+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Loosing threat

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    Oh another question quick guys... any good setup for hitting those icons?
    I still use the original WoW thingie. so no X-Pearl.
    every bit helps i guess.
    Sounds like your talking about clicking ( activating abilities by mouse clicking them on screen ). If so i would change the way you play in general, keybind everything one way or another. I personally use a speed pad and a steel series wow cata mouse ( the naga is good also if you have girl thumbs ) . I feel this is by far the most important/ beneficial thing you can do as a tank. Eventually you will know what every button does without even having to think about it.
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Illidan/L%C3%ABverage/

Hi again,

Well your tips and hints seem to help out a greatdeal already. even i didnt buy yet all the glyphs because it seems some dont have those glyphs. or they dont put em on AH. anyways... it did help with the HS on bosses... not so much aggro loss anymore. plus telling people what to attack and sheep etc helped a great deal also. that is if they listen some just want to pull and expect you to pull the adds of them.
    Anyways anough of that still iam open for extra info and suggestions for raids etc. iam now at lvl item 351. it seems its importent again that you have a lvl item you go for.. makes me remind of WotlK with GS.. i hated it since some people put the highest item lvl in instead the best for the job. again thank you all for your input still always open for more suggestions plus what kinda mouse i would buy for it?

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    it seems its importent again that you have a lvl item you go for.. makes me remind of WotlK with GS..
    Your new "GS" improves automatically while playing and progressing and it's an indicator for you when it's time to move on. If somebody uses it to build his/her group just move on, the gap between decent gear and skill is bigger then ever.

When you're done with questing you end up somewhere between 312 (green quest rewards) and 333 (blue quest rewards, lvl 84-85 dungeon drops on normal mode). When you're done with normal mode dungeons and gained some justice point gear (346) you're ready for heroics (at least itemlevel 329 to queue with LFD tool). And when you're done with heroic dungeons you're somewhere in between 333 (drops you couldn't replace yet) and 359 (reputation epics or boe epic drops). Now you're ready for raids, it's no problem at all still running around with a 312 green strength gun because the only replacement didn't drop in 5 runs.

For mice suggestions.. visit any shop and don't buy them online. You'll work with it for the rest of your (or it's ) life, you really should feel comfortable with it.

For glyphs: ask in /trade for an inscription guy?!

Astonished nobody mentioned this by now... Heroic Strike less and Inner Rage more you'll be surprised how much better your tps is gonna get that way.

Heroic strike rly got nerfed to being a rage dump for those times your rage capped or so.

Also deep wounds is pretty much useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Leverage View Post
    More dps perhaps... this really should not be any tanks main concern though.
    This particular statement bothers me, I understand where you're coming from in the sense that survivablility > threat/dps in all instances where you aren't losing aggro w/ ideal rotations. I know it has been addressed by a few others posters as well but I wanted to say something on the matter.

However it SHOULD be the responsibility of all tanks and all raiders to maximize their DPS output regardless of their "role". Sure I may do 50% of the dps that a specced player may run but I can still pull anywhere from 7-11k on an average fight depending on my mood.

Lets take H. 10man Chimaeron for example, 7minute enrage 36,246,000 health.

A difference in 4k dps over the course of a 7minute fight (enrage timer, I know guilds kill much faster than 7mins) ends up being 1.5Million damage which is huge approximately 4% of the bosses total health. If all you care about is survivability you're not as good of a tank as you could be if you were trying to maximize damage out and minimize damage in. Killing the boss 4% quicker certainly will do a lot for your healers mana pools and your damage taken.

I spam HS as much as I can possibly manage with out messing up my standard tanking priority list and I can rage starve myself very easily if I wanted to using 3/3.

I know my example is not perfect however it does put some sort of perspective on the differences a tank can have on a fight through damage output.

If holding aggro and keeping dmg to a minimum was my only role I'd only be using my offensive abilities for about the first 2 minutes of a standard boss fight and could essentially afk until a positioning change is required.

Ever since the SWP and BT farming days I've been trying to push my DPS and TPS numbers high as I can regardless of the fight. I like seeing 60k tps instead of 30k even if DPS is only pulling 20k.

Quote Originally Posted by Eries View Post
    Astonished nobody mentioned this by now... Heroic Strike less and Inner Rage more you'll be surprised how much better your tps is gonna get that way.
    What's the point of using IR if you're HSing less?

Heroic strike rly got nerfed to being a rage dump for those times your rage capped or so.
    um, thats exactly what heroic strike always has been for Prot. what else are you trying to use as?

You sir, are either wrong, badly misinformed, or trolling. could you please explain what makes Deep wounds "pretty much useless" asits making up 3-6% of my damage and that makes it more threat per point than Cruelty, Thunderstruck, Imp. Revenge, Incite, Gag order, safeguard or enduring victory.

Unless you mean that since Deep wounds is only a threat talent, and threat is non-concenr after the first 30 seconds. but the OP of the fight is not in that situation.

/facepalm

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=1134

Yes, it did get nerfed. No it is not just a rage dump. It actually hits about as hard as Rev/Dev or harder. You just prioritize rage for Rev/Dev because they can trigger SnB procs, and SW/CB > HS. It's not that HS is bad, and it's not a rage dump. Hell early on in a fight it's key to building threat so DPS can go all out - since it's not on the GCD.

For AoE, I'd buy this quote. Otherwise - nope. Deep wounds, as Teng said, is better than any optional threat talent in terms of threat/talent point. It's just that good. If you want to say there's something better, that the opportunity cost is too high - well, then post a build you'd prefer. But Deep Wounds being useless for single-target environments is just plain ludicrious.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

+ Reply to Thread