Thread: (25M) Heroic Maloriak: Vile Swirls help

(25M) Heroic Maloriak: Vile Swirls help

Tank make up: Add tanks, Warrior/DK; Maloriak Tank: Druid
    Raid make up: 7 healers, 5 melee dps, 10 range dps (3 locks)

So our problem is quite a few things: First its AOE dps, we are barely downing them before the next vial phase; if they are even all down. Next its AOE threat (or AOE dps not waiting long enough for our warrior tank to get enough threat?), I'm unsure. I solo tank 1 vile at a time and have our melee/lesser AOE dps target that as the main dps target, we are just falling short. Any tips on getting these guys down in a more timely manner? Should AOE dps be going balls out on the viles as they're spawning? Any tips for this portion of the fight are welcome

You don't have to kill them until the next vial phase 'starts', there are still roughly 20s left until the action of the next phase takes place.

And you two-tank those viles? We use a DK on Maloriak due to better magic damage reduction options than the druid, druids doing kitty/dps duty and i tank all five of them. MD explo trap + tricks from our rogues, spread rend via blood and thunder and hit them all with inner rage - clave spam + revenge. Who shall pull aggro from you? Mages got images, warlock have soulshatter and owls only draw aggro from one target at a time, just taunt it back. Tell your dps to tab targets as you do, cast/tab/cast/tab and so.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    You don't have to kill them until the next vial phase 'starts', there are still roughly 20s left until the action of the next phase takes place.

And you two-tank those viles? We use a DK on Maloriak due to better magic damage reduction options than the druid, druids doing kitty/dps duty and i tank all five of them. MD explo trap + tricks from our rogues, spread rend via blood and thunder and hit them all with inner rage - clave spam + revenge. Who shall pull aggro from you? Mages got images, warlock have soulshatter and owls only draw aggro from one target at a time, just taunt it back. Tell your dps to tab targets as you do, cast/tab/cast/tab and so.
    Yeah we use 2 tanks for the viles because we use 2 tanks for the aberrations. Thanks for the advise; hopefully using these tweaks we'll net our maloriak kill

Hello,

I'll share my Maloriak 25 HC experience with you.

Our raid setup was:
    - 3 tanks--> 2 warriors ( me one of those) and 1 pally.
    - 7 heals--> 3 pallys, 2 discs, 1 holy priest, y shammy
    - 5 melee--> dk unholy, warr arms, shamy, rogue and 1 pally
    - 10 casters--> 2 demon locks, 2 chikens, 3 mages, shammy, 2 spriests

It's very important, at least in the first kill, to respecc just for the boss. That means all the locks should go demon, all the mages should go fire, etc.. to maximise the aoe dmg.

We started with me tanking the boss. We assigned 2 ppl ( me and the enh shammy) to interrupt the storms and the arms warr interrupting some adds.

To interrupt the storm there is a trick. You dont want to let the storm tick, even once. To acomplish this you have to watch at the top of your screen, just above the head of the boss. You will see, some fractions of seconds before the cast bar of the storm appears, the animation of the storm ( some lightning and stuff). Thats where you should interrupt. If you do it right, the storm won't tick even once.

The adds, we interrupted them all at the start. Then, when blue/red phase started, we didn't interrupt. Only interrupting the last one, just before green phase. It's very important to do it like this. That way, your adds tanks can meet before green phase starts ( 1 or 2 secs before, and with cds up). That way, dps can AOE in no time.

Then you have black phase. In that phase I was tanking the boss. Just stay away from him, close to the pot. Move if you see some black thing approaching. And do not stay near the boss when he finishes channeling ( he will hit you once, and that hit is, most of the times, fatal).

For us the pally tanked the adds, alone. That way all the adds follow the same path. If you use two tanks there, it gets more complicated. All rangeds should be in the middle, spread. Forming a rectangle. The adds are tanked outside that rectangle, starting at the boss and doing "circles" arround the room. All mele/locks demon should be behind the adds, dpsing. And never, never, never, stay in the tanks path.

If you do it that way, and always follow the same path, dps can time some of theyr cds. Cuz they know where will you be at a certain time and, for example, they wil put mushrooms and explode em, etc... Moving the adds correctly is vital for this fight.

Blue phase goes normally, like in normal. Red phase its also the same. Just use some cds to mitigate some flame dmg and INTERRUPT storms, at all costs.

For the last phase, you should know that magma jets are casted roughly every 4 secs. You should try to think about a route, to move the boss. When he is casting flame jets, move away from him, then he will come at you and you should reorientate the boss for the next flame jet. Its a bit tricky, you have to be fast in reorientating. And watch out from the ice orbs.

If you need to know something else just ask!

You will kill the adds faster with people AOEing instead of marking them to be killed one by one. The tank should be receiving MDs and tricks once the 5th add spawns.

This is how I pick them up as a warrior:

I make sure rend's refreshed on Maloriak shortly before the adds spawn. Once the first add spawns, I shield slam it. Then I devastate the next closest one. I cleave once 3-4 have spawned. When the 5th add spawns, I thunderclap and AOE taunt (the boss is immune to taunt in this phase) to ensure they all stay on me until tricks goes off. Once they're all beating on the tank, he should be able to hold threat just fine by cleaving and refreshing rend with thunderclap. I also use shockwave on CD, but I make sure I pull them out about 10 yards really fast to make sure they aren't in any goo before I stun them. The tank can easily be #1 damage done on vile swill if he's doing it right (I generally do about ~50k dps while tanking swill), although he'll probably do quite a bit less if he's trying really hard not to take any extra sludge dmg.

I usually use retaliation as the first add is spawning during the first swill phase, and I sometimes use a golemblood potion when they spawn the second time around. You can also try using recklessness if you think the healers can still keep you up fine. I also use Inner Rage on cooldown while aoe tanking. This is a HUGE help.

Since it's a warrior tank on the adds and you have 3 tanks, have the warrior put vigilance on the DK tank and have the DK taunt a single add out and tank it fulltime. This will give the warrior unlimited taunts.

One other trick he can try, if he's still having issues, is tanking Maloriak until the dark magic phase starts. This feeds the tank some vengeance, but there's a chance it could fall off before all the adds actually start attacking him. The boss tank also has to know exactly when to taunt the boss, since too early means vengeance will fall off and too late means taunt won't work and you'll have to end up tankin Maloriak.

Edit: BTW, make sure you tell your dps not to slow the adds. The first attempt or two on this boss, I had major issues with the adds cause dps were slowing them and it made kiting a pain. I was out of melee range of them quite a bit, since I had to move from goo and they'd take forever to catch back up to me.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 03-04-2011 at 05:57 AM.