Thread: Making good use of old content profession recipes

Making good use of old content profession recipes

As something of an experimenter when it comes to gameplay, finding some interesting interactions with my professions and old recipes and/or items from them:

Engineering: Frost Grenade - on a 60 second cooldown, these are an aoe 5 second root effect that does not have a level cap. As in, they can be used successfully on Magmaw's parasites, or on Cho'gall for the adds that spawn from the Fester Blood cast, among other situations. Best part about these versus a talent like entrapment or an ability like ring of frost: They are usable by any engineer, and the cooldown for these is not shared. Also, it has a fairly decent radius where it can be thrown, allowing safe use on adds that are dangerous at close range. *Taught by trainer at 335 skill

Leatherworking Drums: Yes, of course many people are famiiliar with using Drums of Forgotton Kings as a sub-par filler for a missing Blessing of Kings, Embrace of the Shale Spider, or Mark of the Wild, but less known are these gems from the Burning Crusade Tier:

Leatherworking: Drums of Speed - using these provides any raid member within 40 yards a 15% movement speed increase for 30 seconds. It stacks, applies to mounted speed, and best of all do not share the level limitation of some other drum buff effects from Leatherworking. *Pattern is a reputation vendor item at faction-specific reputations in Nagrand at Honored

Leatherworking: Drums of Panic - 2 second fear effect on up to 5 hostile targets within 8 yards. Once again, no inconvenient level restriction to worry about. One place these can shine is when used to interrupt the "Worship" cast on the Cho'gall encounter, unlike many other items or class abilities, the 2 second duration of the fear combined with the fact that the fear is a Magic type debuff and thus dispellable allow for an aoe break of the effect with minimal loss of control to the players involved. *Pattern is available at Honored reputation with the Keepers of Time faction in the Caverns of Time region of Tanarsis

Other items beg to be tested but unavailable to me so far such as Engineering: Arcane Bomb (Incredibly rare drop rate world pattern, most often seen dropping from things like the world boss Nightmare Dragons removed in the Shattering)

And of course, other professions also have quirky odds and ends, please continue the thread with your experience.

I tend to think most older recipes are somewhat useless but a repair bot is still pretty awesome. Nitro boosts are handy too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    Leatherworking: Drums of Speed - using these provides any raid member within 40 yards a 15% movement speed increase for 30 seconds. It stacks, applies to mounted speed, and best of all do not share the level limitation of some other drum buff effects from Leatherworking. *Pattern is a reputation vendor item at faction-specific reputations in Nagrand at Honored
    That sounds awesome for heroic atramedes. I'm going to try that out.

Drums of speed are the main reason LW is probably the most useful raiding profession in the game imo (resist enchants being another reason). Stat bonuses are nice and all, but a 15% aoe speed boost for 30sec is something you won't get from stats/gems. With all the movement required in today's raid encounters, these are extremely valuable.

Rudolpho, when we first started heroic Atramedes I had my group filled with classes who didn't have their own means of easily avoiding the breath in the air phase and I used it just before he picked his first target each time. There are plenty of other situations where these come in super handy. For example, they were great for kiting Magmaw's adds before the recent change and they can also potentially save your (or the raid's) life during Ascendant Council, esp on heroic.