+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shattering Throw macro help

Shattering Throw macro help

Hey all. I was hoping for some help in understanding why I can't seem to combine Shattering Throw with another ability in a macro. I have a macro for ranged that looks like this:

/cast Heroic Throw
    /cast [equipped:Thrown] Throw
    /cast Shoot

that basically works perfectly (for me). Uses Heroic Throw as top priority.. if it's on CD and I have something in my ranged slot, it uses that. This is great and I use it pretty often.

Now this one may seem stupid but in the interests of space saving (all my comfortable keybinds are set to existing abilities.. I'm very comfortable with my setup and can't really see where I'd put anything else) I'm trying to combine Shattering Throw with something. It needs to be an ability that is usable in Battle Stance, obviously.. so I was thinking Sunder Armor. Both have a somewhat similar effect as it happens so it'd pretty convenient if I could get it to work. I want to prioritize Shattering Throw, or if it's on cooldown let me spam Sunder Armor.

now I realise due to in-built limitations and experimenting in the past, that this may not be possible. I'm not the most technical minded person, and am not the best with code etc. but I've tried a lot of things starting with simply:

#showtooltip
    /cast Shattering Throw
    /cast Sunder Armor

which just casts Shattering Throw... nothing more. I've tried putting /stopcasting in there. I've tried /castsequences and /castrandoms (which doesn't seem to do much at all) and lots of other things, but nothing works. I was just hoping someone could confirm that this isn't possible. thing is, I don't really see how it differs so much from my Heroic Throw macro I mentioned. I've seen macros set up to use a whole list of different abilities in 1 macro before... so why won't this one work?

Anyone give me a hint? Sorry for the stupidity and cheers in advance

Im not a macro expert but shattering throw is a 2 second cast so as long as it is off cooldown the macro will try to cast that. if it is on cooldown then it should attempt to use sunder armor. if it isnt doing that, then what exactly is it trying to do?

Well that's my understanding of how such a simple macro should work, but instead what I get is it casts Shattering Throw once I hit 25 rage (1.5 sec cast) but then proceeds to give me "That ability is not ready yet" errors.

in other words, rage or no rage.. it's refusing to move on to step #2 i.e. casting Sunder. man this is really doing my head in. cannot for the life of me understand why something this simple will not work! is it to do with the fact that 1 has a cast time and the other is instant?

any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks Magnuss

#showtooltip
    /cast [modifier:shift]Shattering Throw;Sunder Armor

Will cast Shattering Throw if you have Shift pressed when you press the macro, if shift ain't pressed it will caste Sunder instead. This is good enough?

Two problems:

1. In "/cast" macros, ONLY one (or none) of the abilities can be included that trigger the global cooldown. If more than one ability triggers global cooldown, the macro will fail.
    2. A macro cannot "skip" a step if it fails. For example: in your macro it will try to cast Shattering Throw first, but if you don't have enough rage, or it is on cooldown then the macro will fail.

In the past you were able to get the effect you want with "/castrandom" but they changed now that macro works in 3.2

Why your first macro works is a mystery for me. As far as I know Throw and Shoot trigger a global cooldown, so the only way that it should work is if Heroic Throw does not trigger a global cooldown (my Warrior is only 76 so don't have Heroic Throw yet). Either that, or there is a bug with macros and throw/shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Helgi View Post
    Two problems:

1. In "/cast" macros, ONLY one (or none) of the abilities can be included that trigger the global cooldown. If more than one ability triggers global cooldown, the macro will fail.
    2. A macro cannot "skip" a step if it fails. For example: in your macro it will try to cast Shattering Throw first, but if you don't have enough rage, or it is on cooldown then the macro will fail.

In the past you were able to get the effect you want with "/castrandom" but they changed now that macro works in 3.2

Why your first macro works is a mystery for me. As far as I know Throw and Shoot trigger a global cooldown, so the only way that it should work is if Heroic Throw does not trigger a global cooldown (my Warrior is only 76 so don't have Heroic Throw yet). Either that, or there is a bug with macros and throw/shoot.
    Shoot/Throw abilities don't trigger the global cooldown, to the best of my knowledge. That does make sense though, I hadn't given a thought to that, and I hadn't realised they'd altered /castrandom.

Well I guess I'll have to find a keybind from somewhere (thanks @Glittersmith for the macro, but I'm already using Alt+Shift modifiers for several other abilities and anything more than this would require an awkward keybind)... feel like I should be able to fit it in somewhere.

Thanks for the help and education on how macros actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius View Post
    Shoot/Throw abilities don't trigger the global cooldown, to the best of my knowledge.
    I've used a macro similar to that for years, I believe the "Throw" and "shoot" work the same as a single "Swing". It's basically a normal attack with no Auto Attack function for the next swing. A little of topic, but IIRC it resets the swing timer as well.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

afaik, Shattering Throw has a cast time. Thus no activities can be done while the warrior is 'casting' shattering throw. If you have cast bars disabled you might not notice this problem (as there are very few warrior abilities that have cast times so this 'can' happen).

Side-by-sideing a /cast with ST on top will always cause shattering throw to be cast. /castsequence will have same result, the second ability not being cast until ST has completed. Not only that, ST requires battle stance (nonissue unless you are a tank, the combination of stance dancing + disabling avoidance can be very bad.)

*Edit: Now that I read your post more clearly, another issue can arise with the game attempting shattering throw, and possibly initiating a 'cast' to find the ability is on cooldown. Again, as the rare warrior ability that causes them to enter 'cast mode' it will effectively break the macro at that point, regardless of ST being on cooldown or not. Perhaps I am wrong, but maybe an aff lock player can tell me if

/cast haunt
    /cast corruption will cast corr. when haunt is on CD-thus being situationally similar to this scenario.

Speaking as a tank, there are times when I shatter (heart phase of XT etcetera) however my macro involves a stance swap if I'm not in battle then throw. I have a seperate "reset" macro I use after all such abilities to make sure that I'm in Dstance, and have the right sword and board equipped when necessary to tank (very useful in ToC5, or when I'm fooling around with spring flowers etc.)
    Last edited by Conreeaght; 08-17-2009 at 01:21 PM.

here is what works for me perfectly.

#showtooltip Shattering Throw
    /cast Battle Stance
    /cast Berserker Rage
    /cast Shattering Throw
    /cast Defensive Stance

+ Reply to Thread