+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help with prot warrior pvp!

Need help with prot warrior pvp!

I recently started with pvp on my warrior, i've always played tank. I started to play Arms, since that's what everyone reccomended me to do, but i sucked at it. One day in a arena i forgot to respec, so i had my prot spec on (tanking). So i put on some pvp items and kept my weapon and shield. It went really well actually. So i decided to start playing prot pvp. But since i haven't played any pvp at all in my entire life i'm a bit short on pvp experience. So i'm wondering if there's anyone who can help me. You know, how to play as prot pvp and perhaps say some useful macros and addons. Maybe even a good UI. I would appreciate some replies

Thanks in advance!

Quick version since Im getting up early tomorrow.

Gear for dps, hit expertise caps are nice, and as much str and crit you can muster. I would not recommend gearing for any defensive stats or gemming/enchanting for resilience. With normal pvp gear and the base line talents from prot, you wont need them. Play in battle stance only jumping to defensive or berserking when you need to use an ability exclusive to those stances.

Your goal as prot is to help control the fight....not kill stuff. In other words it is more important to interupt casts, lock down players, and protect your team mates. Unless you are primarily doing 2s arena. If that is the case reroll arms or fury because the lack of prot damage will really slow you down in the 2s bracket. Use your vigilance, properly applied your vengence should be climbing the entire fight. WHen you get up to 20k+ attack power those shield slam crits get to be a lot of fun.

A couple of useful macros, which you should be able to lookup or figure out how to write them:

macro hamstring to charge/intercept
    any ability that you need to switch stances for needs a macro ie. shield wall, recklessness, disarm, taunt (for pets), and intervene.

This is just stuff off the top of my head so im sure ive forgotten a lot of useful information. If you come up with some more specific questions ask away and I will do my best to answer them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnx View Post
    If you come up with some more specific questions ask away and I will do my best to answer them.
    Just wondering, what is my main spell rotation/spell priority? I'm not really sure

There isnt really a spell rotation for PVP, because it will be too situational. When you are putting damage out for pressure, you will use shield slam, devastate and heroic strike/cleave. Keep rend up and make sure people are always debuffed, as in thunderclap and demo shout. If you are running with a melee partner, then whichever enemy he/she is attempting to kill should be sundered to 3 stacks.

If you are locking a caster/healer out, then your rotation will be much different. Pummel/Shield bash (until 4.1) all of your stuns, etc. Your goal when locking out someone will be interupting the crucial heals or damage that toon is supplying. For instance say you are running 3s with a dps and a healer, and the enemy team has 2 dps and a healer (most common setup). If your dps team mate is trying to kill one of the enemy dps, when he pushes that person down to 30% you need to be locking out the healer. This will give the window for your team mate to finish off his target. If however your healer is being killed, then you can stun/control one of the enemy dps.

Basically the most important aspect of Prot PVP is learning when to use what ability. Just because Shockwave is off CD doesnt mean its time to press it.

Thank you so much for your advices!
    But was it a bad move to play prot pvp instead of arms or fury?

Need help with prot warrior pvp!

No, just a different way of playing and contributing. It depends on how you like to pvp.
    Need more rage. I can't do that yet. That spell's not ready. Not enough rage.
    Mäcintosh/US/Aggramar/Bloody Rage

Nothing wrong with Prot at all, if its what you enjoy then there are definitely situations where it is very helpful.

5v5 prot warrior is amazing. 3v3 gets complicated. 2v2... you might win if you have like a half hour to play.

+ Reply to Thread