+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ok, so I purchased Fraps...

Ok, so I purchased Fraps...

I purchased Fraps and started recording a dungeon run. After about 30 minutes we finished up and I went to see what my recording looked like. I was surprised to find 15 separate files each about 2 minutes long and the file size is roughly 4 gig. Why is Fraps breaking the recording into small 2 minute segments? And why are the file sizes so huge! Am I suppose to recombine these files?

iirc fraps cuts videos off at 3.9 or 4 gigs and if you are still recording it will make a new file until that one hits 4 gigs. and yeh you will need to use a program to combine all the videos into one file if that's what you want.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

It is really random, sometimes I can fraps a 10 minute fight and get 2 files 4 gigs each (which as dest pointed out is the cut off for fraps) but other times it will be 5 2 minute files of the same fight a wipe later. Very annoying must have something to do with compression rates during recording.

Anyway I use sony vegas and it really does not make any difference working from 2 files or 5 files it all ends up the same. Vegas locks them together and is still seamless.

Thanks for the replies. Is there other software that doesn't have the 4 gig cut off?

Re: Ok, so I purchased Fraps...

No, it's a restriction dating back to x86 operating systems. 4gb is the largest file size you can open outside of a x64 operating system, and software really isn't written in the mainstream to take advantage of it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

I think the 4gb restriction was because of the FAT file system. The largest file size that can be stored in a FAT32 formatted drive is 4gb, so Fraps and some softwares will auto split files when they're larger than 4gb.

Yeah, but most hard drives don't use the FAT filing system anymore do they?

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaledor View Post
    Yeah, but most hard drives don't use the FAT filing system anymore do they?
    nope but no need to mess with what already works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

If you truly cannot live with the 4gig split, download and install Xfire's gaming client, it records all video into 1 large file

They probably want the client to be able to record to usb thumb drives, which iirc use FAT32 (at least I think mine does)

Re: Ok, so I purchased Fraps...

You can format a thumb drive into anything you want, ntfs, fat, fat32, exfat, or whatever mac uses.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Why is Fraps breaking the recording into small 2 minute segments?
    It's not broken into 2 minute segments but into 4GB chunks. And the reason it is broken into 4GB chunks is not related to the file system or the hardware architecture, though it's roots are based there.

The reason FRAPS uses 4GB chunks is because it records into AVI 1.0 format, and that file format has a hard limit of 4GB. This limit is regardless of anything else you take into consideration, you simply can't have a file of this format larger than 4GB and still work. This limitation was put in originally because I'm sure back when we were all watching VHS tapes yet (1992), the 32-bit limit of 4GB was plenty of space to work with because heck, computers didn't even have drives that big. Now there is also an AVI 2.0 format which does not have this limitation, however the FRAPS software still uses AVI 1.0 format.

So because FRAPS uses AVI 1.0, the files are limited to 4GB, regardless of if you are on FAT32 or NTFS or on a 32-bit architecture or 64-bit architecture. It's a limit of the format.

Now FRAPS could at some point decide to switch to AVI 2.0 format to get rid of this limation going forward, however I suspect their reasons for continuing to use this format are two fold.

1. They may still have a fair bit of 32-bit customer base, though it has rapidly decreased over the past several years. Their current implementation is both compatible with new systems and old systems. They don't need to change it to make it work on the new, it already does.

2. There may be some additional performance hit if they switch to AVI 2.0 format on the encoding piece which is in the answer to your next question. Any performance hit in an application designed to record in real time is bad.

And why are the file sizes so huge!
    Actually, these files are small. To put things into proper perspective, when I did a Lich King kill video it was in four pieces (4GB or less) for a 14 minute fight. In an intermediate pass of applying filters before my final encoding and compression of the video, I had a raw uncompressed video file of 156GB. FRAPS had under 16GB, I increased the size about 10 fold by switching to an uncompressed format between editing passes. FRAPS actually compresses the video a great deal while it is recording it, however it doesn't do some kind of major compression like DivX since that requires more processor load. Keep in mind, everything takes time. Recording the video... Compressing the video... Saving it to disk... FRAPS does all three of these tasks in real time. In needs to do some compression on the video before writing it to disk or there would be too much disk I/O trying to write data uncompressed. So this file size is actually a compromise between the system load in processing and compressing the video and how much effort is involved in writing it to disk. You spend a little extra time preparing the data so there is less to write. However if you ever actually did something like encode into say DivX format, you will find it takes your system like an hour to encode half an hour of video. If you were trying to perform that complex of a compression in real time, your system would grind to a halt.

Am I suppose to recombine these files?
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAPS FAQ
    Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.
    Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:
    • Start VirtualDub
    • Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
    • Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
    • Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.
    If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 800x600 or under.
    I personally use VirtualDub, but a lot of encoding/editing software will be able to merge the files.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I often compress my fraps video files with the following step by step on How to Compress Fraps Video to Smaller file Size

It can easily compress Fraps video into much smaller file size with almost no loss of video quality as well as convert Fraps video to AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV, MOV, MKV, MPG and more.

hope it also helps for you

after free try, this method not only compress fraps video but also convert fraps video to any other video format, really great

+ Reply to Thread