+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Tanking

DK Tanking

IDK if there is a thread about this or not but from i understand the stat order of importantance for Blood DK's is Stam>Mastery>Avoidance>Hit>Expertise>Crit>Haste.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...adnecro/simple is my DK. the question that im curious about is for avoidance. I've heard that i want them to about about equal in rating but i see tanks with them close in percent. Is it rating or % that i wanna have them close to?

Also I've found the tanking BIS list here but only prob iv found with it is it don't include 2H weps for DK's So what's the best pre-raid wep for a DK besides the archeology one?

The idea with avoidance, best I understand it and the math types will correct me if I mis-speak, is that they have similar diminishing returns so you want to keep parry/dodge close; if you even want to worry about them - I tend to focus more on effective health. I believe in the old days, parry had a steeper diminishing return then dodge.

As for BiS - it all depends. I use http://www.wowhead.com/item=59492. Personally, I think the mastery on this weapon, gives it a slight edge over http://www.wowhead.com/item=64377. But in the end we're kind of splitting hairs.

The ratings for each should be close, not the % shown on the character screen since the gains each gets from non rating sources (runeforging, strength, talents, etc) is not affected by diminishing returns.

I'll have to double check but it seems like for normal modes you want Mastery > Avoidance for tanking bosses and Avoidance > Mastery for add tanking (seems like conventional wisdom at this point). Haste is behind avoidance actually in terms of stat weights - an argument could be made (with math to back it up) that Expertise and then hit are after that.

Hit only needs to be high enough to reliably interrupt adds (which will no longer be an issue in the next patch) and Expertise greatly reduces the chance of both dodge and parry by the boss which is much more common than misses (I believe, again, would have to check this).

Keeping your dodge and parry ratings close works out better because of the pace of diminishing returns. The DR works on the ratings, not the percent (again, as far as I know) - but you have to be gearing for what you expect to do. If you're primarily a boss tank, you should go straight mastery and use as much of your mitigation points in that area. If you're add tanking, it seems (and sort of makes sense) that you should gear more heavily for avoidance and spend more of your available mitigation in that area.

I don't know that Crit even matters... as far as I know it is so low on the priority list that you can discount it altogether. As for stamina, you'll generally have enough from gear throughout normal modes and maybe a stam trinket. As you progress to heroic mode content, stamina becomes more important for obvious reasons (boss hits harder, and while your health was fine for normal mode hits, you need a bit more to be in a comfortable spot in heroics).

BiS is dependent on what you're gearing for. If you're going mastery for boss tanking, any weapon with mastery and expertise or mastery and hit are good (and of course if you have a bonus depending on your race, try and find that weapon too). If you're going add tanking, I would find one with haste and hit and reforge for avoidance (and use the SwordShattering runeforge). Just my own thoughts.

Finally, remember to look over your spec and glyphs to figure out what you can do to improve your survivability. For instance, you have two points in Abom's Might - if your raid can already get the benefit of that buff from someone else, think about where you can spend your points to help yourself out a bit more.

Forgot to mention that is my alt and not raiding atm but looking forward to raiding on soon.

+ Reply to Thread