+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best tank for cata

Best tank for cata

So i started a warrior and i got to lvl 70 then heard they arnt any good for tanking in cata.
    I want to tank, so there inlays the problem. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best tank for catac. I hope i dont need to start over but we will see, and i know this is an open ended question with a lot of different opinions but when i start to raid i want to know my warrior is going to be the tank needed. As i dont have a guild rite now and know when i join one they will already have a tank. but im willing to fight my way to the top. Anyway, fire away.

Class comparisons are worthless. Play what you want to play. Every patch and new tier of content changes the balance of classes regardless. Just because your class may not be the flavor of the month does not mean you have to reroll.

Play what you enjoy playing.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

There is no "best tank" anymore in cata. All have pros and cons. And even if one would clearly be the best, now, it would maybe change with the next patch. All tanks are viable. All tanks will be viable. There is a much bigger difference between which tank suits you best and which not. If you can play one tank better than another that's much more important than the actual class. Sure there are encounters where one may be better, but well that's not a problem because all are ok everywhere.

what they said....

Warrior tanks are fine for Cata content. My guild uses a warrior tank in raids, like what was said above different groups may prefer a given tank due to play style. Also what was said above blizzard is still making balance changes and any advantage that one class may have over another can evaporate in an update. Play what you want.

A DK knowing and using their survival arsenal correctly can pull off some insane moves while others might just hit Deathstrike all the time.. even before the recent Blood Shield changes.

All tanks have their advantages and disadvantages, some tanks excell more with the right player behind then other.

I have to go with the 'Play what you want to play' camp...too many people switch characters because 'OMGMAGESIMBAPEWPEWPEW' (replace MAGES with whatever everyone seems to yell.)

Something a lot of people forget is that this is a game...you play it for fun and enjoyment first of all...after that, do what you want to increase that fun. You'll find that people that play and enjoy their class are a heck of a lot better at this than the people that you can spot with the 'Uber Cast sequence macro' or list of rotations that you can see them working through.

Don't be a zombie, play the character and the game will fall into place for you..

That said, my warriors holding his own in instances quite merrily, my pally tanks heroics (sadly with a little ease now...need to raid!) and my DK....well I never really got on with the poor blighter (pun intended) so he's my 'will get back to it one day' character..and druids just seem a little too simple to my mind... All tanks work...get your warrior to 80 and start working at it..you'll have fun I promise*

*Promise is restricted to you having fun with the character, any bad pugs or WrathbabypewpewdpsTM are beyond the management's control. Full terms and conditions available on request.

The general Blizzard principle about class balance in raid environment is the following "Bring the player, not the class".

So there is no protwarrior monopoly for tanking

Your class determination should be based on your playstyle and personal interest and not on "omfg protpaladins are better for tanking in cata then protwarriors, gogo reroll to protpaladin".

All tanks are just fine currently with the implementation of the mastery system (it provides tanks with better scaling from gear and solves some issues of tank comparing).

If you played protwarrior till lvl70 then just continue to 85. If handled properly protwarrior can be in pair with others and in some scenarios even better then others.

There are some fantastically bad warrior tanks, this is why people say they are no good.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    There are some fantastically bad warrior tanks, this is why people say they are no good.
    Seconded! But it doesn't just stop with warriors...

Yeah, I think I got a DK tank a few weeks ago that just swapped from DPS to tank for insta que. He knew the instance but did not bring much tank game with him. There are great tanks and bad tanks of every type, some types can be better at some fights such as a warrior over a pally if the boss can silence..... the warrior don't care if he is silenced while he can not shout it is not a deal breaker, the pally suffers more from silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromblee View Post
    the warrior don't care if he is silenced while he can not shout it is not a deal breaker, the pally suffers more from silence.
    The warrior cares a lot more about silences than for example a DK. It's not only shouts and taunts. It's also TC (and I think shockwave) that cannot be used. Both tanking debuffs cannot applied when silenced and multi mob tanking get's a little bit tricky.

However there are no silencing bosses around at the moment in Cata-content. Actually there is few stuff around where one class excells others imensely at the moment. The differences are much lower than they were in ICC.

Re: Best tank for cata

Quote Originally Posted by MellvarTank View Post
    That there are...

There are also fantastically *good* ones.

In the greater sense, all tanks are roughly equal in their ability to get the job done.

The differences being more in playstyle: I find myself playing at a more calculated and measured pace on my Deathknight, whereas my Warrior (main) works best when run fairly aggressively - this due to how Rage works versus Runes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yup have to agree with all tanks are viable for every encounter.

However, I would like to point out the fact that real men don't need fur, worms, or mana to tank. Just a sword and shield, and some good old fashioned nerdrage!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnx View Post
    Yup have to agree with all tanks are viable for every encounter.

However, I would like to point out the fact that real men don't need fur, worms, or mana to tank. Just a sword and shield, and some good old fashioned nerdrage!
    I don't know. I think I feel a lot safer with a 260 pound hairy (mana using) cow in front of me then a raging gnome.
    EU | Genjuros | Buffalowings
    -| Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. |-

Than I'm happy that I'm a female and may tank with whatever tools I like. Including Rattles (remeber the mace from Ulduar?), soft cushions and cute kitties.

I play a warrior tank.

the only complaint i get is that i'm "boring to heal".

My warrior seems to tank just fine. There are fights the warrior excels at, and fights that other tanks excel at. For instance, I don't think there's a better Maloriak add tank than a warrior, but having a prot paladin on Chimaeron is very nice for the raid wall. All tanks can be used effectively in all the fights, though.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Can this thread be closed by some final insightful statement by a moderator on the usefulness of class comparison? We could just go around all day "here x is better", "there y is better", "but z dominates this".

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what is best if everything is viable. Play what you want to play. Some things will be easier for you. Some things will be more difficult for you.

Difficult <> Impossible
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Depends which one I am currently playing at any given time.. <ducking>

+ Reply to Thread