+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hit Cap 100% necessary in raids?

Hit Cap 100% necessary in raids?

Forgive me if this is already in this forum somewhere but I can't find it try as i might.

I know the rule is that a person should be hit capped for raids above all, on a warlock there is no talent to help with this and I've noticed that some locks in my guild are running under hit cap and their damage does not seem to suffer (the best warlock we have pulls 19-21k regularly). Edit -Should note they are slightly undercap including raid buffs.

I'm in heroic/crafted gear and can get hit capped but I sacrifice a lot to be hit capped for raids. Is anyone else finding that being a little under isn't hurting them as much as some people claim it does?
    Last edited by cutelowbie; 03-19-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    Nice girls don't. But I do.

depends on if they are getting capped with raid buffs or not.

sure, if you get lucky it wont be a bad thing.. But just wait for that 1% to bite you in the ass and cause you to go on a miss streak.

While only casting shadow bolts missing one spell out of 100 isn't that bad.. but if you miss any key ability it really hurts a lot.

Best example for this was Brutallus in tbc, missing one of your shadow bolts only decreased your dps - but missing the soul shatter and you had to stop damaging for quite some time literally wiping your raid on the progression phase due to not being able to do do your job.

If you can't reach the cap without some strange gear setups stay below it for quite some time but work on getting to it on the long run.

The reason for this is because point-per-point, intellect is ALWAYS better than hit in pure dps. If you got a change to get more intellect, do it, because it's always going to be worth more. Hit is however the best stat of all the secondaries.

Quote Originally Posted by krilz View Post
    The reason for this is because point-per-point, intellect is ALWAYS better than hit in pure dps. If you got a change to get more intellect, do it, because it's always going to be worth more. Hit is however the best stat of all the secondaries.
    I dont see how this relates to what hes asking at all... Your comparing a main stat to a secondary stat..
    -Int is on every pice of caster gear
    -you cant reforge into or out of int.

The only thing i can see you comparing would be gemming.. and hit is blue, int is red. So choosing between the two should never be an issue.

also, reaching the spell cap is always going to be best. if you cast (just for an example) 10 shadow bolts and miss 2 of them because your under hit cap. the damage you gain from the secondary stats you are gaining by being under hit will not make up the damage loss unless you are very lucky with crit streaks

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    I dont see how this relates to what hes asking at all... Your comparing a main stat to a secondary stat..
    -Int is on every pice of caster gear
    -you cant reforge into or out of int.

The only thing i can see you comparing would be gemming.. and hit is blue, int is red. So choosing between the two should never be an issue.

also, reaching the spell cap is always going to be best. if you cast (just for an example) 10 shadow bolts and miss 2 of them because your under hit cap. the damage you gain from the secondary stats you are gaining by being under hit will not make up the damage loss unless you are very lucky with crit streaks
    That's not entirely true. For example, hit can be gemmed in red slots (int/hit) and pure hit can be gemmed in blue slots, but as a caster, you'd rather gem pure int and int/hit in red/blue respectively, even if you're under the hit cap because intellect, as I stated, is a better stat overall. There's also enchants to some degree in certain slots where you can choose between intellect and hit. Again, even if you're under the hitcap, you want to get the intellect-enchants, because it gives more bang for the buck, so to speak. The reasoning for this is because of the new combat ratings. More hit rating is necessary in order to reach the cap but intellect is way better than it used to be because not only does it gives you spell power, but also mana and crit, making it the stat overall.

My point is: If you're below the cap, then choosing between an item piece of intellect and, for example, haste is not better than an int/hit-piece if the intellect is the same. However, if the choice is between an int/hit one and a int/whatever and the intellect is better on the second one (like a heroic piece) than you probably want to go for the latter.

gear for int, gem for int, reforge for hit>haste>crit>mastery

the importance of being hit capped is debatable, but as an aff lock, its a right bugger when Haunt misses, 4 seconds of pf not having a 23% dot damage is horrific, especially if it coincides with a BoD or drain soul tick. no amount of reactions will let you reshuffle your rotation to minimise the DPS loss of a missed haunt, if a corruption misses, you simply recast it and all you've lost is a GCD, though i can immagine having to chain hard cast Sould Fire would be annoying.

+ Reply to Thread