+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New in Networking field- seeking advise

New in Networking field- seeking advise

I hope im not going too far off topic, but I figured this is a good place to ask considering the nature of the community. Recently, I been trying to change career paths. I just became A+ / Network+ certified as well as CCENT. I am working on CCNA certification. Now that I have at least some credentials, Ive started looking for work in my area. Im slightly concerned because all of the job postings specifically ask for ms server/windows server experience along with several other levels of experience I don't have. This raises a concern. Am I going to be able to find even entry level employment with the pre mentioned credentials? I dont have a degree in computer science, So any direction here would be a big help to me. What else can I do to get my foot in the door and gain some real world experience?
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Look for internships and get the 60 day trial of MS server. (put it on a VM to experiment and learn with. It's not the same as experience, but familiarity with what you're looking at will help.)

Also, just start applying. Eventually you'll get interviews. Once you actually start talking to the tech people and can come across as bright, willing to and capable of learning and generally competent (assuming you ARE generally competent), eventually someone will say "hell with his experience, he seems solid let's give him a shot."

I've definitely had people come in to interview for a job which they weren't necessarily a fit for but we ended up hiring them for something anyway just because they were obviously going to be an asset (they were).

To Alent: So, I can apply for an internship even though im long out of school now?

To Ion: As a hiring officer/person, What are you looking for in someone that may not be a fit for the actual position they have applied for, but may be a fit for another position? This is all very new to me being as I havent had to look for a job in a long time. I feel really akward walking into some of these places due that fact, and the fact that on paper I "could" apply for very high paying jobs but in reality I probily dont know my ass from my elbow at the moment.
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Depending on your state, internships don't necessarily require you to be a student, i know in california, internships need to be compensated so school credit or some hourly wage is required, but a $15 an hour job to gain experience, and a high likelihood of getting hired when the internship ends is definitely worth it.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Depending on your state, internships don't necessarily require you to be a student, i know in california, internships need to be compensated so school credit or some hourly wage is required, but a $15 an hour job to gain experience, and a high likelihood of getting hired when the internship ends is definitely worth it.

id be fine with 15 an hour for as long as it took. i really didnt even consider it as an option. where dose one start? do i head to the local collage? i certianly dont see any on craigslist.

you can try starting off on networking websites like LinkedIn

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread