+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need YOUR help! (pre-approved)

I need YOUR help! (pre-approved)

Posted with Penlowe's permission:

Hi! I am an undergraduate student at Bellarmine University. I am researching World of Warcraft players and personality types. Any and all WoW players are needed and welcome to participate in this study. All you need to do is complete the survey, which will take about 20-25 minutes to complete. For every survey completed, I will donate $1 (U.S., up to a maximum $100) to Child’s Play Charity, a charity that donates video games and consoles to children’s hospitals.

The survey is here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BUPsychStudy

If you would like to know more about my study, you can contact me at BUPsychProject@gmail.com

Thank you for your participation!

It would take a less than 20 mins if you removed all the duplicate questions.

Quote Originally Posted by swelt View Post
    It would take a less than 20 mins if you removed all the duplicate questions.
    I thought they were intended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Some questions are repeated twice on the same page... several questions seemed to be asked 3, 4 or more times. Either there's something "clever and automatic" that's going a bit wrong or it's just sloppily constructed.

hmmm...
    having taken over 90% of the survey, i did not finish it.
    Why? because of the duplicate questions and the apparent fishing for wether or not MMOG players are "conservative" or "liberal".

go ask in trade...

I did not start it, and will probably not start it at all.

But I know that such tests should present multiple questions about the same topic. However they should vary a little bit and not be exactly the same.

Lol, conservative or liberal. I'm not American. I'm Dutch. We have more choices than 2 in our political system. Much more....

I apologize for the duplicate questions, though I assure you every single question is important. Furthermore, random assignment often spurts out similar questions on the same page.

The "conservative" questions also serve a purpose. This is not a secret "addiction" survey or trying to discriminate against WoW players. Several admin from various forums have went through my entire survey, question by question, to ensure the safety and integrity of you guys.

If you have any concerns at all, please email me at BUPsychStudy@gmail.com and I can clarify things. While I cannot post my hypothesis on here, I can say this study is attempting to abolish many of the common stereotypes surrounding WoW.

Thank you

Edit- Also, if you have partially completed the survey and quit, it will let you pick back up where you left off if you go back onto the survey to complete it. I greatly appreciate everyone who has chosen to participate. And remember, your survey is worth $1 to Child's Play Charity. It's all for the greater good
    Last edited by BUPsychStudy; 02-21-2011 at 06:02 AM.

I want to give much thanks to everyone who participated in this survey! I currently have 79 completed surveys, just a bit short of the goal 100. If you are interested in knowing the results after they are finalized, you can email me at BUPsychProject@gmail.com and I will be happy to send them to you.

Thanks everyone

The repeat questions really were annoying, they weren't just similar they were the exact same questions; was it a memory test?

I understand the annoyance with the repeat questions, especially when they appear on the same page with random assignment. It is not a memory test, so for those who are reading this and (hopefully) going to go take the survey, do not worry about memorizing all of your answers. I do assure everyone, however, that all of the questions are important and vital to the purpose of the study.

Thank you everyone!

I've got 90 completed surveys, only 10 more to go!

Alot of times you need to have a control set for.the questions. Thus the duplicate questions. They check to see if you are answering honestly. Almost every "scientific" survey will do this.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Thank you klor, that is correct. It also gives us the ethical right to throw out any surveys that are completely contradictory. If there were no repeats and someone answered sporadically or straight down one column, we wouldn't have the right to throw it out because they may actually feel that way. This way, there are no issues with that right

98 surveys completed!! Only two more to go!!

doesnt take long,

same questions most wow personality thesis type things ask.

been in contact with a few people doing these tbh.

most of them are the usual: Do those with issues in unfamiliar social settings allocate more time to mmorpg's in an attempt to avoid said situations as a defense mechanism sorta stuff.

tbh way i see it: if you like the game you're going to invest time proportionally to the amount of fun you have while playing it. don't get me wrong there are ofc cases of people who find it easier to form friendships with the internet as a barrier to keep it all simple and arguably less complicated due to the partial anonymity of the said relationship, but to be honest, all the people i know in game that i consider friends, i think if i met them in real life we'd have probably hit it off anyway, even with the internet barrier there's still the same banter that i would have say, at the pub that sorta thing.
    justin.tv/Belligra

Watch me play SC2 ladder and enjoy the lolz

I've completed the survey. What threw me off a bit was the 'center of attention' and 'meeting people' theme, with - in an international context odd questions like 'stand during the national anthem' or 'tough on crime', 'liberal or conservative' sprinkled in.

Due to the brevity of the questions, I'm not sure it's possible to say 'I don't mind being the center of attention, but I don't seek to be the center of attention.'.
    In the same way, there are many repetitions of 'meeting people'. I'm not sure it's possible in the survey to say 'I don't mind meeting people in the course of whatever I'm doing, but I don't go out to just meet people.'.
    Stephanius Tankadin <The Emerald Knights> Aggramar EU

Where can we find the results of your survey?

I'd like to make a prediction, you'll find no correlation with the type of personality and the amount of time played.

I took the survey...

I miss inkblots...
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

Thanks for participating everyone! If you would like the results from this study, please email me at BUPsychProject@gmail.com

Would it be possible to simply post them here?

Think it would be easier than replying to mails
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread