+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retribution off-spec

Retribution off-spec

So I've been gearing up my retribution spec (Since I'm gonna be off-tank in my guilds second raid group and the main tank decided that he wanted 2 prot specs). And I'm not really sure If I'm doing it completely right.

I've looked into some guide's on rotation's (Or priority) / Stats / Specs. This seems to be working for me but I don't know If I'm doing something wrong but on the H Target dummy I can only get around 11k dps over a 5 min fight (Self buffed and no debuffs from others on the target).

When I look into recount I see that 16 % of my normal meelee attacks are "Glancing" and was wondering if there is anyway to avoid this? Since I'm hit capped (Well, 7,98 % and 26 expertise).

Would love some advice.

Link to armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lowings/simple

Priority:
    Inquisition > Hammer of Wrath > Templarís Verdict > Crusader Strike > Exorcism > X

Only using Inquisition / Templarís Verdict when at 3 Holy Power or when Divine purpose procs and Exorcism when having a Art of War proc
    EU | Genjuros | Buffalowings
    -| Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. |-

I am exactly where you are doing the exact same project as I am off tank/dps. I am at 12K sustained at Raiding practice dummy but people say I should be seeing 15-17K. I have still been studying the rotation and learning the priorities using a lot of posts on the subject as well as the Ret Paladin common questions on MMO champions. Also I am holding off on this Addon I am fairly sure will take me from 12K to 17K at the dummy until I learn my rotation by hand which for means also running some dungeons as ret. That addon I am holding off on is CLCret

I've been doing some HC dungeons as retribution and I don't even come close to what my fellow guildies can do. Running an entire dungeon (Stonecore) with an average of 10.534 dps while the others (Fire Mage / Affl Lock) have an average of 12.748 dps and 13.958.

Also, When doing AOE fights I don't seem to increase that much in dps. I know that when playing in tank spec my AOE dps goes up till about 15k on the larger packs while as retribution I seem to be stuck around 13k.

That addon I am holding off on is CLCret
    I Will check It out as soon as I get home. Although I don't have that much issues with my rotation. I always use the Inquisition > Hammer of Wrath > Templar’s Verdict > Crusader Strike > Exorcism > X

The only Issue I have is when Inquistion is about to end (4/5 seconds) sitting on 0 HoPo and getting a lucky proc. Since using that proc to do Templar's Verdict is a direct damage increase this will mean having a little bit of downtime on Inquistio.
    -| Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. |-

CLCret helped me figure some things out for example it never refreshes Inq until it drops completely off. Also I wasn't using Exorcism enough and I realize now you cast it if you have the mana and follow with Judgement then just wait til Judgment tics mana high enough and you can do it again. It also helped me to realize you never fire anything except Crusader strike if it is open and are not full on HoPo because HoPo generation is priority 1.. These changes and another addon called SnowFalllKeyPress has me bursting into 14K..

I have some ideas about casting wings after you have Inq already up and 3 HoPo for Zealatory I am playing with now.. I think the rest is burst into DPS.
    Last edited by Contravene; 03-17-2011 at 08:10 AM.

I was bursting up to 17K for a second this morning then I thought let me try reseting recount and try again but now I can't get it past 13K again. So I sent a message to a high achieving Paladin and he told me that is nonsense no one is yanking 17K at the training dummy in 346 gear.

OP I am going to PM you a thread that I started on this subject on another forum.. Last post this morning another Paladin is saying same thing.. Not in 346 blues they aren't yanking 17K without raid buffs that is nonsense.. We can go back to tanking my fellow tankAdin our characters are optimal. CLCret gets deleted

So I did things the other way around. I started playing a Ret Pally, then once I hit 85 I decided to try off-spec'ing prot...

CLCret is a great addon to use as reference. I use it mostly to let me know when inq needs to be hit and when crusader strike is off cd. The rotation you guys are using is correct, personally I don't "save" avenging wrath or zealotry. I use them liberaly once I know the tank has a sizable threat lead. I can't remember the last time I used training dummies but in typical trash fights I do 15-17k dps, and in boss battles between 16-20k dps. If things proc in my favor I've done as much as 22k DPS (raid buffed).

Typically I do poorly in AOE fights and in fights where the tank is kiting or a target is moving too much. By poorly I mean under 10k dps.

DPS isn't everything though. I've been surprised at how many people don't realize the amount of utility you have a a ret pally. You can CC, interupt and heal. You can stun targets, taunt enemies off your healer and/or casters... It's a very fun class that offers tons of utility.

Quote Originally Posted by javsaddiction View Post
    DPS isn't everything though. I've been surprised at how many people don't realize the amount of utility you have a a ret pally. You can CC, interupt and heal. You can stun targets, taunt enemies off your healer and/or casters... It's a very fun class that offers tons of utility.
    Yes, I've seen it plenty of times in HC's. Retribution paladin doing around 11-12k dps and just too stubborn too heal and then blaming the healer he died.

Or one time on Asaad in vortex pinnacle. He chained a Retribution paladin to the ground and he was actually stupid enough not to use hand of freedom to get out.

There is plenty of examples but simply because dps is about topping the meters casting a heal instead of increasing you damage isn't acceptable for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Contravene View Post
    I was bursting up to 17K for a second this morning then I thought let me try reseting recount and try again but now I can't get it past 13K again. So I sent a message to a high achieving Paladin and he told me that is nonsense no one is yanking 17K at the training dummy in 346 gear.

OP I am going to PM you a thread that I started on this subject on another forum.. Last post this morning another Paladin is saying same thing.. Not in 346 blues they aren't yanking 17K without raid buffs that is nonsense.. We can go back to tanking my fellow tankAdin our characters are optimal. CLCret gets deleted
    That pally must have no clue what he is talking about. i was pushing 21k burst on a dummy self buffed. Thats just using wings. If everything goes well i can burst almost 23k thats using wings/zealotry/GoAK.

This might help alittle http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hoopass/simple

Im sixth on my server ally side and overall 16th. If u neeed help with anything just pm me on here. Ill do my best 2 help

I had forgot I said you can't do 15K to 17K I was frustrated during that time and I was absolutely wrong. I am easily achieving these numbers now and it was with a big thanks to you guys who helped me. I have been running roics in Ret spec and also PVP both of which have helped me tremendously to improve.

+ Reply to Thread