Thread: Heroic Al'Akir 10 advice

Heroic Al'Akir 10 advice

My guild has moved on to heroic Al'akir and we've been working extraordinarily hard on trying to get past the first phase. We're running 3 healers, myself (Holy Paladin), a resto druid and a resto shaman. Its' become quite frustrating seen as we've put in a weeks worth of full raid nights dedicated to just him and have barely made it to phase two, and when we did make it to phase two, over half the raid was dead.

For those who have downed him, what are some of the popular strats that you use? We have 5 groups spread out fairly evenly around the platform, each group has two people in it. One person is designated to soak the lightning damage while the other person moves out of it.

I'm attaching a link to our very early attempts on this to show you kind of what we're aiming for. Keep in mind that our attempts were quite abominable, to put it mildly.
    we've made adjustments since then, and I'm personally not getting hit by quite as much and have adjusted my UI so that I'm more aware of whats gonna happen next.
    I was using power aura's in this video to announce when my focus target (the boss) was casting wind burst but it wasn't working correctly, sometimes it announced as he began to cast, sometimes midway through, and sometimes it announced when I'm already fllying off the edge ~.~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXr1_Xaa6OA

I wasn't there for the first few hours that my guild tried this, so my recollection is based on about 10 attempts, but there's one huge difference between what we did and what you did. We had eight people spread out individually and only one set of two. One of those two was assigned to move out whenever there was lightning on that spot. In your video, you've got two people standing in the middle of the lightning, so you need to run 20 yards, which makes you take a lot of damage and spend a lot of time not healing. You should completely rework your positioning.

alright I'll be sure to bring that up. I was watching some videos and I saw that was one of the things other guilds were doing differently.

I can't yet give you any advice on this, probably gonna start trys on him next week, but I'm gonna go ahead and take advantage of the thread =p

Is the only change made to the fight that the lightning strikes stay longer on the platform during phase one, and that more tornadoes are going around, or are there more changes?

If I find any new strategies or tips I'll make sure to post here.

the lightning strikes take up a larger area I believe, I don't really remember what reg al'akir was like. lol. But it chains continuously to anybody inside of it. ice damage from the ice patches as well as the lightning strikes are significantly larger, and I believe wind burst casts faster? it's a 4 seconds cast on heroic (I think it's 5 on reg, I'll have to look that up for you).
    Getting hit by a squall line is almost a guaranteed wipe in P1. it picks you up as usual then throws you off the edge, lightning strikes will also chain if you're off the platform, so it's even more important to not get hit by them.

P2 the adds have more health, I think that's really the only change there, and P3 the clouds last longer, so from my understanding, the hardest phase is P1, everything else is pretty easy. You just have to make it past P1 with your raid alive.