+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recruiting for raid comp insead of using existing guild members

Recruiting for raid comp insead of using existing guild members

Recently left a guild where raid spots were not based on performance, but at the same time veteran guild raiders were sat for either pugs or fresh recruits who fit the Raid Leader's "ideal" composition of classes for whichever fight currently focused for progression. However, rather than be clear when posting recruitment goals specifically, not only was the guild listed as "Open" recruitment, as well as advertising 25 man guild raids that in reality were an unreliable chance at a 25 man Baradin Hold that met the 20/25 minimum for guild raid status, and went so far as to recruit unwanted/unneeded classes to "Flesh out our third 10s raid team" (translation: alt run/ 60% guild run with trade spam pugs to fill.) Some guild officers became hostile and vindictive when I left with my raid geared and progression worthy raider to go to a guild where I had a stable raid spot.

What happened to:
    a) "Bring the player, not the class?"

b) Any sort of loyalty to guild members or seniority/time invested in guild

P.S. in the case of duplication of clases, one of the two players (often the better of the two) gets sat or in one case, "encouraged" to reroll in order to have a raid spot (recently the better rogue rerolled a freshly leveled/geared resto/balance druid)

P.P.S. While at the same time having geared veteran raiders benched, their recent guild first 10 man Nefarian had in the raid a recruit that was in guild less than a day before the run.

As a raid leader myself i must say its a dam hard balancing act.

You want to encourage new people to saty and the only way to do that is to give them some sort of trial.
    You need the regulars
    you need a certain amount of raid comp to make everyones life easier.

you should bring the player but u cant bring all melee DPS either.
    It sounds to me like they where just badly structured.
    We often have long talks in my guild about how best to please everyone and who / what we should be recruiting and realistic goals.

it sound like they are goin about things the wrong way but believe me from personal experiance its a horrible job

I completely understand balancing class mechanics against raid encounters, I play a high utility ranged dps class (read: hunter) my problem lies in the somewhat misleading recruiting promises of raid spots et cetera while the reality is more of a "we raid with our friends, no we don't care how good you are" mindset combined with the guild attitude of "Let's stand back and watch as the 'leftover' and 'surplus' raiders we invited struggle to find compatible raid times / class balace" aggravated by the GM's policy of filling vacancies in his group from other group's core members first, whenever possible rather than grabbing any of said 'surplus' or 'alternate' raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    ... my problem lies in the somewhat misleading recruiting promises of raid spots et cetera ... combined with ... the GM's policy of filling vacancies in his group from other group's core members first, whenever possible rather than grabbing any of said 'surplus' or 'alternate' raiders.
    It sounds as though this guild is a 10 man guild. They have a single, ten man group that is focused on progression. Players not normally in that group are basically the 'B team', free to raid by themselves as long as they organize/run it themselves, but available to the 'A team' whenever needed. That may not be what they say on the recruiting poster, but that sounds like what is going on.

If that is not what you are looking for, I would simply tell the management your reasons on the way out. Not every guild fits everyone.. so just be sure to ask the best questions you can while looking for the next guild, and find a home that you like. I wouldn't spend any time or energy trying to convince the guild you are 'right' for leaving.. they will never agree, and you know what they say about arguing on the internet. If you want to give a short, concise list of reasons to the GM/RL/Officers, fine. That may help them improve in the future. The best thing you can do is move on, and not waste time and energy worrying about a situation you cannot change. (Since you are a hunter... to put it another way, simply disengage, and possibly feign)

+ Reply to Thread