+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Soul Blade, yes or no?

Soul Blade, yes or no?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zztguen/simple

I can't find any info in the gear guides on this site regarding soul blade. Sorry for not linking but I'm on my BB. It goes for 20 to 24k on my server is it worth it? BTW I can afford it but it is by no means pocket change. It takes me about a month to put together that kind of gold. I'm about to start raiding and I just need someone to steer me one way or another. I'm itching to click the buyout button, I just don't want to regret it.

Thanks

Until you have a shot at the maloriak mace, it's pretty much tops.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

That was quick Melvar thanks......didn't even finish my lunch....lol

it's nice, but i wouldn't spend 20k+ on it. either try to join a BoT trash farming run and get it for free, or just wait until you down valiona; she drops an equivalent weapon to tank with. your blue should be fine until then.

or just wait until you down valiona; she drops an equivalent weapon to tank with.
    No she doesn't.

If you're talking about Lava Spine it drops from Magmaw and it's by no means equivalent. The Mastery/Hit on the Soul Blade are tanking stats; Crit/Haste are not.

The Soul Blade and Mace of Acrid Death are the only really viable 359 tanking weapons right now.

Still, I wouldn't spend 24k on it. Just get a 346 weapon and start raiding. The swords drop like candy and Maloriak is not an incredibly tough fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    The swords drop like candy and Maloriak is not an incredibly tough fight.
    These are such bad comments. Drops are RNG. For every raider that sees it drop every week there's another raider that it drops nearly never. It's a bell curve. MOST raiders will see it drop every few kills. Some will see it drop far more often, some far less often. What you see is one blip on the curve.

To the OP - 346 weapons are fine for Normal Mode. Are you planning on jumping right into hard modes? If not, I would agree with marklar. 346 should be perfectly fine for normal modes.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

A word of warning. We are going into our 13th ID of killing maloriak. He has yet to drop the mace :/

IF the soul blade drops, take it, it is a very nice sword. I wouldn't drop 24k on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    A word of warning. We are going into our 13th ID of killing maloriak. He has yet to drop the mace :/
    Heh...we have had them drop for every tanking ALT (including my warrior getting it the first time in there), but our main raid tanks have yet to see it drop.

These are such bad comments. Drops are RNG...It's a bell curve.
    Yes, and my advice is to plan on being in the middle of the curve like most people. Which means you will see this drop.

I suppose if you want to plan for being a statistical outlier you could justify spending 250k on this item because you're never going to see either tanking weapon drop in your lifetime... but I would advise against that approach personally.

Depends how much you care about your dps/tps. It's not much better than some of the heroic blue weapons in terms of survival, so if that's all you care about it might not be worth the price. For me, I always want the highest ilv weapon I can get. On my warrior, I bought it right away (spend days askin trade for it) even tho I was already running BOT and killing Maloriak, cause I didn't wanna wait lol. Bought another one for my paladin the night he hit 85.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 03-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Soul Blade, yes or no?

Our guild runs BOT trash runs pretty frequently. Although those phase twister legs seem to drop the most, the soul blade drops pretty frequently. 2 times in the last week as a matter of fact.

It's a nice sword, but I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of gold on it....

Yes, and my advice is to plan on being in the middle of the curve like most people. Which means you will see this drop.

I suppose if you want to plan for being a statistical outlier you could justify spending 250k on this item because you're never going to see either tanking weapon drop in your lifetime... but I would advise against that approach personally.

Your advice is to plan on RNG? That's, frankly, bad advice.

No one is arguing spending a 24k let alone 250k gold on an item, all you're doing is distracting from the fact you made a bad antedoctal comment that will lead players astry.

If you plan on RNG drops, then you should plan on every 10th incoming attack being dodged at 10% dodge and every other attack blocked with 50% block.

That's not how RNG works and suggesting basing game decisions on this is bad.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

It's a nice weapon and useful for smf as well if you ever play offspec. If you have the money and are not yet raiding go for it. If it will blow a lot of your money I would use cookies tenderizer like I did =P.
    He who is afraid to lose will never win.
    Only when the power of love overcomes the worlds love of power, will mankind know peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    Your advice is to plan on RNG? That's, frankly, bad advice.

No one is arguing spending a 24k let alone 250k gold on an item, all you're doing is distracting from the fact you made a bad antedoctal comment that will lead players astry.

If you plan on RNG drops, then you should plan on every 10th incoming attack being dodged at 10% dodge and every other attack blocked with 50% block.

That's not how RNG works and suggesting basing game decisions on this is bad.

He wanted to know if it was a good choice... not if its practical or how oftend it might drop.. you can stop with your comments, they do no good. And everyone else can stop arguing over things that dont matter.

Soul blade has mastery on it, which is a great stat for a tank. But its not a huge upgrade over your current weapon, as your current one has parry, and only ~10 less mastery on it.

It would make a much larger difference if you look at your professions, and reforging. turn some of that dodge (im guessing you over looked a few items.. as you have most of your dodge turned into parry. but left it on some gear) into parry. And at the very least, pick up JCing.
    Last edited by Krenian; 03-30-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Swearing was honestly not needed to get the point across.

I bought one at 20K for my warrior tank when we started serious progression. It's a good weapon and accompanied me through countless wipes! lol I think every bit of gold I spent is worthwhile.

There were several concerns when I bought it. Because I bought it several months ago and the sword was usually quite expensive during that time, like 30K+ or so. 20K sounds pretty attractive at the time. And by buying the sword I could pass the mace to our pally tank when it first dropped. Also, because I usually go dps if it's a single tank fight, I use it to dps in fury too. So all in all I think it's a nice deal.

I'd say it depends on your situation and guild/raid conditions. 20K+ sounds too much for me now lol

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    He wanted to know if it was a good choice... not if its practical or how oftend it might drop.. you can stop with your comments, they do no good. And everyone else can stop arguing over things that dont matter.
    Squats, I wasn't referring to the OP.

The swords drop like candy and Maloriak is not an incredibly tough fight.

It was a bad comment initially, that you can *expect* to have access to RNG drops as normal courses and then try to play it off as the advice works on average.

It's bad advice.

Maybe it's because I was burned by months of farming NES daily (and sometimes more) with seeing it drop just twice. But it's incredibly frustrating to see people spout that drops can be counted on. They can't. They are RNG.

You can't plan on getting a random drop. Because it might not drop. You know that in 2 weeks time you can buy a ring or cloak for valor points, because they are guaranteed. You cannot know that a random loot item will drop or not. ToC faction champions were available in august 2009. I got my Juggernaut's vitality trinket in the last week of Feb 2010, two weeks before I got the stamina trinket from Sindragosa.

Now, http://www.wowhead.com/spell=94718 IS a reliable source of a weapon. Expensive, but nevertheless reliable because just about every blacksmith on your server will be able to build it for you. And it will be quite a lot cheaper than Soul Blade

Wow this thread blew up while I was at work. Thanks for all the comments. BTW most of my raid exposure will come through pugs. I'm in a leveling guild and as many times as we have tried to start raiding it never materializes.

As far as waiting for something to drop, I have had some bad experiences. No joke I have run heroic Grim Batol no less than 30 times and have never gotten throngus's finger to drop. A guildy needed a normal, I ran him and the non heroic version dropped.

As far as the 20k+ price tag goes, I look at it as its costing me 5k in mats and 8 chaos orbs. Because that is about what I need to craft a few items to make the money for it. I'm just debating whether it is a significant upgrade for me. The mace you guys where discribing from Maloriak, tbh if things go as they usually do for me its going to be awhile before I even get there.

I'm not the best tank in the world, I would say I'm an average tank at best, but I enjoy it. I find in my case it helps me to outgear the content I'm in by a bit. Thanks again.

We've got Maloriak on farm in normal, and it's dropped 2 of the 12 times we've been there. It will drop 20 times after I finally get it, I.E. Deathbringers Will .....

Stick with the 346. I've still got my Smite's Reaver and see no need for spending the cash for an upgrade that not huge to he honest.

Until you start to see Hard Mode content, don't sweat the 346 weapon. Save the gold and get the chest made ( and we can talk about skinning/leatherworking later on ????? )

i have it. its nice. but, it is not really a huge upgrade over the 346 tanking weps you can get in terms of mitigation stats.

i would spend the 20k on other items first like the crafteds, or valor boots etc.

+ Reply to Thread