Thread: Difficulty question

Difficulty question

Greetings,

We took awhile to get rolling in Cata content, but have downed (in the following order) Omnotron, Magmaw, Atramedes, Halfus, Valiona and Theralion and the Ascendant Council.

The Ascendant Council is new as of this past Sunday. We can typically clear the first 4-5 on a single 2 hour raid night (which may include Baradin Hold if we control it).

We are excited to finally get to a zone end boss and are considering working on Cho'gall. I've read that he is roughly on par with some of the other encounters we've completed, while other posts indicate he is more difficult.

I am curious where he ranks in comparison to what we've done, and the other encounters we've yet to complete. As an aside, we've gotten Conclave of Wind to 50% but haven't spent a ton of time on it primarily due to the random loot being a large turn off.

Thank you for any reply.

-Fenier

I'll answer your question with another question.

Does it really make a difference how difficult they are? If you killed everything but that boss, what will you do next? If I tell you it's a pain in the ass and you'll spend the next four weeks wiping, does that mean you won't try it? If I tell you it's a piece of cake, will you believe the cake isn't a lie?

In general, raid end bosses are typically tuned to be equivalent in difficulty or sometimes slightly harder than the easiest of heroic mode encounters. That would be the response most would give. And that's how they design it, so you know when you kill the end boss you are ready to start attempting the next thing, heroics.

Well in that same regard, if you are killing everything else in the instance, then you're ready to start attempting the next thing, the end boss.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I would go with your hunch and work on Cho'gall. We actually found him much easier than the Council, and the 'excitement' of your raid will be a big boost in morale which you shouldn't underestimate.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

10 or 25 man? In 25s, I found Cho'gall to be markedly easier than Ascendant Council, in 10 man the opposite.

Your choice is between Maloriak & Chimeron (and Throne of Wind) vs Cho'gall. I would rate Maloriak as pretty easy, Chimeron difficulty probably depends on the skill of your healers (if they are solid, he's fairly easy too). For my 10 man alt raid, we chose to leave cho'gall until after we'd cleared all the bosses in BWD other than Nef. We didn't bother going to throne of wind until we had nothing better to do.

Cho'gall is not that bad, once everyone understands all that's going on. It's a fight that seems to play on confusion more then raw damage, if you get what I mean. There's a bit of information overload, so, as long a people remain raid aware and get to phase 2 with no stacks of the vomit crap it's fine.

Cho'gall is definitely harder than Maloriak/Chimeron/Conclave, which are all relatively easy.

If you guys already have full epics (Near full epics), then yeah, might as well try Cho'gall and start getting people 4ps. But if you don't maybe you should get some gear. In terms of difficulty though, Conclave < Maloriak < Chimeron < Cho'gall.

Cho'gall can be very hard or rather easy on 10 man heavily depending on your lineup. Lot's of melees? No healer capable of playing dps so you can't twoheal him? Weak aoe caster?..

Since every group will have varying difficulty with each encounter, there isn't a very clear definition as to what is harder and what is not. One could simply look at kill statistics, however these are flawed in nature given the fact that some things you simply have to do in order. Cho'gall has fewer kills than Twilight Ascendant Council, however you don't even have the opportunity to attempt Cho'gall until you've killed the Twilight Ascendant Council. However your raid may actually find Cho'gall easier.

What one considers easy will differ a great deal depending on your own perspective. Honestly what we tell you will have little impact on what you come to realize on your own. Everyone will tell you something different.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I would say Cho'gall is definitely harder than Council on 10man, and it's the opposite on 25man. If you can get Council on 25man, you're ready for any normal mode fight.

I find it weird that youve downed Atramedes before Maloriak and Chimeron. We wiped for a week on Atramedes and got Maloriak and Chimeron down for the first time in the same night.