Thread: Chimearon 25 heroic

Chimearon 25 heroic

Heya guys,

We are having some problems dealing with chimaeron 25hc, we are using 3 tanks, 1 as a MT, 1 taking the double attacks and the other tanking during feud.

Got some questions, do the double attacks tank, taunts the double attacks during feud aswell

And should the feud tank stack up on others aswell during feud, makees it much easier for the tank to be topped off coz so much aoe heals going on

Cheers

During Feud, the Feud tank can just eat the Double Attack. There's actually only one during Feud - the second time Chimaeron gains the buff, he never actually hits the tank but instead casts the final Massacre that ends the Feud.

We have the raid stack up but the Feud tank stand in his normal position, and make it so that rogues etc can still attack Chimaeron from behind during Feud.

The real key to this is not Double Attack at all. It's that Chimaeron hits very hard, and Break makes it worse. That sounds kinda obvious, but I've been hit for over 200k by him during Feud without Break up, and that can make it feel like tanks are dying 'randomly'. The solution we used was for the Feud tank to have a cooldown up for the full duration of Feud. What I tend to do is use Shield Block at the start of Feud which covers the initial hits, then Shield Wall (4pt bonus) as soon as Break goes up for the remaining time. These cooldowns will be back by the next time I need to tank a Feud.

I hope that helps, best of luck.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

I'll share my Chima 25 HC with you.

For tanking its an easy boss, we use: 8 heals, 2 tanks and the rest dps.
    It's advisable to use at least 1 disc priest and 2 pallys, Disc will help A LOT during feuds and second phase. Pallys will heal A LOT in feuds.

Well, start tanking with tank the first tank and, when in feuds, swap tanks. For us, pally tank starts ( better initial aggro than me, a warrior tank). When the double attack occurs ( one time per round) use a small cd. You can use the valiona trinket ( on use: dodge), shield block if you are a warrior, etc... Then, just at the start of feud, the tank without stacks should taunt the boss inmediatly and use a big cd ( shield wall in our case, without glyph, and with the 4 piece tier bonus). When in feud, you will have a double attack. Use shield block there so you have SW + SB in the feud double attack. The last 3 secs of feud will be a little tricky. You won't have shield wall, so make someone use a cd on you ( holy priest cd is enought). Well, then, after feud, tank B continues with the boss until the next feud. With a timeline it would be something like this:

Boss starts--------- Feud -- Normal ---------------Feud--------Normal----------------------------------Feud----- and so on.....
    Tank A ------------ Tank B------------------------Tank A----------------------------------------------Tank B----and so on....

Its VERY important to have SW and SB every 2 feuds.

Then, the trickyest part of the boss is changeing it to phase 2. You should change it with everyone with full HP. The only moments where this is possible are: During a feud, before the firsts green splashes. After the feud, before the green splashes. We do it during the feud. That way disc priest can barrier up the raid, and then go rampage with bubbles.

In phase 2, chima will one shot the first tank. This is because he just have used up al CDs, and you dont have the robot's protection. If you are the second tank, be ready to use ALL cds at the same time. SW+SB+Last stand+On use trinkets. If you resist 15 secs, with those cds up, the boss is done. No need to spread up the raid.

If you have any more questions let me know, hope that helps

Edit: The way we assign our heals is the following. 1 disc and 2 druids/shammys to the boss tank. The rest are assigned into a group of five. Beacons to the boss tank. Swaping them when needed. That way, when the DA occurs, there are 2 beacons + 3 heals healing the tank, and you have more possiblities to survive. Also, the beacons will help A LOT when topping the tank, just after the massacre when entering feud phase. Just make sure to swap the beacons at that moment!
    Last edited by fr33d4n; 03-08-2011 at 03:26 AM.

I guess the strategy somewhat depends on your raid setup. Generally we have a dps as the regular tank, and two tanks swapping in the feud phase. Generally tank A eats the DA for the entire fight, and tank B tanks the boss during the feud. We didn't use one tank during feud because DA already hurts A LOT. For our bear DA hits for 280k if both attacks land on him. He have to use a major CD to survive this. If, say, he already has two stacks of break, he will be hit for 420K and die even with a major CD. Except for warriors, tanks' minor CDs are usually on 1 min timer and you cannot reliably use that because sometimes feuds will occur successively after the massacre.
    And your feud tank needs to be topped off quickly during feud. We use a DK tank (me) to taunt when feud starts. Generally I will save runes for DS when a massacre is about to come. When massacre happens, I will instantly pop VB and cast two DS and RT. This already almost top myself up without any other healing and creating a shield of about 120k strength. During feud, if for some reason I'm not topped, or if two successive feuds happen and my VB is on CD, I will summon a ghoul and sacrifice it or use LB to heal myself to full.

Don't get frustrated, this fight is broken. Double attack happens to be combined into one attack from time to time or you just taunt that late so Chimaeron seems to assume you're affected from Maintank's break stacks while wow determines the damage taken, well..

We use three tanks, one for regular break absorbing and the other ones alternating for every feud phase and absorbing regular DA attacks. Using a dps is absolutley possible, but having a third tank helped us a lot while learning this fight and if something goes wrong.. accepting the challenge and dealing with it. It's also nice for the sub 20% phase having a tank with 30%+ avoidance over those ret paladins with 5% greatly increase their surival chances for one swing or more

MT
    OT1 absorbing DA
    OT1 tanking first Feud entirely (18s shieldwall thanks to 4pc T11)
    OT2 absorbing DA
    OT2 tanking second Feud entirely

Our OT1 happens to be a warrior, 120s shieldwall cd and shield block granting blocks when they are most needed (DA!) are huge! OT2 needs an external CD for his second DA during feud, having more than 5 feuds is unlikely after recent changes/hotfixes. Swapping tanks alltogether is possible, too. Something like:

Tank A maintanking to absorb Breaks
    Tank B absorbing DA & first Feud, maintanking afterwards
    Tank C absorbing DA & second Feud, maintanking afterwards
    Tank A absorbing DA & third Feud, maintanking afterwards

If none happens to be a warrior this guarantees those 50% shieldwalls or equivalents are always up for feuds. If they don't have 4 piece T11 they can also use smaller cooldowns like barskin, divine protection etc to cover the first seconds of feud. Only critical time is after applying break during feud followed from DA and it's two attacks afterwards.

Our guild is having similar issues with tank losses, and the comments in this thread have been helpful.

While we're not consistently getting to P2 by any stretch of the imagination, we are getting there periodically. Even with the raid topped off, everyone up, and our MTs using cooldowns to buy us time, we're still wiping at 1-2%. Looking at our logs, we do appear to lose a lot of the raid to the shadow aura. This suggests to me that perhaps we're under the DPS benchmark. For reference, we have two priests shielding (one trying to get the primary aggro target, and myself shielding blanketing), our pallies are rolling aura masteries, and PWB goes down once off cooldown. We remain stacked to maximize DPS time. Can anyone comment on how long the P2 burn takes for their raid?

EDIT: Our raid comp is 2 real tanks, 1 DPS tank, 7 healers and the rest DPS.
    Last edited by Seneb; 03-08-2011 at 04:48 AM.

You have 90 secs, at most. Shadow aura does like 2k dmg per sec so average raid HP = 120k. 120/2 = 60 secs. Not counting resists, barriers, shields, etc...
    If you use 2 discs things are easyer. Just make 1 disc start from g1, and the other from g5. LK style. Don't bother on shielding targets with aggro. It's useless. Really. Save all the intervates for those discs. Make everybody be stacked in one point. If melee needs to hit from behind make 2 groups. Melee and the rest, and throw them a barrier as well. Save BL and haste pot for this phase. As I said, if the tank can resist at least 10 - 15 secs ( 2 or 3 hits), the boss should fall.
    The most important thing here is having the raid HP topped before phase 2. Make them use HS when the boss is gonna change.
    CibÝ - GM of D N A, EU-C'thun

Quote Originally Posted by Seneb View Post
    EDIT: Our raid comp is 2 real tanks, 1 DPS tank, 7 healers and the rest DPS.
    So what's your rdps? We regulary bring 3 real tanks, 7 healers but happened to have 8 healers and another healer doing subpar dps this id due to lineup issues and ended up scratching the berserk timer with roughly 270k rdps compared to 310k+ on other kills. Roughly 60-80s for the sub 20% phase (remember everybody to bring those +1200 primary stat potions for lust)

Do you battleres during the sub 20% phase? With the glyph they come back with 100% hitpoints, reviving your furys and rets is a big deal. And all dps feign death/invis/mirror images/vanish/soulshatter.. and having the hunterpets using growl?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...?s=9100&e=9561

This is the log of our best attempt that night. I think it's public. RDPS was ~274 k. We try to save the BR for P2, though it doesn't always happen because we're still losing tanks during feud on occasion. We SS our top threat DPS. To the best of my knowledge everyone is aggro dumping like crazy. I'll ask about hunter pet growl. Have you had any luck having a rogue pop evasion to extend the phase? It's something we've been considering.

What's the exact timing for pushing to phase 2? I've seen comments about 22% but I think that was from before the patch that normalised the final phase. Our best attempts have been getting close but we die to attrition before the boss does. We've also stuffed up attempts where massacre/feud didn't fall in nicely with our approach to 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    What's the exact timing for pushing to phase 2?
    When your entire raid is topped, simply as that. He transitions on 20% lately after a hotfix.

@Seneb
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/v...?s=9460&e=9501
    Both Shadows, the warlock and the retpaladin didn't use a potion right there for heroism.

But beyond that, you all survived the regular "enrage" time of 1 minute+ with only a few death in before until the aura kills you . So you were topped and just didn't have enough dps to seal the deal this time, just come back and give it another try
    Last edited by klausi; 03-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.

I got the feeling it was more complex than that? i.e. to realistically top the whole raid, you need to collapse in and use AOE heals - which either means waiting for a massacre (which risks being a feud) or collapsing right after a hit of caustic slime? This is what we've tried to do a few times but it seems like we are "doin it wrong"

Later massacres are most likely all followed by a feud, so judging by your rdps, the enrage timer or the boss%hp you stop dps early or later on. You want to bring him to 21.5-22% and wait for a massacre, clump up while it's casting and use tranq/divine hymn etc right afterwards. After that's done you push him to the 20% transition w/o getting any caustics - it's always 14 seconds from massacre hit to the next wave of caustics - hit hero (he receives 10% more damage during this phase) and pop your 1200 stat potions as well.

Note: If you push him while entering a feud phase you should be aware that it takes another roughly 10s after the transition until the bot is up and running again so you might lose a tank.

Our Strat on Chimaeron is really easy:

3 tanks
    7 healers

Tanks taunt off each other at each Massacre. This aligns perfectly with 2 stacks of Break per tank.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Later massacres are most likely all followed by a feud, so judging by your rdps, the enrage timer or the boss%hp you stop dps early or later on. You want to bring him to 21.5-22% and wait for a massacre, clump up while it's casting and use tranq/divine hymn etc right afterwards. After that's done you push him to the 20% transition w/o getting any caustics - it's always 14 seconds from massacre hit to the next wave of caustics - hit hero (he receives 10% more damage during this phase) and pop your 1200 stat potions as well.

Note: If you push him while entering a feud phase you should be aware that it takes another roughly 10s after the transition until the bot is up and running again so you might lose a tank.
    Thanks. This post took us from 7% wipe to kill.

How do you handle the break stacks? We were using three tanks and they were not falling off between the normal phase and feud in time for the new tank to switch.

You're probably not handling the tanking quite right if you have stacks of Break on all 3 tanks when Feud happens.

Look at it like this ... each 'phase' = a normal section of tanking with Double attacks, plus one Feud section with Double attacks, ending with the Massacre where the bot is back online and you all spread out again. Tanks A and B handle the first 'phase', tanks A and C handle the second 'phase, then A and B, A and C, alternating.

B and C should only every gain stacks of Break during the Feud phase, never before, and then only up to 2 stacks of Break.

A will almost always have 4 stacks of Break and can be a 'DPS tank'.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.