+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking with a warrior, I'd like to learn my class better and the best way to spec.

Tanking with a warrior, I'd like to learn my class better and the best way to spec.

I was just looking for pointers/advice on what I should gem and spec and what skills I should look for most.
    What tree would be best.
    I don't do well with Aggro most of the time and I tend to die very fast I am 85 and trying to tank regs so i can eventually move up to heroics and raids.
    I just want to know everything, I'm new to tankspot so I have no idea where to look for this information.
    So if anyone could help me or direct me in what I should do with my warrior to make him top notch at tanking I'd be very appreciative.

thanks --
    Gamelancy12

Well, first off you are in the right area.

Post us an armory link of your toon.

Then describe what you to from the time you pull mobs (what abilities you use, in what order, etc.), and possibly circumstances why you die.

You might also be dying because you don't understand the mechanics of the instance and are doing something fundamentally wrong, even with trash.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...melancy/simple
    Here he is.
    I know he has very little tank gear, but I feel it's decent enough for regs?
    And usually when I pull mobs, I charge > Rend > Thunderclap (Spreads rend) > Shockwave > Cleave
    And I still have problems holding aggro with that.
    Idunno what do to, I just wanna know how to spec him and what not, where to get gear that's good for him. etc

and usually I'm just tanking and I take quite a bit of damage, idunno if I get bad healers or not.

The short answer is, no, you don't have enough tank gear. It looks like it's a hodge-podge of DPS gear, and you are NOT tank-ready.

Tank Gear is easy to spot. It must have dodge or parry. You can sometimes get away with some hit/mastery items, provided you reforge the hit to parry or dodge, preferably parry. If it lacks dodge, parry or a metric tonne of mastery, you shouldn't be wearing it. Reforging DPS items that have no mastery on it (For example crit/haste item to crit/haste/parry or whatever) is just not worth it.

Run as DPS in regulars and collect tank gear, possibly acquire other BoE tank gear. The resilience gear you should do away with ASAP, since you cannot reforge resilience, and you are squandering a lot of defensive stats.

When reforging, it should always be in this priority
    a) Mastery
    b) Parry, as long as you are not reforging mastery into parry
    c) Dodge, as long as you are not reforging parry or mastery into dodge
    Anything else doesn't make sense for a tank (say no to expertise reforges!)
    Don't be afraid to reforge hit to mastery/parry. As a tank in early cataclysm it's better to miss a hit than to not have more defensive stats.

Gemming
    Socket that meta gem slot and make sure you meet its requirements (if it says have 3 blue gems, make sure you have 3 of blue/green/purple gems). I recommend http://www.wowhead.com/item=52293 as your meta for now.
    Yellow - Pure Mastery, provided you have met your meta requirements.
    Blue - Mastery/stam, provided you have met your meta requirements.
    Red - Parry/Stam, provided you have met your meta requirements.
    (Say no to crit gems)

Work your Earthen Ring Rep to at least Revered to get your head enchant
    Work your Therazane Rep to exalted get your shoulder enchant

Sorry for double post had to go away for a sec.

Your spec is entirely wrong, you missed the most important talent, Bastion of Defense. It's impossible to tank without this.
    Try http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LG0cZZIrGdRRobbu

You are missing a lot of glyphs, including all the prime glyphs.
    Prime Glyph Devastate, Revenge, Shield Slam

Major Glyphs are situational. Until you get out of regulars, I suggest Sunder armor, Cleaving and Thunderclap

For Minors, You must have Demoralizing Shot, I also run with Battle and Command

Get your mining to 525, and your smithing up to at least 400 so you can socket your belt and gloves. If you get a belt that is ilvl 346 or better, make sure you use an Ebonsteel Buckle on it.

Enchants... you need them, but I'm out of steam. Look for Mastery, then Dodge, then stamina, and be sure to get the Earthen Vitality on your boots (30 stam+Run speed), it's stupidly cheap for a reason. IF it isn't any of those stats, don't forget to include leatherworking patches in your search, excellent source of dietary stamina in a variety of slots.

+ Reply to Thread