+ Reply to Thread

Thread: warriors and agility

warriors and agility

i was just wanting to know if agility was good for a prot warrior cos i remeber i was good in wrath as it gave some dodge amour and ap i think
    i was thinking of swapping one of my rings with "signet of the elder council" and reforging the haste off it

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rishp/advanced

mainly thinking of swapping Red Rock Band any suggestions
    Last edited by Grishp; 03-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.

I personnally Havent seen many warrs using agi since TBC....It will probably put u at a loss in term,s of ap..
    Tanking, or dpsing, id stick with Str...

PS: Unlearn EVERYTHING you learned in WotLK...Lol

Paladin only need 300 agi for 1% dodge but we still need 430 so don't bother and stick to Strength. Only exception that comes to my mind: heroic bow of Atramedes..

Strength is much better than agi. However if you cannot get the tanking 5man gun, you can go for an agi one - just because there are no other alternatives there. Blizz did want plate-classes to favore strength over agi. And they have succeded in this regard. Agi is nothing you want to go for.

If threat is not an issue then that ring may be an upgrade. I replaced my ring from therazane with it for tanking and it was a avoidance and mastery upgrade. Sure I lost some str but Meh. I am sure people will argue that I lost ap so my deathstrike will hit softer but with vengeance that doesn't matter. It may.not be better than another 359 ring but it was definately better than my 346 ring. So buy it and test it out.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

For a prot warrior agility is less than useless. Remember that we also get parry from strength, so loosing strength makes you lose parry, and unless the other stats outweight that loss, it is not worth it.

FYI- There is now a tanking weapon dropping from Heroic Vortex Pinnacle, they finally added it to the loot table.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

I know about the weapon. I'm hunting it for quite a long time, but neither this nor the epic BoP want to drop for me. That's why I say, that it's ok to put a 346 weapon into this slot, until one has more luck than me. But that's the only slot where I would use agi, just because the difference to the last strength item is so huge.

warriors and agility

Agi only affects crit now according to mouseover tooltip.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Is it true? Do Prot warriors get no dodge from Agility?

Quote Originally Posted by Icebreaker View Post
    Is it true? Do Prot warriors get no dodge from Agility?
    No. While Agility might not be the go-for-stat for warrior tanks, it is far from useless, and from a defensive perspective, it's even a better stat than Strength.

For 100 Agility, you gain 0.23% dodge and 0.41% crit.
    For 100 Strength, you gain 0.14% parry and 200 AP.

(all before diminishing returns, of course)

With reforged haste, the Signet is a very decent tanking ring if you have no other purple alternative. I'm using it myself, too.

Edit: Just FYI, Agility also used to grant armor up until WotLK, but they removed that in 4.0.1.
    Last edited by Naka; 03-11-2011 at 02:50 AM.

i was gemming agi+stam instead of dodge+stam before 4.0.1; currently agi is approximately useless, so don't go for it until it provides substantial upgraid (f.e. i use atramedes 359 bow, crit->dodge)

if i was you, i would keep the existing rings (or even take the valor points one, it is best choice before heroic raids or being lucky on random ench ring from TFW)

also i recommend you to change your agi+stam gems to parry+stam (in your situation you need to get your parry to 14 or 15%

also reforge as much as you can to mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    For 100 Agility, you gain 0.23% dodge and 0.41% crit.
    For 100 Strength, you gain 0.14% parry and 200 AP.

(all before diminishing returns, of course)
    The conversion-rate between Agi->Dodge and Strength->Parry is the same before diminishing returns. However strength is converted to parry rating and than into % while agi is converted to % directly. The base conversion rate for any strength and agility for stats on gear is the same.

However warriors want to have more parry than dodge, anyway.

The armor component of Agi was the only thing that made it worth getting in wrath. It no longer gives armor, which is why nobody gears for it. Strength > Agility, period. The only reason to take something with agility is if the avoidance stats on it outweigh the loss of the strength + avoid stats on the other one.

For example: The baradin wardens bow was the BiS until you got the gun from trash in Bastion. The mastery/hit was so much better than the ilvl 329 green you had up until that point. These are acceptable tradeoffs. I would sooner take a DPS ring with strength on it than a DPS ring with Agi on it.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Katzazi View Post
    The conversion-rate between Agi->Dodge and Strength->Parry is the same before diminishing returns. However strength is converted to parry rating and than into % while agi is converted to % directly.
    The second sentence is true. The first one is not, for all I know. Where do you have that information from?
    Last edited by Naka; 03-11-2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo

Agility gives about 30% more avoidance per stat point than strength does for warriors, paladins get it even better. If you find you do not need the 400 AP from the blue ring, by all means use the reputation agility ring and reforge the haste to dodge or parry rating.

Bear in mind that if you do this you will not be able to say that your dodge rating should be the same as your parry, rather you will need to increase your parry rating slightly.

Agility is a stronger avoidance stat than Strength. However the parry chance from strength also boosts your hold the line uptime. I personally would not agree with the argument that strength is better because of the AP; what is 400 AP when you are tanking with 26000?

get the ring, it costs about 30g. you will have higher avoidance and HP, possibly more mastery. You will not notice missing the 150 strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzazi View Post
    I can't find anything about the str->parry conversion rate in there, so I assume it is still 4 Strength -> 1 Parry rating. Other than that, the table on EJ confirms the agi/dodge conversion rate of 1 Agility -> 0.002321840% Dodge and a parry conversion rate of 176.71899 rating -> 1% (which then means 1 Strength -> 0.001414675% Parry).

So, Agility provides more Dodge than Strength provides Parry. Period. If you still don't believe it, get your toon naked, look at your dodge&parry, then battleshout.
    Last edited by Naka; 03-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread