro.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

This will cause you to lose aggro (You could instantly taunt it back so It will stay focussed on you for 2 more seconds and after that dispel the Hand of Protection). Other then that I think BoP only blocks physical damage. I have no clue whether this cast is physical damage so It might work.

You could let the retridin cast Hand of Sacrifice on you, transferring 30 % of the damage while he bubbles so he doesn't take the actual damage.

*Not sure if It is hand or blessing. Whateva!
    Last edited by Buffalowings; 04-20-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    EU | Genjuros | Buffalowings
    -| Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. |-

the cast is shadow damage and as such will ignore stuff like BoP. As Maloriak does not melee during dark phase (he only casts this spell every 10 seconds or so) he shouldn't drop you as his target, and BoP will do absolutely nothing

Re: Quick pally question

Thanks for all of the quick replies.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

A couple of things…

First, Maloriak is not supposed to melee during the Dark phase, but he will still do so occasionally between casts of engulfing darkness. I suspect this is a bug, but it does happen, and has caused a wipe or two until we adjusted for it.

Second, Engulfing Darkness is all shadow damage. Hand of Protection will do nothing to reduce the damage from it. The suggestion for Hand of Sacrifice is a good option though, and damage reduction cool downs are all useful. The best way to mitigate the damage is cool down usage, and don’t forget about Shadow Resist. Power Word Shields and Absorbs do work though, so having a Discipline Priest on the Maloriak tank is a solid plan as well.

Third, during dark phase, if you were to lose threat on Maloriak you can’t just taunt him back. While he is affected by the dark vial, he is immune to taunt.

Generally speaking, most deaths on Maloriak in Black Phase are due to three things: Standing in a puddle while taking a breath, healers not topping the tank off, or being melee’d after a breath is finishing. The first is avoidable by paying attention, and using a cool down whenever you notice the puddle (You shouldn’t need a cool down when there is no puddle). The last is avoidable by simply not being in melee range when he finishes the channel, you can run in and out, or stay out the entire time.

+ Reply to Thread