Thread: Heroic Magmaw 10 video, Warrior Tank PoV

Heroic Magmaw 10 video, Warrior Tank PoV

We finally beat Heroic Magmaw 10 last night and I wanted to share our video with the tank community. I am our Warrior Tank for this fight so the video shows the fight from a tanking perspective:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VALGu3UMaxc

Hopefully it is helpful to any of you out there who are working on this challenging fight. I'll try to answer any questions, but I do explain some of the finer points in the video description.
    Grymauch, Dwarf Warrior, From Chaos: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rymauch/simple

Can't watch the clip because of restrictions based on country

Thanks for your video we're going to try Magmaw10HM tonight
    It seems pretty simple according to your video but you say "we finally beat...", allowing me to believe you have struggled hard ^^ Could you tell what are the big difficulties ? Is it only the amount of raid-heal and tank-heal ?

Good kill, very well executed. I also liked the fact that the music is not some techno or death-metal crap that every single video tends to have.

We struggled most with the raid damage from Magmaw (Lava Spew combined with everything else that is going on). We spread out Paladin Raid CDs to help with the Lava Spews (2 of every 3 Spews were covered with a raid CD). Tank CD usage is also important. I used Shield Wall before being Mangled with a call to the healers to give them a heads-up that a Mangle was coming. I also used Last Stand + Enraged Regeneration + Resist trinket when I began a phase of tanking Magmaw (following a Head phase). This helped to smooth things out.

An additional decision to reduce damage was to have tank swaps. The constructs do Fire damage as a significant part of their damage so it is better to have the tank with the Mangle debuff (-50% armor) on the constructs than on Magmaw, who does only Physical damage to the tank (outside of raid-wide abilities).
    Grymauch, Dwarf Warrior, From Chaos: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rymauch/simple

Excellent video Grymauch. We are trying Magmaw tonight and I have linked your video in our guild forum for everyone to watch. The tanks and melee in our group appreciate all your point of view videos.

Another excellent choice of music. We all got a kick out of Weird Science and these songs please also.

Grymauch,
    Thanks very much for the video. My guild is going to be working on this fight starting tonight.

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you could give me some guidance on:

How did you handle the maggot adds? Were ranged assigned to these until they were dead and then switch to the constructs? Were they kited somehow? Did the Hunter in your guild do anything special like spec for entrapment?

Did you find it easier to Tank swap? I have seen a couple other videos (Rocket Surgery and Availed) where they just use 1 tank for Magmaw and 1 tank for the constructs.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    -Kalilah

For the Parasites:
    We have a DK who kites the adds and takes them out with help from our Warlock. Kiting with a Mage is another option and there are probably others.

For tank swaps:
    I already mentioned why we swap, and I think it's fairly clear so I'll repeat it, but feel free to question any of the specifics:
    The constructs do Fire damage as a significant part of their damage so it is better to have the tank with the Mangle debuff (-50% armor) on the constructs than on Magmaw, who does only Physical damage to the tank (outside of raid-wide abilities).

Basically, I made the choice to have the tank with the Increased Physical Damage Taken Debuff on the target who does less Physical Damage (Constructs).
    Last edited by Grymauch; 03-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.