+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is leveling enineering and/or jewelcraft worth it??

Is leveling enineering and/or jewelcraft worth it??

Is leveling enineering and/or jewelcraft worth it??

..engineering for the head gears and jewelcrafting JC-Gems only.

worth it? depends what you mean. you wont make any money as an engineer. on the contrary, its a huge money sink. im sitting on 10 orbs now, and can do nothing about them. but, its great from a utility perspective. i personally wouldnt give it up.

from a pure min/max perspective, some would take bs/js over eng (the goggles are only a transient advantage, once we are past this tier of gear, they will be obsolete).

i ment gears/gems wise, money i can always farm raw matrials and sell it for good money or dailys.

It is worth having 2 professions which give you a useful perk. BS+JC is often touted as the min/max best because you get the flexibility of gems (so you can choose to use your perk for mastery or stamina or strength etc). Alchemy is actually pretty good for the same reason, although slightly more limited in which stat you can perk it will let you buff resistance as well. Leatherworking is also well regarded because it lets you put a primary stat on your bracers (although this became a smaller benefit when they added new bracer enchants, and not necessarily an ideal tank profession). Enchanting ring enchants are OK but not very flexible (wtb enchant ring mastery plx!). Engineering is decent but perhaps a little quirky (which you might like or not).

Professions to beware of: mining (just stamina), herbalism (strange haste/heal), skinning (crit)

Engineering the most "fun" profession and it has some good perks (and some great gadgets, MOLL-E, Jeeves, etc), but I personally like the combination of JC and Enchanting. I also found these 2 to be the most expensive to level - the last 20 points in JC is a real money grind; same with Enchanting (unless you've horded mats, I leveled Encant on my first toon to 85 so wasn't DE'ing everything - prices early on for some blues were just too good to pass up).

I seem to recally that the benefits of JC/BS are virtually (not exactly) the same as JC/Enchant.

If you are a serious raider you will get slightly more benefits than certain other professions. I agree that engineering is just plain fun, but not profitable. JC can be profitable if you combine it with mining. Just cutting gems for people doesn't make much gold. IF you mine your own ore, prospect it, and sell raw gems you can make some gold that way. Engineering does offer a BIS helm at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I seem to recally that the benefits of JC/BS are virtually (not exactly) the same as JC/Enchant.
    The difference is around customisation. The only ring enchant option for tanks is stamina, but a blacksmith can choose to socket stamina or mastery or parry, whichever stat is flavour of the month or best befitting their current needs. I'm a JC/Enchanter on my warrior and I'm not complaining about it, but I can see why people claim JC/BC has a slight advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    The difference is around customisation. The only ring enchant option for tanks is stamina, but a blacksmith can choose to socket stamina or mastery or parry, whichever stat is flavour of the month or best befitting their current needs. I'm a JC/Enchanter on my warrior and I'm not complaining about it, but I can see why people claim JC/BC has a slight advantage.
    Yeah I agree, that's why I said "virtually (not exactly)." My DK is JC/Enchant; but my Pally tank/heal is Herb/Alchemy, which is a poor combo, but had the other professions covered and didn't want to duplicate. The alch trinkets are very nice, though.

With the coming changes to the engineering enchant it should wind up being "on par" with things like alchemy and enchanting. Until then it's kind of behind.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

When are the changes supposed to take place? As soon as I get a helm that is even close to this one I want to drop Engineering for Ench/JC

What is it you're going to do? Are you tanking or DPSing? What's your access to the T11 helm? Do you only tank, or are you looking to tank/DPS? There's a lot of information that isn't here as to what your desired outcome is.

The other part is this is a point-in time comparision, with every patch drop there's a chance for one profession to leapfrog another (such as if Alch doesn't get new trinkets allowing all tanks to have equal/better through content progression).

I'm a proponent of JC and BS > enchanting for tanking because you can't enchant mastery onto the rings - but other than that, it's kinda a wash. I just like JC/BS because of the flexability it provides for both my tank spec and DPS set.

Is having encahnting instead of BS/JC going to cause fail? Nope. Is it worth replacing enchanting with JC - probably not unless you're also looking at it from an income perspective too.

I think the common theme here, that if you're just doing it to min-max, it's going to be the least cost-effective min/maxing you can do is probably your answer. If you're just swimming in gold, I'd suggest Alch/(JC/BS) for tanking. If you're not, just repeating what's said before, it's marginal changes.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Contravene View Post
    When are the changes supposed to take place? As soon as I get a helm that is even close to this one I want to drop Engineering for Ench/JC
    4.1 I believe?
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

So many other things to work on besides dropping engineering anyway but it is a real shame that I pass on 90% of the orbs and still have 2 I can't use.

Soap Box: But what sucks is if I pug and I get a bad healer I am losing all those original guys I pugged typically all will drop after 2 wipes.. Then I pug the ones that drop until I get a good healer then we stomp through it.. Sometimes like night before last I get all the way to last boss and picked up a good healer finally.. Someone else rolled and got the damn orb, which I don't need it but I wanted it after that much work damn it. And lately my guildies aren't coming with so I pug

I would rate engineering really strong atm.

1. The glove enchant is comparable with the stats that jc offers.
    2. The helm is really strong and very customizable.
    3. The belt enchants are awesome (if they dont fail...). I.E. Atramedes Heroic kiting with nitro boots.
    4. The grenades also have some uses. I.E. Ranged AOE Aggro! Frost grenades or ranged interrupt.
    5. Every raid will love you for jeeves and moll-e

Yes you might get 5 statpoints less and you wont make much money. But IMO the options that engineers offers are awesome and even worth taking for hardcore raiding

Provided guild has 10% discount perk which i don't believe any guild has yet. It's lvl 20+ perk.
    Otherwise Jeeves is a VERY expensive repair and has few uses. Not a big problem to HS out, repair and get summoned back.
    20ish perk about summoning will make that even more easy.
    MOLL-E is useful yes. Postage price is the same as throughout the game.

I wish they would make Jeeves give discounts based on guild rep...

Epic engineer helm engineer can make is superb. With right cogwheels it is on par with T11 helm.
    And very customizable. But is is quite expensive to level it Engineering to max.

Belt enchants are superb - both nitro boots and force field.

I usually keep a bunch of Scrap Bots on me and save Jeeves for when I need to bank access. If it's just a repair you need Jeeves is kind of a waste.

I wish the Eng got to keep the repair fees paid.

It would be nice - but repairs are a designed gold sink. So maybe they might institute a 10% fee or something like that, but I can't see them doing anything more than that. They want outflows of gold.

And as this has become a discussion of repair costs - I think it proves the point - leveling just for raiding, not a huge benfit. Nice, but very expensive for a very small return.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I have JC on two chars, and it's worth it to me, especially if you have a mining character.

Don't forget the free ports! The cooldown is huge, and you're the only one who can use it (and you have to specialize for the OL ports), but there have been a number of times now I've ported directly to a northrend zone to help out a guildie leveling an alt, or gone to farm out some argent tournament marks for more heirlooms, or gone to farm saronite for more repair bots, or gone to storm peaks to check if the Time Lost Drake is up (no luck yet).

And yes, everyone does love me for the repair bots. It's a huge time saver in raids (the whole hearth, lock summon, summon etc thing still kills time when instead you can drop a bot down while people are getting their food buff and not worry about that nonsense) If you're wiping repeatedly on a boss "hey guys my boots just turned yellow can you put a stone up?" can still be a momentum killer.

Glove armor enchants being on use was a little disapointing but I macroed it into shield block, so big whoop. Also the helm is almost outdated now, but it was a huge boost to gear when everyone was trying to get rid of greens, and it looks good (I cannot say the same for a lot of the cata art, I actually turn my helm off so I don't have to look at the stupid pvp helm warriors are stuck with). The shield has saved me a number of times from dying long enough to receive an extra heal or kill the last mob in a pull. It doesn't seem like a whole lot of absorb, but it looks like shield wall mitigation takes place before the shield absorb so if you're low on health and still have a few seconds on your shield wall it can buy quite a lot of breathing room for your healers. Like last stand+enraged regen, one cooldown makes the other one much more effective.

My only major complaints about engineering are none of my stuff works in arena when other people get most of their profession-specific stuff to work and the only people in guild who are interested at all in my orbs are people with hunter alts and extra gold to spend.

If you're just interested in engineering for the stat boosts, go somewhere else. The reason I haven't dropped engineering for a profession that would make money at this point is the extra in-game utility I have.

If you want to make money out of engineering, get the non-combat pet recipes. They sell for 5-10x the cost of the materials because people can't be bothered going out to farm orbs of water or truesilver.

JC is probably my favourite profession - it is so customisable. My tank set has 2x67 mastery and 1x101 stamina, my ret set has strength bonusses and my holy set the intellect gems. If they bring out a new engineering helmet per new raid tier that would be good, otherwise it's bonuses when considered on their own will fall behind the other professions - who would care about an ilvl 359 helmet when you can loot a level 400 one?

Engineering is a fun profession, you get helicopters, exploding sheep, the looterang for when a boss bugs out and dies out of reach, haste/armor tinkers, the total package is fun, but you will probably get more stats out of a different profession.

+ Reply to Thread