+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Heroic Magmaw

So we just tried this last night [10 heroic]. We used a bear (myself) and a DK tank, switching off who was on the boss and the constructs. Is this the only way to do it? It seems like the DK tank would have a much easier time gathering constructs, but then again, the armor debuff after you get mangled would necessitate a tank switch anyway, right?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/Silvermoon/Pinkiepģe/advanced

Pinkiepģe of <Orcland Raiders> on Silvermoon-US

We don't do a tank switch, I (paladin) tank the boss, our warrior tanks the adds.

Interesting. Do you have to use CDs such as AD, DP, etc., to survive? That seems like a much better strategy.

We have a Hand of Protection/divine shield for each mangle phase which eliminates the need for healing me for a while (I HoP myself the first one, our holy pala HoPs the second, our retri does the third, mine is ready again for the fourth and final one. This leaves me free to use my personal cooldowns for between mangles (I try to make sure my guardian is ready for the final push from ~15% to zero because the raid is taking a large amount of damage at that point). I use divine protection (20% cooldown) before each mangle to soften the blow as the boss can sometimes slip in an unavoidable melee swing just as you are picked up, which can be 90k damage + a tick of mangle for 60k = 150k damage, DP reduces this potential burst to "just" 120k).

You only actually take about 20-25 seconds of damage between mangles.

Whoah bubble/bop clears the mangle debuff?

no, but it makes you immune to the mangle damage when picked up meaning the healers can stop other people dying.

Quote Originally Posted by beartanker View Post
    So we just tried this last night [10 heroic]. We used a bear (myself) and a DK tank, switching off who was on the boss and the constructs. Is this the only way to do it? It seems like the DK tank would have a much easier time gathering constructs, but then again, the armor debuff after you get mangled would necessitate a tank switch anyway, right?
    There's no reason to switch who gets the constructs. The mangle debuff would be more apt to kill the construct tank than the boss tank if/when you get two constructs...the boss doesn't really hit that hard.

You shouldn't be "gathering" constructs, really...you pick them up when they come out and kill them. Most of your boss DPS will be during head phases...most of the rest of the time you're basically killing constructs...you can put some dps on the boss, but it's not really your priority.

You'll probably have some time when you have two up, but you shouldn't really ever have more than that and you should typically only have one most of the time (until 30%). No tank should have any particular trouble with that (you can really just taunt them and then deal with them when they get to you).

So it is possible for me to start out on Magmaw, enter a mangle phase, get thrown off, and then pick him up again after he is no longer chained? Will the armor debuff have faded by then?

I'd say that 90% of the time, I have two constructs to tank. I just need more practice at it, as I have been playing moonkin most of this tier.

No, you will still have Mangle

The fight goes thus for us:

pull
    @88-89% boss hp the first construct spawns.
    ALL dps kill the construct.
    a new one spawns about 4 seconds after the current one dies.
    if a construct has less than 40% health when the exposed head comes down we kill it before focussing the head. any new contructs are picked up by the tank and held until the head phase ends. Then we quickly kill the lowest hp add before continuing to kill the constructs until the next head phase.
    the boss is at about 32% (we do a damage stop then) when the 4th mangle begins, then we bloodlust when the head comes down and nuke it as hard as we can, it is at about 15% when the head goes back up and nef triggers P3.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    The fight goes thus for us:

pull
    @88-89% boss hp the first construct spawns.
    ALL dps kill the construct.
    a new one spawns about 4 seconds after the current one dies.
    if a construct has less than 40% health when the exposed head comes down we kill it before focussing the head. any new contructs are picked up by the tank and held until the head phase ends. Then we quickly kill the lowest hp add before continuing to kill the constructs until the next head phase.
    the boss is at about 32% (we do a damage stop then) when the 4th mangle begins, then we bloodlust when the head comes down and nuke it as hard as we can, it is at about 15% when the head goes back up and nef triggers P3.
    Yeah...exactly that. That's basically the most succinct and accurate summary of the fight possible...well played sir.

A few more details: You should have a couple ranged out (dealing with Parasites and getting the Constructs spawning on them...so they don't spawn on the raid...which is bad) and everyone else stacking on melee (for easy heals and to stay away from the Parasites). You should have the tank stay in melee until he has to pick up a Construct, then head back in and dps it there.

When it comes to tanking I'm not completely certain on the best scenario but it is definitely doable for a tank to solo tank magmaw.

Here's a few tips I've heard:

1. Use Guardian/Battle Elixirs instead of Stamina Flasks. Mitigation is amazing in heroic fights, much more effective than stamina given that you're above the survival soft cap.

Options:
    Elixir of Deep Earth - 900 armor
    Prismatic Elixir - 90 resistance
    Elixir of the Master - 225 mastery
    Elixir of the Cobra - 225 crit

There are more options, but those are the most effective IMO. Your magmaw tank should probably be using armor + mastery, he should also have decent resistance cooldowns. A Blood DK is great for this. Use BOPs, Armor Pots, Raid Cooldowns such as Spirit Link and more to keep your tank alive during mangle. The Add Tank (Both Kiter and Non) should use Prismatic + Mastery or Crit. You could have your dps kiter keep a flask on but in my experience, 8-10% less dmg from magical damage is much better than a bit more damage on adds you're kiting.

A few last pointers I picked up on our kill:

If you're an SV Hunter kiting, remind the entire raid that your ice + snake traps root. That means that even if you have aggro on them, they will attack others when rooted. This can be avoided by anyone in the raid simply moving a few feet away whenever you root them.

Instruct your dps that is outside w/ the heals + kiter that he/she needs to keep to the same area for the most part. This will simplify the spawning of meteors + the fire they bring. If they move around too much outside of when pillars/meteors spawn, it will make your kiters job much harder.

It is absolutely amazing to have a holy priest healing on the outside. I had a disc priest, but having access to Body + Soul whenever shielded is an amazing boost to kiting. Lifegrip can be useful as well, but due to the long cooldown, you'll need to save it for the best/worst case scenario.

All players on the outside need to be aware that the tank may need a second or two to pick up the add. Give that, a hunter can solve this issue entirely, a good rogue can as well. You could also have a dps w/ an aggro drop who is stationed on the inside grab aggro on the add immediately when it spawns and then drop aggro once it gets to the add tank (the dps on the inside will be w/in a few feet of the add tank therefore it will enable the tank to simply hit the add as it walks by to gib the dps)

There is an alternate strategy which doesnt involve kiting. Instead you need atleast 3 amazing aoe ranged classes and one with a knockback. Simply move 10-15 yards away from the pillar when it spawns and use roots, knockbacks + slows to delay their progress to you while the three aoe dps annihilate them. (10m, 25 will require 7-9 aoe classes)
    Last edited by Dagray; 05-07-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kameelyan View Post
    We're working on this in 10m and we use 3 at range (the add tank, a resto druid, and a dk kiter). That said, how are people avoiding Magmaw melee'ing random targets? It really is driving us nuts.

We had a 14% attempt, but couldn't get back to that afterwards due to him randomly melee'ing a dps right after an exposed head.
    This is typically happenning when the MT does not move back in time in melee range. Mangled tanks goes nuking the Exposed Head as well, than when Magmaw head is up again the priority target as per threat is not in melee range so he picks the 2nd highest threat person.

Try to instruct your tank to move back to tanking position earlier, shortly before the headbanging ends should solve your issue.

Have the tank in position 2-3 seconds before the head comes back up. DBM has a timer for it. Also when Magmaw becomes targetable again, the tank must taunt immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Neopite View Post
    This is typically happenning when the MT does not move back in time in melee range. Mangled tanks goes nuking the Exposed Head as well, than when Magmaw head is up again the priority target as per threat is not in melee range so he picks the 2nd highest threat person.

Try to instruct your tank to move back to tanking position earlier, shortly before the headbanging ends should solve your issue.
    It also helps immensely to taunt Magmaw (not the Exposed Head, wait for Magmaw proper to actually become targetable again) immediately after the Exposed Head phase has ended. This eliminates the chance that his attention will wander over to another melee target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    It also helps immensely to taunt Magmaw (not the Exposed Head, wait for Magmaw proper to actually become targetable again) immediately after the Exposed Head phase has ended. This eliminates the chance that his attention will wander over to another melee target.
    It's not really a chance, you won't have aggro on him unless you taunt, and he will melee someone else that has threat higher than you (which is everyone) that is in melee range.

Being mangled and jumping up to chain Magmaw resets those players' threat levels.

Spam this macro when the head phase ends and you will immediately taunt Magmaw when he is attackable again

Code:
    /targetexact Magmaw
    /cast Taunt (or whatever your taunt is called)

Quote Originally Posted by Giliandrix View Post
    It's not really a chance, you won't have aggro on him unless you taunt, and he will melee someone else that has threat higher than you (which is everyone) that is in melee range.
    Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giliandrix View Post
    Have the tank in position 2-3 seconds before the head comes back up. DBM has a timer for it. Also when Magmaw becomes targetable again, the tank must taunt immediately.
    This is a very common misconception. The exposed head phase is not a threat reset, only being picked up is. The best way to handle it much more efficiently and never risk anyone being meleed after it comes back up and that is by having one tank eat every mangle.

I the MT pull and tank it until the first mangle. 10 seconds before the first mangle the offtank taunts takes the mangle. My threat from before will carry over. So when the exposed head phase ends tank 2 has the debuff and I as the MT still have the most threat on the boss.

So really, it is much much much better to taunt BEFORE the head even goes down not after.

Just had a question about this encounter. It seems like our MT is taking hits from anywhere between 130-175k at what would seem like random times. The damage is not mitigated at all either. When I looked through our Logs from the raid, as well as some logs from other guilds, it seems like the big hits are coming right after a Lava Spew. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the case, and if so, is the best way to deal with the damage to be ready with big heals on the MT after a Lava Spew or try to do some kind of CD rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Hempz View Post
    Just had a question about this encounter. It seems like our MT is taking hits from anywhere between 130-175k at what would seem like random times. The damage is not mitigated at all either. When I looked through our Logs from the raid, as well as some logs from other guilds, it seems like the big hits are coming right after a Lava Spew. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the case, and if so, is the best way to deal with the damage to be ready with big heals on the MT after a Lava Spew or try to do some kind of CD rotation?
    Most likely lava spew has nothing to do with it.

When he picks the tank up, he puts a debuff on them called mangled. Lasts 2 minutes? I think and increases damage taken by 50%

+ Reply to Thread