+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Parry-Haste?

Parry-Haste?

I remember back in the day when this was around and was quite the incentive for tanks to get expertise (other than threat). Does it still exist in cata? i hear it wasnt really relevant in the ICC days.

they disabled it for some/most wotlk bosses but when cata was released they did away with it. it might come back sometime down the road but for current content it is not enabled...
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

There was a Website listing all the bosses with parry haste enabled..I think somethinglike 70% of the bosses from Naxx> ICC were disabled

GC stated in his most recent blog post very definitely that parry-haste is no longer a mechanic.

Yeah, no more parry haste. Now they just tune the mechanics such that you need threat to allow the DPS to max out in order to beat the enrage.... but that is HM only.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

At least in 4.0.3 players could still get parry haste according to this post on maintankadin. melee swing time normal about 2.4 seconds, after a parry it goes down to 1.4-1.6.

I'll trust GC over maintankadin, but that's just me; seems players always seem to think GC or Blizz is lying. If they say the mechanic is gone, it's gone.

In any event the way the log reads it appears that the player is parrying Alagroth; I thought the old parry-haste was that when the boss parries, he then follows with a quicker hit.

" Once upon a time, having a boss parry your attacks could speed up its swing timer, which turned Expertise into a (often weak) survival stat. Boss parries felt very random though, both in the sense that sometimes the tank would suddenly take much more damage than anticipated and there was no easy way to know which bosses had parry speed up. (Today, you can assume none of them do)." - Ghostcrawler

that means that the swing time decrease for bosses when THEY parry a PLAYER'S attack was removed. It does not say that a player parrying a boss' melee swing no longer gets a decreased swing time.

That log has a player's swing timer being decreased from about 2.4 to 1.4 when they parried the boss' melee swing. Which is the 40% reduction you would expect from a parry-hasted swing.

Okay, I see what you're saying, but wouldn't that just go to threat, not increased damage?

In fairness to GC, he only said it was removed from the bosses side, so I don't get what the post on Maintankadin was getting at.

that post on maintankadin was merely proving that parry haste definitely still exists for players, even if it has been deactivated for NPCs.

Okay

But there was a blue when they redesigned parry, that parry haste was removed for players. First they decided to reduce the dmg for 50% for two swings and after that they decided that it should act the same as dodge does. I don't have the time to search for it, but I'm quite sure that one part of the change they mentioned was that parry haste was gone for players. (What they did not confirm up until the recent post of GC was, that parry haste was also gone for mobs.)

They reverted the change to parry, I suspect they just put it back to the original form which would include parry haste for players.

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    They reverted the change to parry, I suspect they just put it back to the original form which would include parry haste for players.
    But at as it has the same rate of DR as Dodge, would that not favor Parry more? That would be slightly unfair to Druids, wouldn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Currently it does favor parry more as warriors.... but that is a different discussion. Currently I think Druids still do need some buffage to be 'up to par' with the shield tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    That would be slightly unfair to Druids, wouldn't it?
    Good. Unfair to Druids is good - it's payback for all the nodes they've stolen from me cause they don't have to leave flight form.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone
    I'll trust GC over maintankadin, but that's just me; seems players always seem to think GC or Blizz is lying. If they say the mechanic is gone, it's gone.
    Ugh. You know, not everyone likes to pull words words out of his/her own arse. We've fucking tested it.

As for the "reduce the dmg for 50% for two swings" implementation, we haven't spotted a single instance of it since we've started tracking the beta (July '10 onwards). Most probably, they've toyed with it for a few alpha builds.

Quote Originally Posted by tlitp View Post
    Ugh. You know, not everyone likes to pull words words out of his/her own arse. We've fucking tested it.

As for the "reduce the dmg for 50% for two swings" implementation, we haven't spotted a single instance of it since we've started tracking the beta (July '10 onwards). Most probably, they've toyed with it for a few alpha builds.
    What do you think you're on the WoW forums? First, try using a civil tone.

Second read what GC wrote, they took it from the BOSSES, player was never mentioned.

"Once upon a time, having a boss parry your attacks could speed up its swing timer, which turned Expertise into a (often weak) survival stat. Boss parries felt very random though, both in the sense that sometimes the tank would suddenly take much more damage than anticipated and there was no easy way to know which bosses had parry speed up. (Today, you can assume none of them do)."

Your test kind of proves a point Blizz never made.

However is does prove that parry haste still is a mechanic that is a. in the game and b. in use. Referring to Ion's post earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    However is does prove that parry haste still is a mechanic that is a. in the game and b. in use. Referring to Ion's post earlier in the thread.
    I know, but Blizz never said it wasn't; that's the only point. They specifically said it no longer applied to Bosses; so I'm kind of at a loss as to why anything needed to be proven. Unless people just choose to assume that Bosses meant everything; which means they just didn't read the or understand the GC post.

+ Reply to Thread