+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tank Checkup- Mastery value

Warrior Tank Checkup- Mastery value

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...blade/advanced
    Hello That is my armory link above for my warrior tank. I have done alot of research since cata release and so far everything ive seen has said Mastery is my best stat. I have found this to be very true. My question is it possible to have too much mastery.
    Mastery in my eyes is passive dmg reduction from all blocks and doesnt seem like could have too much if you always block or crit block more. At which point does the stamina from gear not provide enough that i should have to gem it or choose from a different trink?
    Last edited by jaytrain08; 04-06-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrain08 View Post
    At which point does the stamina from gear not provide enough that i should have to gem it or choose from a different trink?
    There's no point in this addon. All damage spikes are predictable and you'll need a cooldown for them anyways. You want as much mastery as possible, stamina slightly raises with gear anyways.

I don't really understand what you are saying, but mastery is your best stat for regular 10/25 raids. Stamina becomes more important in hard modes.

You can block all you want, but you need to keep in mind that if you don't have the HP's to survive the damage, you are going to die anyways. This is the reason for the current gemming strategy for normal modes:

yellow- mastery
    red- parry/mastery
    blue- stam/mastery.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrain08 View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...blade/advanced
    Hello That is my armory link above for my warrior tank. I have done alot of research since cata release and so far everything ive seen has said Mastery is my best stat. I have found this to be very true. My question is it possible to have too much mastery.
    Mastery in my eyes is passive dmg reduction from all blocks and doesnt seem like could have too much if you always block or crit block more. At which point does the stamina from gear not provide enough that i should have to gem it or choose from a different trink?
    I feel like most of the time the concern of "do I have enough HP" is when you are pushing the edge of progression, when you are doing content that you are on the bottom end of the gear scale. However when you are in the middle of the gear spectrum or on the upper half, you shouldn't be relying on just stamina, as stamina doesn't lessen the damage incoming, but it does allow your healers time to react. But what you want to do in of level content is to smooth the experience and streamline the raiding difficulty, and the best way for a warrior tank to do that is mastery, and this is because when you hit shield block anything above 100% combined mit/avoid adds to your crit block by that amount extra. It's crazy how good mastery is....

In short, mastery is key and I don't see a situation where you REALLY can have too much mastery, but there may be a point where you need to start gemming and enchanting for other things because you do in-fact get more benefit from some of the other avoidance stats.

There's a mathematical answer to your question, and while we could answer it, it's better if you work it out on your own.

-Mastery increases chance to block.
    -If you don't avoid the hit, then the hit can be blocked.
    -Due to raid bosses being 3 levels higher than you, you want your

<Chance to be missed>+<Dodge after DR>+<Parry after DR>+<Chance to Block>

to be 102.5%. Anything more than that, you are "Wasting block". At THAT point, start shifting away from mastery towards either avoidance, or more likely, stamina. You also want to note, as a warrior, that if you hit the mystical 102.5% just on gear, hitting Shield Block increases your critical block.

Finally, just based on your armory, you can quickly tell how far away you are from 102.5%, BEFORE you factor in DR on your dodge and parry. Personally, I think you overdid the Dodge->Parry and you are doing your healers a dis-service.

It's not possible to have too much mastery. Maybe in 1-2 tiers when we hit 102,4% unhittable but untill then stack mastery all the way. As far as stamina goes you look fine, I have a very similar setup 155k unbuffed and am 4/12 HC now. Only for chimearon hc i swap in a second stam trinket. Maybe make the gap between dodge/parry 200-300 rating smaller its a little big now.

There are a few small things i would change on your gear.
    -mastery enchant on your gloves
    -not a big fan of mending, get windwalk or cheap weaponchain.
    -tier chest is an easy upgrade if you got the valor, boe shoulders are better as well.
    -Personally i like the stam trinket from valiona better, dodge on use is nice between shieldblocks and i feel like i dont drop below 35% enough.

Hope it helps gl
    Last edited by Bigbad; 04-09-2011 at 03:46 AM.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...owler/advanced There is my Tank.

I read through this thread and I had many of the same questions. Looking at my gear and using Mr Robot Im looking a total avoidance %. Mine is around 88% - If the 102% value is in reference to total avoidance I feel I am on the right track.

I have yet to raid on this alt yet - but I was thinking about it once I felt ok with my stats. For the heck of it I looked at RazrBlades stats and I am seeing three things that seem different from my setup.

I have 0.00% hit, he has 4.54% (is some hit needed? I assumed hit was not)
    I am at 21.83 mastery he is at 17.4 (I think we have established more is better so i feel good with my mastery)
    Im at 14% dodge/15% Parry his is at 14%/17% (Should I go with a larger gap between the two favoring parry?)

I'm showing him at 81% total avoidance whereas I am almost at 90%. My gear is valor point gear / ZA ZG / Fireland dailies - zero raiding. I was thinking I was not ready for raiding or geared well enough.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nyghtprowler View Post
    I have 0.00% hit, he has 4.54% (is some hit needed? I assumed hit was not)
    Hit is only needed if your DPS as a tank is an issue for a given encounter, or if you are in a situation where Vengeance will not stack sufficiently.

I am at 21.83 mastery he is at 17.4 (I think we have established more is better so i feel good with my mastery)
    yup

Im at 14% dodge/15% Parry his is at 14%/17% (Should I go with a larger gap between the two favoring parry?)
    ?
    the amount of mastery, dodge and parry dictates how large the gap should be, More mastery increases the value of parry, DR on Parry decreases it, I use this graph for a rough guide.

I'm showing him at 81% total avoidance whereas I am almost at 90%. My gear is valor point gear / ZA ZG / Fireland dailies - zero raiding. I was thinking I was not ready for raiding or geared well enough.
    you should be fine for raiding T12 normals; typically, if you're geared from the preivious tier you're geared for the current tier, so as t11 dropped 359, that's a good bench mark for being T12 ready.

+ Reply to Thread